The Implant

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Implant

Post by GentleAblaze »

Hi everyone, so I'm thinking about going on the contraceptive implant (nexplanon) but I'm a bit nervous about it because I have no idea how my body will react to it. I was wondering if anyone here had been on it and what your thoughts are about it? :)

(Sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I had a look and couldn't find one!)

littlesquidxo
Learner
Learner

Re: The Implant

Post by littlesquidxo »

Hi,

First thing to say is that the implant affects different people differently so whilst I'm going to give you the details of my experience with it, this may not affect you. ALSO it does not hurt to have it put it no matter what people say. It's like a small pinch in your arm and then it's done.

For the first year of having the implant you MAY get irregular periods. I got quite irregular periods for the first year of having it but towards the end of the first year they seemed to go back to being regular which is awesome ^^

I also experienced quite bad stomach cramps - I mean stomach cramps suck anyway but these were a tad more painful.

I would recommend it though because these might not affect you at all. Some people find that when they have the implant it stops their period altogether.

I like having the implant though because you have it put in your arm and that's it for three years - no worries about getting pregnant. Obviously you should still wear condoms because it doesn't protect about STI's but if you're not very good at remembering to take the pill (such as myself) then the implant is a good way to go.

Alternatively you could also try the coil or the injection. :)

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

Thanks for sharing your experience! :) I've done quite a bit of research into what contraceptive suits me best and I do like the idea of the implant because like you say it's 3 years of definitely not going pregnant, I'm 22 and I don't think I want to have children for at least five years! I like that it's so foolproof, it doesn't depend on me taking or using it like the pill does as taking the pill seems like a faff and I'd also probably forget.

Yeah the way the implant is fitted doesn't sound too bad, I've heard that getting a coil is incredibly painful and I also hate injections - although I know I'll have to grin and bear a local anaesthetic injection in my arm when they put it in! I think I'd honestly just prefer to look away while it's being put in as I'm a bit of a squeamish person haha.

I really hope it makes my periods stop completely, that would be very nice and I'd save a bit of money! I've read some horror stories on the internet about women with the implant bleeding constantly or getting other bad side effects like severe moodiness and weight gain, so I really hope that when I get it put in I can just forget about it and not get those side effects. Are the irregular periods and cramps the only side effects you've experienced?

What's it like having it in your arm? I mean I think feeling it's there with your fingers would be a bit strange lol, but I'm sure you get used to it!

MurphyZeether
Learner
Learner

The Implant

Post by MurphyZeether »

Hello!

I'm 22 as well and I got the implant last month. I've had irregular bleeding ever since but I assume it will subside with time! I haven't had any cramps at all though and I often forget it's even there.

When I felt other people's implants it used to freak me out and I thought it would feel weird to have it in my own arm but once it's in you don't feel it anymore and apart from some light bruising within the first few days of getting it you can't tell it's there at all. The procedure itself, for me, was over within 2 minutes. It was fast and painless and now I don't have to worry about anything for the next 3 years :)

I must admit I've been feeling quite moody recently but I'm also in University so I think that is more to do with stress than the implant and I have neither gained or lost weight so I wouldn't worry about them side effects but like littlesquidxo said, the implant works differently with everyone.

The good thing is unlike the injection, you can have the implant removed if you do feel it isn't working right with your body Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlesquidxo
Learner
Learner

Post by littlesquidxo »

GentleAblaze wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience! :) I've done quite a bit of research into what contraceptive suits me best and I do like the idea of the implant because like you say it's 3 years of definitely not going pregnant, I'm 22 and I don't think I want to have children for at least five years! I like that it's so foolproof, it doesn't depend on me taking or using it like the pill does as taking the pill seems like a faff and I'd also probably forget.

Yeah the way the implant is fitted doesn't sound too bad, I've heard that getting a coil is incredibly painful and I also hate injections - although I know I'll have to grin and bear a local anaesthetic injection in my arm when they put it in! I think I'd honestly just prefer to look away while it's being put in as I'm a bit of a squeamish person haha.

I really hope it makes my periods stop completely, that would be very nice and I'd save a bit of money! I've read some horror stories on the internet about women with the implant bleeding constantly or getting other bad side effects like severe moodiness and weight gain, so I really hope that when I get it put in I can just forget about it and not get those side effects. Are the irregular periods and cramps the only side effects you've experienced?

What's it like having it in your arm? I mean I think feeling it's there with your fingers would be a bit strange lol, but I'm sure you get used to it!
Yeah as I said I only got irregular bleeding for the first year and then it subsided back to normal :)

As for feeling it in your arm - unless you poke where it is you don't feel it at all. It really is quite easy to forget you have it. When it's first inserted you will get a rather delightful bruise and look like you've been roughly manhandled but as most bruises do, it'll fade after a couple days :)

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

Thanks both for the helpful replies! :) I booked it today for the 30th so I have a bit of a wait now, one thing I forgot to ask the nurse was why they say the implant should be fitted when you're on your period whereas NHS direct states it can be put in at any time in your cycle as long as you know you're not pregnant? I guess it's simpler to sync it that way though!

