Your Regrettable Makeup Choices

Adele FlapBag
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Your Regrettable Makeup Choices

Post by Adele FlapBag » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:32 am

What unfortunate things were you doing with makeup until you learned better?

I had an instagram/concealer eyebrow phase. But not an arguably well applied instagram eyebrow. thick, opaque, squared off sharpie brows, no gradient/fade. Concealer to sharpen the line. 2013 was a dark time for me.

I also had a lot of really tragic, droopy looking winged liner attempts before accepting that a liquid liner cat eye is NOT gonna fucking happen on my hooded eyes, lol.

Chunky_Cocoa
Learner
Learner

Re: Your Regrettable Makeup Choices

Post by Chunky_Cocoa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:05 am

In high school, I tried to use a cheapy $1 black eyeliner mixed with chapstick as lipstick. That sucker bled ERRYwhere.
And also in high school, I decided I only needed like 3 eyebrow hairs on each eyebrow, so for like a year and a half I was walking around with black sharpie chola eyebrows.
And all through high school, I tried to make cakey powder foundation work on my super dry skin that I didn't know how to moisturize. Face flakes anyone?
And there was also that one time in high school that I wore SUPER winged out eyeliner for senior photos, like past my eyebrows. It was really heavy and looked super ridic.
High school was a bad period in my beauty journey.

jamielyn
Learner
Learner

Post by jamielyn » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Omg I remember in high school I would put WAY to much blush on without blending it or wearing foundation!! I hate to even write this because it's so embarrassing :-| But hey we learn from our mistakes right!? :tu: I never did cat eye because I remember when I tried the first time it looked so bad I was like eff it not even going to try. But I do like wearing it now. I've mastered the cat eye :D

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:46 pm

When I was 13 or 14 I saw something about highlighting, so I decided to try it and I ended up applying white glittery eyeshadow under my brows. The white glitter on my browbones was all the make up I wore as well, so there was nothing to distract from it.

sfg

Post by sfg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 pm

At the beginnings of my 9th grade emo phase, the only makeup I wore was thick black eyeliner on the lower lashline only. But it doesn't stop there, oh no. I extended it out, just a straight line, you couldn't even call it a wing. A straight line until just past my eyebrows. Sometimes I would just do it on one eye, too. I was super edgy, you guys. Good lord. I also often would put three little dots underneath my eye, kind of as a substitute for the anti-eyebrow piercing I desperately wanted but my parents wouldn't let me have (thank you Jesus for good parents). I also got really into eyeshadowsluts if anyone remembers that, and I would attempt to recreate their looks but I knew nothing of proper brushes, application, or blending so I looked a damn mess.

High school was fun.

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by RoseHammer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 pm

When I was like 15 I'd wear cheap bronze and gold eyeshadow and extend it into a super Egyptian cat eye thing. I must have looked so weird. At school I'd wear super dark, nearly black plum lipstick and didn't wax my brows. I didn't wear blush and I just looked pale and severe. No wonder people were scared of me.

woopidydoo
Learner
Learner

Post by woopidydoo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

I used to collect MAC during High School (Thanks to Xsparkage and Kailyn :tu: :rofl:) so I always did different makeup looks and wore them to school. I think I'm really good at makeup luckily but one eye look I kind of regret is Bright Fuchsia pigment all over the lid with Liquidlast Liner in Aqualine.

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 pm

- Waiting way too long in life to get my brows waxed/shaped/tweezed. I didn't realise not everyone who went to waxers had sperm or chola brows
- Skipping blush and bronzer for too long; especially bronzer - it really adds dimension and keeps my from looking like a creepy baby doll
- Wearing heavy coverage foundation when I didn't need it. I didn't (and still don't) have perfect skin, but I could've gotten away with light foundation or BB cream or TM and a good concealer for spots.

tinysapling
Talker
Talker

Post by tinysapling » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:39 am

i wore too much foundation in high school. i also used to wear this frosty light blue gel-like eyeshadow to line the bottom of my eyes. shockingly, i got compliments on it, but it is something i regret so much. high school sucked. :|

badbitchlikethis
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by badbitchlikethis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:39 pm

When I first started getting into makeup, I would wear like HOT PINK blush and nothing else. No foundation, no concealer... it looked absolutely horrible with an uneven skin tone. I already have redness in my skin, I realize now that pink blushes are NOT my thing.

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Glitter 'eye shadow'. It was so much of an eye shadow as it was like a clear jelly with glitter in it. Oh, Jr. High. lol

Also as soon as my mom said I could wear liquid foundation I applied it like 5 times a day...for no real reason. I just liked putting it on I guess. I can't imagine how cakey that whole situation was.

orilla

Post by orilla » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I remember when I was 13/14 I went through the heavy black eyeliner phase. Enough said.

mychelle+
Informer
Informer

Post by mychelle+ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:53 pm

I think we ALL went through the heavy black eyeliner phase.

