Under eye concealers..

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Under eye concealers..

Post by Pixiepink » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 am

So I've noticed gurus tend to use two under eye concealers.. One to colour correct dark circles and the other to conceal or brighten.. A lot of them tend to be heavy handed too. I don't know how some gurus use so much concealer under their eyes without it creasing or settling into fine lines, as it happens to me with just one layer of concealer. What concealers do you guys find work good for dark under eye circles? Also does putting a setting powder help? when I tried using a powder it looked dry and crusty lol.

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Under eye concealers..

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Honestly I doubt they go out with all of it on, I think they only do it when filming because that's the only time when it looks okay. In person, they'd look 10 years older. Personally I use a corrector on the dark parts under the eye, usually avoiding the lines, and then I use a light skin-tone concealer on the rest. It creases a little bit but I find it's the most natural looking way to do it. I like Benefit's Erase Paste and Pixi's Correcting Concentrate to cancel out the dark circles, and I usually use Benefit's Boiing or Rimmel Match Perfection over the entire area. :)

DarthCassie
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthCassie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 pm

I like using a brightening cream under eye concealer it is what hides my bags the most. I only use one right now the sheercover duo, but when I use it up I think I wanna try one of the click pen brighteners because the cream tends to crease.

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Also, I forgot to mention, but I've heard a lot of great things about the Bare Minerals "Well Rested" powder. And if you go to Sephora trying to find one, do NOT get suckered into the Bobbi Brown correctors, the first ingredient is Petroleum Jelly, which means they are super greasy (and I've heard they crease so easily).

marieeeeee
Learner
Learner

Post by marieeeeee » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 pm

The new NARS concealer is pretty good. I have pretty serious undereye darkness and it covers it up well. My only issue with it is that it's a tiny bit drying, so I wear a regular makeup primer underneath. Doesn't crease and good coverage!

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:40 pm

marieeeeee wrote:The new NARS concealer is pretty good. I have pretty serious undereye darkness and it covers it up well. My only issue with it is that it's a tiny bit drying, so I wear a regular makeup primer underneath. Doesn't crease and good coverage!
What's the name? I might try it out!

ikeepitrealok
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ikeepitrealok » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 pm

ugh, i really want to perfect that undereye highlight with bright concealer but i can never do it.

marieeeeee
Learner
Learner

Post by marieeeeee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 am

urmotherwasahamster wrote:
marieeeeee wrote:The new NARS concealer is pretty good. I have pretty serious undereye darkness and it covers it up well. My only issue with it is that it's a tiny bit drying, so I wear a regular makeup primer underneath. Doesn't crease and good coverage!
What's the name? I might try it out!

Radiant creamy concealer :)

nicheee
Talker
Talker

Post by nicheee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am

i think they put stuff on heavy handed because you have to put on more makeup to make it show up on camera. idk how that whole stuff works though lol.

but i use mac studio fix concealer, the cream one in the pot, and i love how much coverage it gives my under eyes but i hate how easily it creases.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 pm

I used a theatrical foundation for corrector. Since it's wax based, it really sticks instead of sliding all over the place.
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:15 pm

marieeeeee wrote:Radiant creamy concealer :)
I believe I watched a review from gossmakeupartist about that, I'm definitely going to try it out.
artlovemoney wrote:I used a theatrical foundation for corrector. Since it's wax based, it really sticks instead of sliding all over the place.
Does it settle into fine lines at all?

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Nope!

Before I used that, i would put a silicone primer under my eyes, then concealer. Sometimes there needs to be a barrier of sorts between the skin and makeup.

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 pm

artlovemoney wrote:Nope!

Before I used that, i would put a silicone primer under my eyes, then concealer. Sometimes there needs to be a barrier of sorts between the skin and makeup.
Gahhhh, I need to find a wax-based concealer then. Even when I use a primer underneath my concealer, it just makes it harder to blend and then settles anyway. :(

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Also saw a tip to spray the brush with a bit of setting spray and use it under the eyes to help prevent creasing , never tried it though.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm

I never understood why cosmetic companies make undereye concealer so slippery. I won't assume it's common knowledge that the undereye area to be the most prone to wrinkles, and most expression lines form around the eye, but one would THINK that being in the beauty industry they would know that.

