How long do you keep clothes?

BornThisWay94

How long do you keep clothes?

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I'm a shopaholic, I'll admit. I absolutely love to shop, buy clothes and fill up my wardrobe but I've been going through my closet and noticed I still have a lot of clothes I bought years and years ago, some clothes I even have from when I was 15 and a Freshman in High School (I'm a Junior in College now) and wondered why I still have them.

I just don't see a need to throw them out. They all fit for the most part, have no holes or stains, so why get rid of them? Yet some people I know think it's so odd that I've held onto clothes for this long.

lovinglyssa
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How long do you keep clothes?

Post by lovinglyssa »

i go through my clothes at least once a year and if i didnt wear an item of clothing at least once during that year then it goes to goodwill, i tend to keep way to much clothes so i try to get rkd of things that i know are just taking up space and dont wear anymore.

Post by Guest »

i go through my closet at least once or twice a year and get rid of things i haven't worn or just don't like. i have a bad habit of buying lots of t-shirts so i try and go through those at least every two or three months and get rid of stuff i haven't worn in a while.

it's not that weird to keep things from high school if you still wear them regularly. i couldn't even fit into stuff i wore when i was 15 so props that you can :tu:

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

I clean my closet out randomly. Sometimes I get rid of one or two things, then sometimes it's 10.
Most of the time I keep things until they are falling apart or when I find myself not wearing them anymore.

Which reminds me I'm in need of a clothing purge.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

bloomingpeony
Talker
Talker

Post by bloomingpeony »

I'm the same :D it's hard for me to get rid of something that is in good condition. I still have clothes from childhood too (I'm realistic though lol and only keep what I'll wear). I usually clear out my wardrobe with what I won't wear, when there's no more room or when I feel like re-organising my clothes :)

belle12
Informer
Informer

Post by belle12 »

I donate things that are in good condition every few months if I haven't worn them in a while. Besides that, I don't throw anything away unless it's damaged somehow! I think as long as you wash things regularly enough it's fine to keep them for ages. If you like it, keep it! :tu:

wanttoread
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by wanttoread »

It's difficult for me to get rid of clothes. I like to keep them (even if I don't wear them).

loserslurgy
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by loserslurgy »

Is it sad that I keep clothes forever? I don't know though, I think it has to do with growing up poor. (lmao)

jsmxo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by jsmxo »

i keep my clothes until they no longer fit me or are extremely, extremely worn. i like to get my moneys worth!

Itsonlyme
Informer
Informer

Post by Itsonlyme »

jsmxo wrote:i keep my clothes until they no longer fit me or are extremely, extremely worn. i like to get my moneys worth!
Same - but I love shopping and I'm a bit of a hoarder. I always think that if I throw something out or donate it, I'll miss the opportunity to wear it again. Then at the same time, I own about 5 white single tops and generally wear them in rotation... Throw on a nice jacket for work, jeans or shorts for the weekend.

ScottyLee
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by ScottyLee »

A really long time for sure. my size never changes.

MagnoliaTree
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by MagnoliaTree »

It depends, but I keep most of them for a long time.

poeticguru1
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by poeticguru1 »

Mostly for a long time until I realize there's no use for them and then I donate.

Demonita
Debater
Debater

Post by Demonita »

I keep my clothes for quite some time. If i know however that some pieces i will never again wear then i just donate them.
In Sorte Diaboli

XxChikaxX
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by XxChikaxX »

I have kept my clothes for long time but now that i've been loosing weight have been donating them :)

XxChikaxX
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by XxChikaxX »

I have kept my clothes for long time but now that i've been loosing weight have been donating them :)

bintacular
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by bintacular »

Congrats on your weight loss Mimi :tu:

I keep clothes for way too long because I'm totally guilty of "what if". I just had my third child a few months ago and in between kids somewhere, a few years ago, I was in the absolute best shape of my life. My closet is stuffed with a small handful of things I can and do wear, all lost between clothes that I hope will fit again someday and can't get rid of because it means I won't be in shape again / clothes that I love for maternity and if I get rid of them that means no more babies and I know I don't want more babies but just can't accept it yet / clothes I know I'll never wear again but this one was my wedding dress and this one I wore to a sentimental event and this one I wore to my dad's funeral and if I toss it that means I don't care.

Yeah I'm a mess :D :D :D :D :D :D

WaningMoon
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by WaningMoon »

I keep my clothes for quite a long time. Why get rid of them if they are still good? :roll:

mandies
Learner
Learner

Post by mandies »

Right now, I go through my closet every few months and go through my clothing. Anything I don't really wear, I will donate to a few charities that do pick ups (Big Brothers, Developmental Disabilities Association etc) or I will sell via a few Facebook groups or on eBay.

I don't consider myself a minimalist but my boyfriend and I have been keeping our things to a minimum and I feel much better having a pared down closet.

NurseJess788
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by NurseJess788 »

I try to keep them as long as possible but I won’t wear worn out stuff that looks like it’s been through the wash 500 times. Wear all depends on fabric and where you bought an item.

Return to “Fashion Discussion”