Smoking

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Smoking.

Post by tamithomas »

This thread is probably not gonna go too far lol. These subjects always stir up the air.

letthedreamdescend
Learner
Learner

Post by letthedreamdescend »

letthedreamdescend wrote:
tamithomas wrote:
lalal0ve wrote:It's to stop future smokers. The government is trying to associate rotting hearts, babies with second hand smoke related illnesses and decaying teeth with smoking for kids. I would rather smoking be taboo then being the norm.
Then the double standard is horrible in society where drinking causes just as much damage yet it's promoted to no end. Why demonize one but celebrate the other? Drinking: Liver problems, alcohol poisoning and quite a few other medical problems. how it hurts others: The reaction to alcohol can make on either violent, stupid enough to get behind the wheel or make someone a victim.
I think drinking should be treated the same way, I make another post responding to you about it a little. If people smoke or drink socially or once in a while, I don't mind. Constant drinking and smoking are wrong. I think commercializing of alcohol should disappear altogether.
Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before
Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar
And you live as you've never lived before

kaysagossiper
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kaysagossiper »

I'm 20 and I've also never smoked! Here I thought I was the only one.

I work in a hospital and it's hard for me to see so many sick people that only did it to themselves. That includes smoking, overeating/obesity, alcohol, and we even had a girl the other day who died from anorexia. Sometimes I want to slap them in the face and tell them to cut it out! But there will always be something that someone chooses to abuse and well, that's life.

Did anyone see that southpark episode where they had the leader of some anti-smoking campaign and the guy was morbidly obese and stuffing his face with cheeseburgers the whole time? I think they nailed it right on the head, everyone has their poison.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

kaysagossiper wrote:I'm 20 and I've also never smoked! Here I thought I was the only one.

I work in a hospital and it's hard for me to see so many sick people that only did it to themselves. That includes smoking, overeating/obesity, alcohol, and we even had a girl the other day who died from anorexia. Sometimes I want to slap them in the face and tell them to cut it out! But there will always be something that someone chooses to abuse and well, that's life.

Did anyone see that southpark episode where they had the leader of some anti-smoking campaign and the guy was morbidly obese and stuffing his face with cheeseburgers the whole time? I think they nailed it right on the head, everyone has their poison.
I loved that episode, it really did hit the nail on the head. No matter who it is, everyone has their poison so for people to feel holier than thou is pointless because we are a sepcies of consumers. It's a fact, weather we realize it or not everyone has their poison of choice. Even Coffee and Tea is classified as poison because caffeine is by technicality a drug.

Blueberry
Informer
Informer

Post by Blueberry »

I have never smoked. The smell is enough to keep me away. I used to go to my friends house and his dad smoked...I'd leave and I'd smell so bad and so would my coat so I'd have to wash it AGAIN. The smell would make my hair stink and just ugh. Made my head hurt and eyes water.

Not only that but I am scared at what it could do to my otherwise not wonderful health. I know a few people that led long and healthy lives of smoking, but I've seen too much suffering and death due to smoking. Not going to take that risk!

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

Just listening to the radio, and there is a new law coming into effect here (Ireland) where the cigarrette packets all have to be unbranded (bar the name of the brand in small writing at the bottom of the box) and all the same colour. We are the second country in the world to bring it in. They'll all have an image that takes up most of the box with really graphic pictures of the negative effects of smoking.

I'm really going to try and give up smoking when I'm drinking, I think the last cigarette I had was nearly three weeks ago. I just don't know why I crave them so bad when I'm drinking but don't really have any want for them any other time.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

Our country sometimes talks about new law where people can buy cigarettes only in pharmacy with a medical certificate what your doctor gave you.
I do not think that really gonna happen but you never know :D
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

tamithomas wrote:Totally agree about the commercials about drinking. It has become too much of a norm to get drunk every weekend. Being an alcoholic has become a status quo basically which is sickening. I'm one of the few that has been on both ends of the stick..my grandmother died of emphasima while being an alcoholic and chain smoker. However, on the flip side of the coin: My mother in law died of lung cancer and not once ever got exposed to even second hand smoke. Happened all by its own. So I'm not completely sold when people say that smoking is the only reason that peopel get lung cancer, Just like any other cancer out there, people are predisposed to it through genetics. It just takes a trigger weather it be a smoking,fire place smoke inhaling or simply bad nutrition. No one has isolated what triggers cancer into affect so I find the studies on it biased it trying to point fingers.

