Ever been matched to the wrong shade by a MUA?

SpaceJunkie
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ever been matched to the wrong shade by a MUA?

Post by SpaceJunkie »

Apparently I can't "edit" my post anymore even though I was just previewing it xD but, this is the shade of concealer I got matched to at Sephora and the employee said it looked "great": http://m.imgur.com/account/queequeg092s/images/SyFXnVv

sophiapenelope
Stalker
Stalker

Post by sophiapenelope »

Yes! The majority of the time I am matched to the wrong shade by a MUA.

After reading this, I've noticed that a lot of people get matched wrong by MAC, and that honestly doesn't surprise me. I was in the airport and I decided to buy a new foundation so I went to the MAC counter, and the woman tested the foundation on my inner wrist. I honestly don't understand why you would test foundation on the inner wrist because it gets little direct sun exposure so therefore is a different shade to your face already. My inner wrist is a paler shade to my face so as you can guess, the foundation was the completely wrong colour and I didn't actually give it much thought at the time, it wasn't until I started using the foundation I realised. I had another experience just before Christmas when I went to buy the Studio Fix Fluid foundation..this time the woman didn't even colour match me properly! She gave me a shade, explained to me why she had chosen that shade and said if I can return it if I wasn't happy with the product. To be fair, the shade wasn't too far off, it was slightly orange but I always buy foundations that are more orange as I like them to be like that but if it was a person who never, then they would have had to return it to the store.

I find that the women on the makeup counters aren't always qualified, in fact the woman who works on my local benefit counter admitted that she isn't so I think thats why people have bad experiences with foundation shades..and sometimes the store lighting causes a problem for colour matching. I've actually had a positive experience at the Too Faced counter and the Chanel counter, also when I visited Sephora, they tested me using the Pantone Colour IQ and I must say I found it pretty accurate but sadly in the UK we don't have one and I can't remember my colour IQ number either.

Maybe one day we will find our perfect shades guys, haha

KittenOnTheInternet
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenOnTheInternet »

I get so annoyed trying to get someone else to shade match me. I have rosacea across my cheeks and nose so my face is usually pink to red, and I've got blue eyes, so they almost always automatically jump to something cool.

I ain't cool-toned. Like, at ALL. I am definitely neutral to warm. But no, sure, keep giving me that cool toned shade. I love looking like a dang corpse. :roll:
I'm really just here to make witty commentary. I'm not very good at witty commentary.

Stacie Anne
Debater
Debater

Post by Stacie Anne »

Constantly. I'm whiter than white with a neutral undertone, so it's near impossible to find a match for me. I always get matched to a pink undertone that's easily 4-5 shades too dark for me.

I tried Mac (in my early makeup days before I realised how diabolical of a company they are) and they were trying to shade match me for an hour before giving up as their shade range was so poor & only catered for 20 shades of medium-beige.
Benefit tried (again, before I realised how awful they are) and actually told me 'No one wants to be that pale so we always use a darker colour to make them look more alive'. I wiped it off & walked out. Cheeky bitch.
Urban Decay have failed on numerous occasions, their palest shades being way too dark for me.
Kat Von D failed. Whilst they were more than pale enough, their undertones are horrendous. The yellow tones are bright yellow, the neutral tones are super pink & the pink tones look like Pepto Bismol.
Nars Sheer Glow in Chantilly is almost right, just slightly too yellow so I just use it come summer.
I won't even go into the countless drugstore brands that turn me another colour.

The only company to shade match me correctly was Illamasqua & I've used it ever since.

realtalklady
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by realtalklady »

:)

Wombie
Learner
Learner

Post by Wombie »

Yes, anyone at Sephora or Ulta. I don't know if they count as MUA. Also any time a white MUA does my makeup it looks heinous. I just don't think they understand my skintone.

jollyfish
Learner
Learner

Post by jollyfish »

To this day I do not know what my true skin tone is :roll: I have had a few MUA's get pretty close but whatever i end up with always looks a bit off somehow..

too_curious
Learner
Learner

Post by too_curious »

I am extremely pale and I have rosacea so MUAs tend to stick me with anything that covers the red no matter how yellow and dark the foundation is.

idathoet
Lurker
Lurker

Post by idathoet »

I've had problems, too. I'm really pale and extremely yellow (closest match found is MAC NC10 but I'm still a bit lighter and more yellow). I'm an MUA myself and I've worked very hard to really understand different skin tones and undertones (i.e. Dark skin having red undertones if cool, Gold undertones is warm and super pale, almost albino, skin is usually blue toned). Most MUAs I know stick to working on people close to their own skin tone which makes them fall short when having to work on other skin tones.

MeMiMee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MeMiMee »

Another vote for MAC here. They were the first "high end" foundation I decided to try. I'm Scandinavian white, and the dude there was suggesting I get the second lightest shade with the comment that it's always better to go darker than lighter. Uh, no it isn't. I like being pale. I get the impression a lot of these makeup/beauty people think everyone wants to look like they have a major (fake orangey) tan or something.

Anyhoo, I got the lightest. Seemed fine enough as a shade, but hated the foundation's performance so much I've never bought Mac again. The end.

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”