Beauty Guru Product Recommendations

malloryxo
Talker
Talker

Beauty Guru Product Recommendations

Post by malloryxo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:11 pm

What are some products you bought after hearing a good review from a beauty guru? -Which guru recommended them? Were they a hit or a miss?

My purchases :
Tess Christine -
It cosmetics under eye concealer - thick formula, but it does a good job!
Maybelline master graphic eyeliner (although it didn't take much for me to buy this one since it's cheap.) - Does what I want it too/wasn't too hard to impress me with this

Zoella -
Born this way foundation by Too Faced - She didn't really recommend it but I was torn between two foundations and after seeing her use this one, and liking the way it looked, I decided to buy it. Overall, it wasn't everything I was hoping for, the coverage wasn't what I thought it would be, and the color is pretty yellow based, but it does hold up much longer than my regular drugstore ones.

Meghan Rienks
Mario Badescu drying lotion - just recently got this so I can't give much of a review, but I think I'll like it

Kathleen Lights
Nivea after shave balm for primer - once again, a cheap product, so it didn't need to impress me too much. I think it does a decent job, but it's not a holy grail find or anything like that.

Merry Christmas by the way! :xmas:

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beauty Guru Product Recommendations

Post by kayleeee » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Rachel Whitehurst:
Sephora Formula X Nail Polish. Wasn't too impressed at all. Then again I have very bad luck with nail polish in general.

Houseglass Ambient Light Powder. She raves about this, so I broke down and bought one. I do like it a lot and I'm happy with the nice soft glow it gives the skin.

Lisa Eldridge:
Not a product, but a tip. I remember a video where she suggested using a small dome duo-fiber brush for under-eye concealer. I bought one and have really liked this application versus a flat brush.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

Tsubaki
Informer
Informer

Post by Tsubaki » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:34 am

WOW, so many things I've tried from gurus.

Ingrid (Missglamorazzi):
The old anglophile Ingrid is still one of my references for when I want to try something new. She's the closest to my style. We have a similar skintone (NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji, Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Beige Ivory) and because she's got darker features, her suggestions generally work for me.
  • NARS Laguna Bronzer - my first bronzer after putting it off because I thought I didn't need it. It really helps give my face some colour when I'm sallow, so I use it all year around. I love it a lot and I can see myself going back to this.
  • NYX Beige Lip Gloss - I think it's a gorgeous pink but the scent really puts me off because I hate artificial cherry. Luckily it doesn't linger.
  • NARS Gina - my second NARS blush. I don't use it very much because I just don't use very orangey colours in general. It's just goes well for times when I do wear orange.
  • Sleek Rose Gold - remember that time when rose gold was huge? Honestly, it's a little disappointing because I'm not keen on the metallic sheen. Too much for me for everyday use. I just don't think it's as beautiful as people claim it to be. I just look like a disco ball.
Fleur (Fleurdeforce):
  • NARS Lhasa eyeshadow: I think it works for her best but it's a good eyeshadow. I just don't use greys very much.
  • Kiehl's Creamy Avocado Eye Treatment: It's decent but I don't think it's worth it.
Elle (AllThatGlitters21):
  • Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation - my very first mid-range/high-end foundation. Ingrid also used this foundation and that sealed the deal for me. I loved the finish of it but I didn't think it was the best colour match for me, or the best for my skin type. Nevertheless, people would compliment on how flawless my base looked when I wore that.
  • Miss Dior Cherie EDP - I have this perfume but it was definitely Elle that brought this to my attention, along with Sarah from Clothesencounters.
Essie (Essiebutton):
  • Bourjois Baked Blush in Rose Frisson - I thought it looked pretty, so I bought it. It's not my favourite blush. I hate it when it forms hardpan and I'm not keen on the scent either.
  • Nuxe Lip Balm - It's my favourite lip balm thus far. I love the smell and I love the unique texture.
Lisa Eldridge:
  • Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl - Technically, it's not my own purchase but it was something I wanted to try and my friend bought it for me for my birthday.
  • Illamasqua Anja eyeshadow - she used it in some looks and I thought it was the most beautiful blue ever. Viola from Killercolours also did a look with it and I was sold. It always cheers me up to look at this colour.
Amelia Liana:
  • MAC Morange - this was first brought to my attention by Clothesencounters (I believe Sarah owned the tube but Jenn would use it in some of the videos). When I saw Amelia's top MAC lipsticks, I was reintroduced to Morange and it was on my list to try. It was also because of a few other factors too: Cara Delevingne's orange lips, and being served at a restaurant by a waitress with orange lips.

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Teni Panosian/ MissMavenDotCom:
Too Faced Melted Liquid Lipstick in Melted Nude - love it, started experimenting by missing it with other colours to change the tone of the nude where I can.
Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer in Milk Chocolate - the smell is incredible and its really great for a touch of contouring or a nice bronze
theBalm Nude Tude palette - bit of a hit and miss really only use one or two shades super frequently but its nice enough
theBalm Betty Lou Manizer - love, done.
> Seriously when I first found her and was in my prime phase of fan girling her, I wanted EVERYTHING she used.

Lisa Eldridge:
Clarins Ever Matte Foundation - Lovely, wear it almost daily. Definitely a natural finish. I also mix this with my maybelline concealer and it is perfect, takes away the slightly too yellow tone of the concealer and helps to bump the coverage
Clinique Anti Blemish Foundation - I bought this prior but her recommendation just solidified my faith and love for it ;)
Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm - YES.
Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant - Love this. Highly recommend.
> I regularly stalk the "Products" section on her blog for new suggestions on what to buy

Karima McKimmie/Shameless Fripperies:
Josie Moran Coconut Watercolour Eyeshadow in Rio De Rose Gold - stunning, tad finnicky but definitely good to have.

Fleurdeforce:
Maxfactor Mascara - definitely worth a try but I would only buy on sale.
Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Eyeliner - not worth the hype in my opinion. I only have the nude one now.

Gossmakeupartist *shudder*
Paula's choice EVERYTHING. I will thank him for making me aware of the brand. Nothing more.

I probably missed some but alot of the time I will know of the product and when one of my faves uses it I will tend to want to get it more.
iHERB referral code: ZRN037

samanthabrown49
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Post by samanthabrown49 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Melissa Autry recommended a Loreal Butterfly mascara that I really love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novalux
Talker
Talker

Post by Novalux » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:31 pm

All the Guru's are talking about the benefit watts up highlighter and well i think it's waaayy over rated. I'm pale skinned and spent a lot of money on it and did not like it at all on my face. It doesn't last very long and it doesn't work well with my light skin.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Novalux
Talker
Talker

Post by Novalux » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I do want to add that i absolutely LOVE the Becca highlighter in moonstone. It's a creamy form in a compact. It works so much better than the powder compact just FYI

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:11 am

I actually bought the Clarisonic based on the Gurus and also my friend. Absolute BS seriously. Returned it when I realised what a waste it was.
iHERB referral code: ZRN037

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:54 pm

lisaeldridgedotcom
Becca SSP in Pearl. I really like this.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage concealer with a pinpoint brush. I like it, but too much of a learning curve when I am lazy.

essiebutton & chelseawears
Illamasqua Hollow Cream Pigment. I guess it's buildable, and contour is supposed to be subtle and all, but I don't love this. Way too sheer.

kristingehm
Bare Minerals Snazzy eyeshadow. I bought this sight unseen off ebay, and I approve.

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”