Either way though, I do believe in the choice to be pro or against something but ignorance gets no one anywhere. The smokers are trash attitude is total bull and is infact counter productive considering if you corner and scold someone, they're not going to listen...they're going to tell you to go fuck yourself. After all, smokers are still human beings.

ps starting to wonder if this thread wasn't created just to stir the pot. This topic was doomed from the start lol.
Totally agree. I'm an adult child of an alcoholic. I barely drink and I don't even like it. People always consider alcohol like any other number of things, one time I refused a glass of red wine, the people that were eating with me teased me about it like: "Oh are you pregnant?" Fuck off. I wnated to cry, it was so frustrating, a smoker is going to stick a cigarette in your mouth and light it and ask you "Oh why don't you smoke? are you pregnant?". It's a real double standard.

I would be caught dead though, before smoking at the presence of a child, of a teen, I 'm very careful about not giving bad examples.
I hate the smell on clothes too, I'd never smokle IN MY HOUSE with non smokers guests. That's just common curtesy.

I hate to sound AGAIN like I'm defending cigarettes, but alcoholism in the long run makes people mentally damaged. Psychiatric conditions arise because of alcohol abuse.
Everybody pretty much has heard about AA, but how many have heard about AL-ANON? Not nearly as much, I bet. Every alcoholic has a deep life altering effect on 4 people in his life, statistically. Each alcoholic, 4 innocent "victims". It's not just about drinking and driving, it's about behaviour, your spouse, kids, friends, siblings, parents.
A smoker has not an effect on anyone else, if you don't smoke in the face of someone else and make them breath in your puff of smoke. I really want to cut back though.

QUESTION: Lowest price of a 20 cigarettes packet in your country?
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

lowest is prob 2euros(1,7 pounds, 2,57 dollars) and highest about 4 euros(3,4 pounds, 5.20 dollars)
But like Marbolo, Camel are like 3,15 euros (2.67 pounds, 4.05 dollars)

Is that expencive? :D

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

ggeyeliner wrote:lowest is prob 2euros(1,7 pounds, 2,57 dollars) and highest about 4 euros(3,4 pounds, 5.20 dollars)

That's really cheap! Lowest price: Pall Mall, Winston, Diana etc. 4,30 euros.. then something in the middle, like 4,60 for Lucky Strike. I don't know if there's anything more expensive than Marlboros, are at 5 euros if I remembre well.

It's not cheap but in Ireland and UK I think they have it way worse.. :?

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

sleep84 wrote:
tamithomas wrote:Totally agree about the commercials about drinking. It has become too much of a norm to get drunk every weekend. Being an alcoholic has become a status quo basically which is sickening. I'm one of the few that has been on both ends of the stick..my grandmother died of emphasima while being an alcoholic and chain smoker. However, on the flip side of the coin: My mother in law died of lung cancer and not once ever got exposed to even second hand smoke. Happened all by its own. So I'm not completely sold when people say that smoking is the only reason that peopel get lung cancer, Just like any other cancer out there, people are predisposed to it through genetics. It just takes a trigger weather it be a smoking,fire place smoke inhaling or simply bad nutrition. No one has isolated what triggers cancer into affect so I find the studies on it biased it trying to point fingers.

Either way though, I do believe in the choice to be pro or against something but ignorance gets no one anywhere. The smokers are trash attitude is total bull and is infact counter productive considering if you corner and scold someone, they're not going to listen...they're going to tell you to go fuck yourself. After all, smokers are still human beings.

ps starting to wonder if this thread wasn't created just to stir the pot. This topic was doomed from the start lol.
Totally agree. I'm an adult child of an alcoholic. I barely drink and I don't even like it. People always consider alcohol like any other number of things, one time I refused a glass of red wine, the people that were eating with me teased me about it like: "Oh are you pregnant?" Fuck off. I wnated to cry, it was so frustrating, a smoker is going to stick a cigarette in your mouth and light it and ask you "Oh why don't you smoke? are you pregnant?". It's a real double standard.

I would be caught dead though, before smoking at the presence of a child, of a teen, I 'm very careful about not giving bad examples.
I hate the smell on clothes too, I'd never smokle IN MY HOUSE with non smokers guests. That's just common curtesy.