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

That's it, I've had it put in today :) the insertion wasn't too bad, although I swear the anaesthetic didn't really work because I still felt sharpness and stuff as it went in. I forgot to ask how long I should keep the bandage on but one of the leaflets they gave me says 24 hours while one says I should leave it on at least 48 hours...so I guess I should just avoid getting it wet when I have a shower!

Chlo14
Learner
Learner

Post by Chlo14 »

This may be too late... But wrap it in cling film and keep your arm raised in the shower and it should be fine!

I had mine at the end of last year, still have it in now.
I've gained weight and my acne has worsened (it was mild but is now severe), and my periods are hella out but its not too bad. Im gonna give it a few more months and see how it goes, i don't want to rush into getting it removed- I'd been on the pill for two years (Dianette and Marvelon) but the mood swings were too much.

Anyone recommend something else? Id preferred the pill in the terms of it helped my acne and it was regular with periods- my boyfriend is away at uni so not having any control over when it starts is annoying, as i may only see him for a weekend every 6 weeks. The mood swings were just too much on those though, and they had to change the pill every year (due to risks).

Hazel
Informer
Informer

Post by Hazel »

Chlo14 wrote:This may be too late... But wrap it in cling film and keep your arm raised in the shower and it should be fine!

I had mine at the end of last year, still have it in now.
I've gained weight and my acne has worsened (it was mild but is now severe), and my periods are hella out but its not too bad. Im gonna give it a few more months and see how it goes, i don't want to rush into getting it removed- I'd been on the pill for two years (Dianette and Marvelon) but the mood swings were too much.

Anyone recommend something else? Id preferred the pill in the terms of it helped my acne and it was regular with periods- my boyfriend is away at uni so not having any control over when it starts is annoying, as i may only see him for a weekend every 6 weeks. The mood swings were just too much on those though, and they had to change the pill every year (due to risks).
I think the only other contraception that doesn't cause hormonal changes (besides condoms) is the copper IUD.

I had the implant fitted on Tuesday, no side effects so far except a little bit of spotting. I took the bandage off after a day and I'm going to take the dressing off tonight, it's still a little sore but hopefully it will heal soon.

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

^ Yeah I've had light bleeding for a week now even though my normal period isn't due until tomorrow...very frustrating as I'm staying with my boyfriend at the moment! I hope it stops soon. To me it's pointless to have it and not even be able to have sex. :x

I had some bruising and soreness after insertion but it went away within a week so that's okay. I think the implant may have so far made me a bit grumpier than usual...actually being able to get intimate would probably help... (bow chicka wow wow 8-) )

Hazel
Informer
Informer

Post by Hazel »

I've had continuous bleeding since having it fitted.... I'm thinking of getting the damn thing taken out :(

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

^ Yeah my abnormal bleeding has been getting really annoying too! I stopped spotting last Saturday - not since the last time I posted but after that one stopped I only got 12 days off before it started again! I had sex on Monday and (sorry this is gross) bled a little afterwards and again ever since. I went to the Doctor about it as bleeding after sex is definitely not normal. I was told it's all fine and prescribed Norethisterone which is a pill containing a form of progesterone and can be used to delay periods (I wish I'd used it last year when I was on my period on holiday) I think my doc said to only take it once a day rather than the usual twice a day because of the fact that I'm already getting a daily dose of progesterone from the implant. I'm hoping this will settle down the bleeding because it's been quite annoying so far and I don't want to have to get the implant removed if it doesn't settle down!

So yeah Hazel you might like to try Norethisterone too and hopefully it will help :)

Hazel
Informer
Informer

Post by Hazel »

GentleAblaze wrote:^ Yeah my abnormal bleeding has been getting really annoying too! I stopped spotting last Saturday - not since the last time I posted but after that one stopped I only got 12 days off before it started again! I had sex on Monday and (sorry this is gross) bled a little afterwards and again ever since. I went to the Doctor about it as bleeding after sex is definitely not normal. I was told it's all fine and prescribed Norethisterone which is a pill containing a form of progesterone and can be used to delay periods (I wish I'd used it last year when I was on my period on holiday) I think my doc said to only take it once a day rather than the usual twice a day because of the fact that I'm already getting a daily dose of progesterone from the implant. I'm hoping this will settle down the bleeding because it's been quite annoying so far and I don't want to have to get the implant removed if it doesn't settle down!

So yeah Hazel you might like to try Norethisterone too and hopefully it will help :)
Thankfully the bleeding has stopped :) It stopped around a week ago after having the implant approx 1 and a half months, so hopefully yours will stop too. The downside is I have no idea when my next period will be (or if I will have one at all). Glad I didn't have to take another pill because I got the implant for that reason :)

Return to “Health”