Disappointing Products

DarthCassie
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Disappointing Products

Post by DarthCassie »

Old Thread that I created but I think it's helpful.

Recently very disappointed MAC Studio Fix Fluid, been trying to use it up for my project pan.
NYC Sunny Bronzer does not show up on my skin.
Benefit I'm Glam Therefore I'm Glam Palette

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Disappointing Products

Post by paperbackwriter »

The Maybelline eyestudio eyeshadow quad in purple icon, the one that's shaped like four arrows or chevrons or whatever, it's like this >>>>

The pigmentation is good but the colors themselves aren't the best, also I'm SUPER ALLERGIC to something in them, not sure which, and it makes me eyes all crusty and freaky

mcamn09
Learner
Learner

Post by mcamn09 »

I ordered some of the new elf palettes for specific eye colors and all but one arrived broken. Pretty disappointing. I won't be ordering from elf again.

SmileyXo
Talker
Talker

Post by SmileyXo »

Neutragena Deep Cream Cleanser something like that. Anyways, after using it, instead of fixing my mild acne it made it worse and broke me out completely :@

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

NYX Taupe. Thought it would be great to contor with and it just looks like my face is dirty.

volleyball201211
Debater
Debater

Post by volleyball201211 »

NYC dual ended liner- This thing is so dry! Bad pigmentation, too.
Mac eyeshadow- This isn't any shade, but I have bought 2 different Mythology eyeshadows and they both broke like, 2 weeks later. Good thing I only paid for one, :P
Neutrogena 3-1 Concealer for under eyes- This was really watery. No coverage. Kind of expensive, too.
China Glaze nailpolish in Liquid Leather? I think that's the name. This is so sheer, I need atleast 3 coats :(
Sinful Colors in Irish Green (again, not sure, it was the St. Patricks day color or whatever) THIS STUPID THING. I really need like, 7 coats for it to be a bit opaque.
GHD Heat Protector for normal hair- Made my hair oily, had a weird smell, and never seemed to dry? My hair sizzled the whole 30 minutes I needed to straighten my hair.

:bang: lol.
I LOVE CHEEZ-ITS. ESPECIALLY THE FOUR CHEESE ONES
Green Day is the best band in the world
GuruGossip is my reddit

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

Almay Moisturizing Liquid Eye Makeup Remover - I felt like I just dipped my face in a bucket of KFC's chicken.
Maybelline's Lipstick in Nude Nuances - Color was too nude for my skin tone.

OhhNoo!
Talker
Talker

Post by OhhNoo! »

Most BB creams. I don't mind that they are like tinted moisturizers (because honestly that is what I want now), but they don't live up to their claims and some have been very heavy and greasy even with using a minimal amount of product. I haven't tried Asian BB creams, but apparently a lot of them contain mineral oil, so I've refrained from ordering one online. That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something else soon

crapbarbie07
Informer
Informer

Post by crapbarbie07 »

Revlon Photoready airbrush foundation. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten it in the first place, as I didn't read review online to read that it is AWFUL for oily skin. My skin isn't even that greasy, just Tzone and cheeks, but this made me look like I sprayed water on my face and it hadn't dried. Awful, awful awful. Also, it's got these sparkles, which are supposed to make you look good on camera, but they're awful for everyday use, as when the sun hits you at a certain angle, it looks like you just stuck your face into glitter. Also, I find if you want to do light coverage, it is completely sheer, and if you want to do layers, by the 2nd one even, it feels very heavy, even though it's not full coverage.
LUSH face mask in cupcake. My friends and I went into lush and asked for the sales ladies opinion on which mask to get, since that's what we wanted. The woman chose the cupcake mask for me because it helped with excess grease and oily skin blablabla. They said to apply before it dried so it wouldn't clog your pores, so they recommended to leave it on for 5-10 minutes. Okay, first, unless you do a CRAZY thick layer, it dried in about 2 minutes. Second, no matter how much I applied, it never did ANYTHING, and unless i actually got into the shower with the mask and let the water take it off, it would leave my skin very, very tight feeling.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

All of the Herbal Essences styling products for curly hair =/

Setsuka27
Informer
Informer

Post by Setsuka27 »

I always get upset with Avon eyeshadows, the pigmentation is horrible!

volleyball201211
Debater
Debater

Post by volleyball201211 »

revlon liquid lipsticks! I love the color of all of them, but the smell is disgusting, and the product is super flaky.
l'oreal HIP duo in charming... I love the champagne color in there, but it's so.. chunky? Not the glitter, but the formulation. The purple has no pigmentation, either.
Bath & Body Works lotions in general... I have a bunch of these due to Hello Yellow sales, but they suck! Runny and oily.
Bath & Body Works shower gels, again in general. These things don't lather up! Maybe that's why they changed the formula!
Urban Decay matte eyeshadow in Chronic- This is such a gross green color. It's way darker than it is in the pan, and it looks like puke. It's very chalky, too.
Tokidoki Prisma gloss in Bullets- too sticky, sweet chemical smell. I used to love this, and I got a new one as they were very cheap... IDK what happened to it, maybe it was old?!
Cranky Girlz eyeshadows- These are from Dollar Tree, but my cousin got them for me for Christmas, so I tried them anyways. Some colors are really good, but this one gold color was straight up YELLOW. It had major fall out, and it broke.