And I never blended my eyeshadow. ..........yeah..... it was bad.

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by RoseHammer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:51 pm

mychelle+ wrote:I think we ALL went through the heavy black eyeliner phase.
Truth! I remember once i was sitting in the library in middle school and i had like... silver eye shadow, thick black eyeliner, and glitter with my bad skin, and my friend turned to me and said "Wow you look like a skank!"

But she was right :lol:

Minayoki
Learner
Learner

Post by Minayoki » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:58 am

Yep.. Heavy eyeliner on the top and bottom that was the worst makeup mistake i could do. I think I'm slightly scarred by that experience. Thats why I don't line my waterline whatsoever and i make sure I do a skinny line on the top.

orilla

Post by orilla » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:42 am

Minayoki wrote:Yep.. Heavy eyeliner on the top and bottom that was the worst makeup mistake i could do. I think I'm slightly scarred by that experience. Thats why I don't line my waterline whatsoever and i make sure I do a skinny line on the top.
Same here. Any heavier and one look at my face brings back baaaad, bad memories. *shiver*

CMonroe

Post by CMonroe » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:36 am

- I always used to match my makeup with my clothes;
- When I had really light platinum blonde hair, I always had my brows way too dark. For some reason, I loved it...

monochrome
Debater
Debater

Post by monochrome » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:35 pm

during freshmen year i used to pack on alot of powder. even if i didnt need to touch up my makeup i just packed more powder on which caused me to break out.
the world is filled with happy things and great things

Ankylosaurus
Learner
Learner

Post by Ankylosaurus » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:56 pm

^ I had the exact opposite problem... not using ANY powder to set my foundation until junior year in high school. To make matters worse, I always used to wear the most oily foundations, slathered on thickly too.

Also, "raccoon eyes". That's what happens when you're a fourteen year old wannabe scene-queen. :? Those were dark times...
Image :love2: Image

AntoniaLauren
Lurker
Lurker

Post by AntoniaLauren » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:06 pm

When I was like 13 I thought wearing a thick line of black eye liner under my eye and no mascara on the bottom lashes was a good look. To make matters worse, the eyeliner I had was intended for SMUDGING! By the end of 2nd period, oh man, the eyeliner was maybe 3/4 of an inch smudged down my under eye area. I wasn't goth or anything, but I was trying to copy those girls on tumblr with the super heavy eyeliner/mascara.

UniicornSparkles
Informer
Informer

Post by UniicornSparkles » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:36 pm

I didn't wear any makeup until I was 15, and I'm about 99% positive that my foundation and concealer didn't match my skin tone at all!! Luckily we all learn from our mistakes and my foundation and concealer is nearly a perfect match! :rofl: I also tried really colorful eye looks at 17... They weren't terrible but weren't Insta-worthy :p

magicalregrets
Learner
Learner

Post by magicalregrets » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:31 pm

In my freshman year of high school, I did my makeup in a room with a orangey/dark light so I would apply my blush very harshly, thinking it looked good because in the light it looked natural but only appeared neutral because I had to apply so much for it to even appear in the orange light.... I also did my eyebrows really bad - using a cheap browpencil, they were like cartoon eyebrows and way too long. In 8th grade, I used to do my eyeliner really harsh as well. In 7th grade, I was going through a scene phase and would apply black eyeliner all over my eyes - I looked like a raccoon. I have one that's more recent - I used to apply so much powder and powder foundation (I use powder to keep my face matte, my skin can become very oily) that whenever I would hug people (This only happened right after I was done applying my makeup - but my face never looked cakey?), they would have some powder on their clothing lol. I've stop applying so much powder and foundation now, to prevent that from happening.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 am

I love his thread!

1. When I started doing my makeup it was wayyyy back in the day, when the ugliest shades of brown were in. Thick unruly brows, with one color brown (ugliest brown you've seen in your life and matte to top it off), all over the eyelid, almost no mascara, that time mascara's weren't as fab as they are now, with the same ugly shit brown lipstick on the lips. I can't deal with the photo's :roll:

2. Sharpie brows were the 2nd worst thing I had, I plucked them super thin with round start (wtf) and then filled them in (as if they weren't dark enough already). Stupid f#cking idea.

3. I went through a foundation phase of wearing too much caked on! I don't have the best skin, but I was also not skin confident, I packed on the foundation, concealer and powder because nothing could show through. As in nothing. Crikey. I've learned my lesson and I've learned to love my skin.
Please bear with me, English is my second language

Mar2013
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Mar2013 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:35 am

I remember wear just one eyeshadow on the lid nothing in the crease or anything, with thick black liner that would run down and make it look like a racoon..bleh still makes me cringe when I see pictures.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 am

^^ Haha glad to hear someone else remembers that! Bloody awful to say the least.
Please bear with me, English is my second language

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”