I hate to sound AGAIN like I'm defending cigarettes, but alcoholism in the long run makes people mentally damaged. Psychiatric conditions arise because of alcohol abuse.
Everybody pretty much has heard about AA, but how many have heard about AL-ANON? Not nearly as much, I bet. Every alcoholic has a deep life altering effect on 4 people in his life, statistically. Each alcoholic, 4 innocent "victims". It's not just about drinking and driving, it's about behaviour, your spouse, kids, friends, siblings, parents.
A smoker has not an effect on anyone else, if you don't smoke in the face of someone else and make them breath in your puff of smoke. I really want to cut back though.

I gotta agree about the alcohol. Every beaten child I've ever heard of the parent was a drinker. I've never heard of a kid getting beaten from a parent that was just a smoker. Both of them imo are bad but the double standard drives me nuts. One is socially accepted while the other is scorned yet 50 years ago it used to be the reverse.

Cheapest in Canada is 6.29$ but can't remember the name.

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

sleep84 wrote:

Here in Ireland, 20 cigs are €9.10/$11.86/£7.80

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

sleep84 wrote:
ggeyeliner wrote:lowest is prob 2euros(1,7 pounds, 2,57 dollars) and highest about 4 euros(3,4 pounds, 5.20 dollars)

That's really cheap! Lowest price: Pall Mall, Winston, Diana etc. 4,30 euros.. then something in the middle, like 4,60 for Lucky Strike. I don't know if there's anything more expensive than Marlboros, are at 5 euros if I remembre well.

It's not cheap but in Ireland and UK I think they have it way worse.. :?
Pall Mal and WInston? We have it about 2,45 euros or like that. Why I get the feeling you are from northen-europe :D Maybe Finland? :D There are little bit more expensive than my country. And Norway and Sweden are too expensive too.
They are like welfare countries.

But I think cigarette pack price depends peoples payment.
I heard that too Ireland and UK are sooo expensive with their cigarettes.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

I gotta agree about the alcohol. Every beaten child I've ever heard of the parent was a drinker. I've never heard of a kid getting beaten from a parent that was just a smoker. Both of them imo are bad but the double standard drives me nuts. One is socially accepted while the other is scorned yet 50 years ago it used to be the reverse.
Yes. this bothers me so much. Getting shit-faced and damaging your liver are just the norm and no one really says anything about it, it's just "haha having a good time!" (I'm not against drinking, but being an alcoholic is different.) Yet every smoker is "omg lung cancer bad bad bad bad bad BAD BAD STAY AWAY GONNA DIE BAD PERSON BAD CHOICES BAD". Like, they're both harming your body.

ALSO. This is just a mini vent but it drives me nuts when people say "wow, smoking is really bad for you" when the person scolding downs a Big Mac four times a week, doesn't get in any exercise, drinks nothing but soda... yeah, smoking is bad for you, but so is a lot of stuff, like eating shit all the time.

As for price, I don't know what the lowest is around here but I think the highest is around 7 bucks or just under.

Post by Guest »

sleep84 wrote:
I think around £6-7.00

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

ggeyeliner wrote: Pall Mal and WInston? We have it about 2,45 euros or like that. Why I get the feeling you are from northen-europe :D Maybe Finland? :D There are little bit more expensive than my country. And Norway and Sweden are too expensive too.
They are like welfare countries.
But I think cigarette pack price depends peoples payment.
I heard that too Ireland and UK are sooo expensive with their cigarettes.
Northern Italy, actually :D
MakeupGirly wrote:Here in Ireland, 20 cigs are €9.10/$11.86/£7.80
Oh.My.God. :o

It definitely depends on people's payments and the prices of everyting else compared to salaries etc.

Gee, I thought we had it bad..but 9euros for a packet? Oh my...

Gremlin
Talker
Talker

Post by Gremlin »

I'm not a smoker but in Australia the cheapest you can get is a pack of Holiday 22's for $11.50.

The cheapest mainstream cigarettes that I have seen are probably Craven's which are around $20-$22 for a 25pk.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

If you want cheap packs, travel to Belarus, buy few blocks and enjoy :D

methadonepretty
Talker
Talker

Post by methadonepretty »

It's cheaper to buy baccie and smoke rollies in the UK, how does that translate abroad? A 12.5g bag lasts me about twice as long as a 20 pack of straights would, and costs a bit less...

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

Yeas, in my country too. We have famous brand Choice with different flavors. Cherry is the most famous one.

Return to “Health”