yes, I have tried a lot of bad products! :P
I LOVE CHEEZ-ITS. ESPECIALLY THE FOUR CHEESE ONES
Green Day is the best band in the world
GuruGossip is my reddit

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

BH Cosmetics eye shadows. I got a 120 palette of them a few years back and it SUCKED. Half the shadows wouldn't even show up on my eyelid and the ones that did faded within half the day even with primer on. Will never buy again!

Also, Maybelline Fit Me foundations suck.

mcamn09
Learner
Learner

Post by mcamn09 »

mcamn09 wrote:I ordered some of the new elf palettes for specific eye colors and all but one arrived broken. Pretty disappointing. I won't be ordering from elf again.
I sent elf's customer service an email and received a response already that they will be sending me a replacement for my broken item. I thought I should update since they seem willing to make right on the transaction.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

mcamn09 wrote:
mcamn09 wrote:I ordered some of the new elf palettes for specific eye colors and all but one arrived broken. Pretty disappointing. I won't be ordering from elf again.
I sent elf's customer service an email and received a response already that they will be sending me a replacement for my broken item. I thought I should update since they seem willing to make right on the transaction.
ELF actually have really good customer service IMO.

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

volleyball201211 wrote:revlon liquid lipsticks! I love the color of all of them, but the smell is disgusting, and the product is super flaky.
I agree. The smell and texture are so weird.

Maybelline BB Cream- Made me greasy, even though my skin isn't that oily. I would like to try the Skin79 BB cream, though.
Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Candy Pink- I had to use several coats to make it show up on my lips.

gloves
Learner
Learner

Post by gloves »

NYX lipstick in Haute Melon. The formula was so awful. I threw it out, which I rarely do, but this was just unusable.
L'Oreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black felt tip liner. TiffanyD raves about this, but I thought it was super watery and not very bloack. Also the Voluminous Millions Mascara. Soooo clumpy. I returned both.

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick. It's so, so dry.

TwirlyGirly
Lurker
Lurker

Post by TwirlyGirly »

nothinggold wrote:NYX Taupe. Thought it would be great to contor with and it just looks like my face is dirty.
Just a question: how are you applying it?

NYX Taupe is a great color for contouring (as opposed to bronzing), because contouring is meant to create shadows. If you look at someone you'll see natural shadows created by high cheekbones are greyish taupe, not brown.

I was watching a Lisa ELdridge video recently, and noticed when she applies any powder product (blush, bronzer, contour, etc) she uses a very fluffy brush. First she sweeps the brush across the product, then she swooshes the bristles on on the back of her hand. That deposits quite a bit of the product on her hand.

Only then does she apply the product to the face. You would think there wouldn't be enough product left in the brush to make a difference, but there is - however, the effect is much more natural. As a matter of fact, if she needs more product on the brush, she takes it from the back of her hand, NOT the product itself.

You might want to watch a couple of her videos, and then give the Taupe blush another go-around as a contour color using her techniques for powder products. It may just be that you're using to much, and because of that it's not diffusing enough and giving an unnatural (and dirty) look.

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

TwirlyGirly wrote:
nothinggold wrote:NYX Taupe. Thought it would be great to contor with and it just looks like my face is dirty.
Just a question: how are you applying it?

NYX Taupe is a great color for contouring (as opposed to bronzing), because contouring is meant to create shadows. If you look at someone you'll see natural shadows created by high cheekbones are greyish taupe, not brown.

I was watching a Lisa ELdridge video recently, and noticed when she applies any powder product (blush, bronzer, contour, etc) she uses a very fluffy brush. First she sweeps the brush across the product, then she swooshes the bristles on on the back of her hand. That deposits quite a bit of the product on her hand.

Only then does she apply the product to the face. You would think there wouldn't be enough product left in the brush to make a difference, but there is - however, the effect is much more natural. As a matter of fact, if she needs more product on the brush, she takes it from the back of her hand, NOT the product itself.

You might want to watch a couple of her videos, and then give the Taupe blush another go-around as a contour color using her techniques for powder products. It may just be that you're using to much, and because of that it's not diffusing enough and giving an unnatural (and dirty) look.
I'm aware of how to contour. I've used NARS Laguna for the past months and with a light hand, it worked really well. Taupe just doesn't look great on my skin tone.

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”