Yes, the area is delicate, so the less dragging the better, but really. A lot of them are just grease with color in them.

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm

urmotherwasahamster wrote:
artlovemoney wrote:Nope!

Gahhhh, I need to find a wax-based concealer then. Even when I use a primer underneath my concealer, it just makes it harder to blend and then settles anyway. :(
One I can recommend is the laura mercier secret camouflage concealer.

If you search online, you'll find many more options. I know that wax concealers get a bad rap for being "heavy", but it honeatly comes down to application, as with all makeup.

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am

urmotherwasahamster wrote:Also, I forgot to mention, but I've heard a lot of great things about the Bare Minerals "Well Rested" powder. And if you go to Sephora trying to find one, do NOT get suckered into the Bobbi Brown correctors, the first ingredient is Petroleum Jelly, which means they are super greasy (and I've heard they crease so easily).
I'm gonna have to disagree on both of these. Well Rested is seriously horrible, IMO. It doesn't matter if you use it over concealer or alone, it ends up looking cakey and accentuates every single flaw under your eyes. On the other hand, the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer and Corrector are two of my favorites (I'm a concealer junkie). I don't find them too slippery and they don't settle into fine lines. Granted, I always set all of my undereye concealers with powder.

I'm honestly not trying to make waves, just giving a different opinion. :)
"It's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

SuperBeachKid
Talker
Talker

Post by SuperBeachKid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 pm

I absolutely detest that cakey look of putting concealer under my eyes so I would always opt for a liquid concealer to keep it as moisturized as possible, but then I would find myself having to apply a cream concealer over top anyway because I have really dark under eyes due to genetics :( I did like using the MAC Moisture Cover though, too bad even the lightest shade is a bit too dark for me.. I just use one of those concealer palettes by Makeup Forever now because at least the shade is light enough, though I'm not fond of how greasy it can get.

I could use some suggestions myself actually lol :(

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Has anyone tried the amazing concealer? I have heard good things about it , I think you can get it in Sephora ?

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Laura Mercier in the small round pot. I can't remember the exact name. I have AWFUL under-eye circles. And I mean TERRIBLE. Very, very noticeable. They're purple and dark and veiny. This concealer helps a lot. It's a cream one so a bit of setting powder looks nice on top.
imma ball til the day i fall

makemeupcrazy
Talker
Talker

Post by makemeupcrazy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I really like the Sonia Kashuk quad that comes from target. I has a setting powder in it with a corrector and 2 different shades of concealer, I use the darker to mask my bluish purple areas and the lighter to brighten.

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:32 am

I'm getting really tired of the Erase Paste, honestly if any of you are thinking about getting it, don't expect it to actually cover really dark circles...I really like it for brightening but it's just not a corrector IMO. I think maybe if I got the darker shade, it would cancel out the tones better. :/

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 am

urmotherwasahamster wrote:I'm getting really tired of the Erase Paste, honestly if any of you are thinking about getting it, don't expect it to actually cover really dark circles...I really like it for brightening but it's just not a corrector IMO. I think maybe if I got the darker shade, it would cancel out the tones better. :/
I was already turned off by the name. "Paste" just doesn't appeal to me in any form, or fashion.

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm

artlovemoney wrote:
urmotherwasahamster wrote:I'm getting really tired of the Erase Paste, honestly if any of you are thinking about getting it, don't expect it to actually cover really dark circles...I really like it for brightening but it's just not a corrector IMO. I think maybe if I got the darker shade, it would cancel out the tones better. :/
I was already turned off by the name. "Paste" just doesn't appeal to me in any form, or fashion.
My mom calls it "cake paste", hahahaha. But yeah, I much prefer using the Pixi corrector over this one, I can't believe I spent so much money on it. :|

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm

has anyone used those maybelline instant age rewind concealers raved about on youtube?

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”