Guest Artists.

wunderkind
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Guest Artists.

Post by wunderkind »

Abra27 wrote:Lisa has had her comments on approval since the Smoky Look for Hooded Eyes debacle. I wonder if she was getting hate from PixiPoop fans who thought *she* was the copycat.
Thanks, I didn't know that !

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

now what would all those 'clean' freaks would say about legendary makeup artist touching 'the client's' face with her bare hands? so many people bitch about Tanya doing that

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

She only put comments on approval for Mary and Charlotte Tilbury (probably didn't want any haters to get through considering they were giving their time for free) and also for the hooded eye tutorial (because I suspect she thought some less than nice people might have picked on the model's appearance.)

She never puts them on approval when it's just her, or a professional model.

laurie
Debater
Debater

Post by laurie »

mary's video... i am actually speechless. all i can really say is that her finished look was absolutely gorgeous.

and then watching other youtube career "beauty gurus" in my sub box do their stupid vlogmas videos with their cats and baby voices... :-?

Abra27
Debater
Debater

Post by Abra27 »

Hahahahahahahha, or stopping every five seconds to fix their hair COUGH TIFFANY D COUGH DULCE CANDY.

Do not want.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

Post by beautysuperwoman »

laurie wrote:mary's video... i am actually speechless. all i can really say is that her finished look was absolutely gorgeous.

and then watching other youtube career "beauty gurus" in my sub box do their stupid vlogmas videos with their cats and baby voices... :-?
my sentiments exactly.
substance and intelligence vs blahblahblabbityblah
I just really love candles, and Nars Orgasm blush, and all things MAC, and Bath and Body Works Sales, and Michael Kors, and my boyfriendandmypuppy!!!!

really.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

She does foundation pretty much the opposite way to Lisa. The 'put it only where you need it' approach v 'slap it on everywhere!' Both work though. It's good to see different techniques. I like that she kept the mascara mistake too instead of editing it out.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

SallyCinnamon wrote:She does foundation pretty much the opposite way to Lisa. The 'put it only where you need it' approach v 'slap it on everywhere!' Both work though. It's good to see different techniques. I like that she kept the mascara mistake too instead of editing it out.
you'll notice she's obsessed w/ face+body...... you can't get away with that approach with more pigmented or drier textured foundations. When I use face+body I usually slap it on and do fingers too. If I use something more matte or with more coverage, I usually use a brush or a sponge. If I do use my fingers, I thin it out with moisturizer or primer and I warm it up with my fingers and blend gradually as I apply.

and I love the mascara thing too, it's true, we all make mistakes.
I just really love candles, and Nars Orgasm blush, and all things MAC, and Bath and Body Works Sales, and Michael Kors, and my boyfriendandmypuppy!!!!

really.

tubhouse
Informer
Informer

Post by tubhouse »

beautysuperwoman wrote:
SallyCinnamon wrote:She does foundation pretty much the opposite way to Lisa. The 'put it only where you need it' approach v 'slap it on everywhere!' Both work though. It's good to see different techniques. I like that she kept the mascara mistake too instead of editing it out.
you'll notice she's obsessed w/ face+body...... you can't get away with that approach with more pigmented or drier textured foundations. When I use face+body I usually slap it on and do fingers too. If I use something more matte or with more coverage, I usually use a brush or a sponge. If I do use my fingers, I thin it out with moisturizer or primer and I warm it up with my fingers and blend gradually as I apply.

Yeah, thinner products - with a more lotion type texture - blend into the skin really well with fingers. Thicker, heavier coverage foundations tend to apply better with brushes.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

tubhouse wrote:
beautysuperwoman wrote:

Yeah, thinner products - with a more lotion type texture - blend into the skin really well with fingers. Thicker, heavier coverage foundations tend to apply better with brushes.
this is why the concept of applying powder with sponges makes me cringe. BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH

really.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney »

I LOVED Mary's video. I was hoping for her to make an appearance since Lisa announced the guest artists.

I've gotten a lot of grief in the past for using my hands to apply foundation while I would be on jobs (mouthy bridesmaids particularly). Now that I've seen somebody of her stature do it, I'm feeling all, "HA! I told you bitches I knew what I was doing!"

I don't find brushes dirty (sponges, including my beautyblenders at times, yes), but when you are working on large wedding parties (mine typically range from 4 to 7 bridesmaids), foundation brushes are the most impractical thing imaginable. Its just not cost effective to have up to 10 of the same brush in my kit. All I need to is wipe off my hands and do a quick rub of mild hand sanitizer, and I'm ready to roll again.

I only use MUFE face and body (I just don't care for any mac products) and thinned out cream foundation, so my hands are the best tools for it in my experience. I can always build up the coverage a lot quicker if need be, and I have more control of the texture.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

artlovemoney wrote:I LOVED Mary's video. I was hoping for her to make an appearance since Lisa announced the guest artists.

I've gotten a lot of grief in the past for using my hands to apply foundation while I would be on jobs (mouthy bridesmaids particularly). Now that I've seen somebody of her stature do it, I'm feeling all, "HA! I told you bitches I knew what I was doing!"

I don't find brushes dirty (sponges, including my beautyblenders at times, yes), but when you are working on large wedding parties (mine typically range from 4 to 7 bridesmaids), foundation brushes are the most impractical thing imaginable. Its just not cost effective to have up to 10 of the same brush in my kit. All I need to is wipe off my hands and do a quick rub of mild hand sanitizer, and I'm ready to roll again.

I only use MUFE face and body (I just don't care for any mac products) and thinned out cream foundation, so my hands are the best tools for it in my experience. I can always build up the coverage a lot quicker if need be, and I have more control of the texture.

here I agree with the clean freaks, wiping the hands and sanitiser is not enough, you need to wash thoroughly between each person, sanitiser and wipes don't get rid of all bacteria (it only stops bacteria from reproducing!) and the oil from one person's skin is being transferred onto another. not hygienic.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney »

^I was using that figuratively.

i wash and follow up with hand sanitizer. I can't even get rid of all the pigment with just a wipe.

however, it should be noted that you can't get rid of all the bacteria on your hands, not matter what you do.

WheresMyGun
Learner
Learner

Post by WheresMyGun »

It looks like if her face was sterile and now she gonna get disease from other persons hand/brush/sponge whatever :D Its not like our air is clean from dust and pollution.

I understand the idea of un-washed brushes but I bet any respected makeup artist, not even mentioning as successful as Mary washes her hands before touching models face...

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

true, as long as the color, oil and majority of bacteria is off, good.

btw artlovemoney, how much do you hate know-it-all clients who try to tell you what's up... oh you're the proffesional? Why did you hire me then?

really.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

WheresMyGun wrote:It looks like if her face was sterile and now she gonna get disease from other persons hand/brush/sponge whatever :D Its not like our air is clean from dust and pollution.

I understand the idea of un-washed brushes but I bet any respected makeup artist, not even mentioning as successful as Mary washes her hands before touching models face...
she sure as hell wouldn't have gotten as far as she did if she was dirty.

really.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney »

beautysuperwoman wrote:
btw artlovemoney, how much do you hate know-it-all clients who try to tell you what's up... oh you're the proffesional? Why did you hire me then?
They drive me up a WALL. I am by no means easily agitated, but good grief.

Its almost the same concept of don't piss off the person handling your food.

I would LOVE to see some of them get a 9 person bridal party out the door in an hour and a half- then they can say something to me.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

in all fairness when I worked in the events industry they had to have 20-30 girls done in 2 hours (3 artists), and those 'makeup artists' would use the same mascara (without the disposable spoolies), makeup brushes, same lipstick that wasn't disinfected straight from the bullet, and the hair was done with the same brush on all the girls. those were professionals too. don't even get me started on the quality of the makeup application. there's still a lot of shitty 'artists' out there

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

artlovemoney wrote:
beautysuperwoman wrote:
They drive me up a WALL. I am by no means easily agitated, but good grief.

Its almost the same concept of don't piss off the person handling your food.

I would LOVE to see some of them get a 9 person bridal party out the door in an hour and a half- then they can say something to me.
I pride myself on listening to what people really want, and executing that for them. But there's an infinite amount of snarky bitches that are:
-autumn/winter/spring/summer coloring and they can't use a certain colors (bitch, a neutral is a neutral for a reason)
-are afraid of lipstick washing them out so they wear fuschia...yeah that's doing you a lot of favours
-powder makes them look dry and cakey, every foundation on the planet settles into their lines...listen, I have used the specific formulas I use on dozens of people who have fine lines or dry skin, and it looked fantastic, let's put it on and see if I'm right or you're right
-allergic to non-natural products...ahhahahahah if only you knew how extremely unnatural your supposedly natural skin care is
-can't wear black mascara
-nothing can cover their dark circles (wanna bet?)
-overpluck their eyebrows but don't want me to make them look "fake"

and my personal favorite, foundation color delusion. If you want to be lighter or darker, be honest with yourself that you are crazy and unaccepting of your own skintone. But don't try to tell me you're an NC20 when you're clearly and NC40, or the reverse. kk?

i could go on.....

really.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

Alka wrote:in all fairness when I worked in the events industry they had to have 20-30 girls done in 2 hours (3 artists), and those 'makeup artists' would use the same mascara (without the disposable spoolies), makeup brushes, same lipstick that wasn't disinfected straight from the bullet, and the hair was done with the same brush on all the girls. those were professionals too. don't even get me started on the quality of the makeup application. there's still a lot of shitty 'artists' out there
absolutely, but I will say that a lot of the people you have interacted are the real world's version of supposed YT gurus, they talk and talk and talk, but they can't back it up and perform the most simple and basic tasks that would be required of a makeup artist.

I don't usually do entire parties, but even if I do, my very shortest time frame has been 6 people in 2.5 hrs. This includes consulting on what kind of look they want, matching up their concealer and foundation colors, adjusting and tweaking the look to what they want, sanitizing my brushes, etc etc etc.

I swear, I'm gonna put the following statement in my sig: "Just because someone calls oneself a proffesional, does not mean they are" -Me

really.

Return to “Lisa Eldridge”