Kalyn Nicholson

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Kalyn Nicholson

Post by DaylightAmy »

I think the top 3 comments on her latest video pretty much illustrate the audience she is now consistently aiming for:

LITERALLY
guys.

Waiting for pumpkin spice lattes all year is LITERALLY the worst.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

Savannah_
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Savannah_ »

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy her videos, but how many night routines can one person do?! Especially considering they’re all pretty much the same

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

DaylightAmy wrote:I think the top 3 comments on her latest video pretty much illustrate the audience she is now consistently aiming for:

LITERALLY
guys.

those types of comments are all I see on videos these days. YASS QUEEN SLAYYYY. OMG ICONIC, GOALZZZZ. etc. Apparently i'm too old to be watching these girls anymore lol.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

nursegirl123 wrote:
DaylightAmy wrote:I think the top 3 comments on her latest video pretty much illustrate the audience she is now consistently aiming for:

[img]<a class="vglnk" href="https://s18.postimg.org/8g1jztjux/literally.jpg[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>s18</span><span>.</span><span>postimg</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>8g1jztjux</span><span>/</span><span>literally</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]

LITERALLY
guys.

those types of comments are all I see on videos these days. YASS QUEEN SLAYYYY. OMG ICONIC, GOALZZZZ. etc. Apparently i'm too old to be watching these girls anymore lol.
Same. I'm 30 and I don't think I'll ever feel older than I do right now to be honest.

Curious cat
Debater
Debater

Post by Curious cat »

Did she really spent 300 dollars on a rain-coat...

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Curious cat wrote:Did she really spent 300 dollars on a rain-coat...
Her spending habits always seemed to be a bit weird to me, to be honest.

She made a big deal out of spending money to replace her broken laptop (which is one of her main tools for making a living) going on about savings and whatnot... but then does go on sort of "shopping sprees" where she comes home with half a dozen bags of things she didn't really NEED but just wanted.

As someone who's been budgeting in a very organized manner to both get out of student debt and buy a house - I haven't come home with more than 1 bag of casual purchases for years, and all my big spendage that doesn't go into debt or savings goes into making a living (fixing my car to get to work, office attire etc).

I don't know maybe it's just very personal and I'm nitpicking but I never could quite relate to her particular balance between budgeting and shopping sprees. Maybe she just makes a lot more than I do. I recall her at one point talking about if she does well on x or y she rewards herself with something like shoes or an outfit or whatever. Those are things I personally only buy out of necessity, I can't relate to getting non-essential things as a reward on a regular basis.

Again, maybe everyone's just different and she just makes much better money than I think she does.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Curious cat
Debater
Debater

Post by Curious cat »

I haven't come home with more than 1 bag of casual purchases for years, and all my big spendage that doesn't go into debt or savings goes into making a living (fixing my car to get to work, office attire etc).
Same here; I think that she has just convinced herself that buying that amount of crap (because let's be real: she buys stuff always following a "theme" or a palette, gets bored quickly because it was just a trend and has to go shopping again because "she has nothing to wear") is Ok because she has followed a very strict routine. I totally get the "I deserve a treat" logic, its something all of us do from time to time, but bags and bags of clothes are really unnecessary.

Something that really annoyed me was the whole "working out clothes": since when running leggins and sports bras aren't good enough for yoga? Specially her pseudo-yoga/pilates routine. Any comfy clothes will do the job, you dont need "cute YOGA outfits". I think she would be that girl in yoga classes that would wear make-up and different matching clothes in every class, looking down the "ugly" outfits of the rest :P

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

I don't even know why she needs to budget. These youtube girls make bank! Especially with the amount of views she gets and her subscriber count. all the sponsors she does. She has a ton of money don't let her fool you. Blowing that on clothes is probably nothing to her. It makes me sick honestly what youtube pays these people to literally go on about a product they probably don't even like or to show how they get ready in the morning.

unkn0wn
Informer
Informer

Post by unkn0wn »

so glad this thread is here, i used to love her when she talked about mental health, battling ruts and depression, and just being fairly real and down to earth. her life is so picture perfect now, i got sucked into the idea of planning and whatnot; honestly planning stresses me the F out. i work 50 hours a week, i'm building two businesses, and i cannot fathom planning that much of my day out. it makes me anxious LOL. no wonder she has anxiety? idk man, can't judge i guess but for me that would be a huge factor.

her spending is atrocious. i wish i could blow that much money on crap i don't need, but even if i did have that money, i would honestly use it to travel or save up for bigger goals or something. 300 on a raincoat? literal vomit, wtf? i mean, investing in good pieces that'll last you a long time is totally fine, but she spends money on crap ALL THE TIME. i feel like all she does is read, sit around her apartment, yoga/run, and shop.

on the other side, i hope she stops following these trends and goes back to being an individual. i honestly am excited for her to release dreamcatcher, i feel like she could be a good YA authour if she focuses on that.

unkn0wn
Informer
Informer

Post by unkn0wn »

another thing (sorry for double post): hate how she appropriates pagan/wiccan practises. as a pagan mentioned this issue earlier, it just kinda irks me; as a wiccan, i have had to get over so many people recently getting into 'witchy' things as a trend, but man, it just annoys me still.

MissMina
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MissMina »

Do you see that recently she is constatly doing this annoying face / lip movement? I don't know how to describe but it is quite annoying since a few weeks and seems to correlate with her lips appearing to be bigger. Also her channel logo picture- like what even is this face she's making there :roll:

purplespirit
Learner
Learner

Post by purplespirit »

Isn't the epilogue supposed to be at the end of the book? I just can't with this girl :roll: Kalyn, you're looking for a prologue :rofl:
2018-02-23 06.41.41 1~01~01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lushmoon13
Talker
Talker

Post by lushmoon13 »

Hasn't she been writing 'DreamCatcher' for like 5 years now?

I also agree with the above posters. Her videos are so boring and repetitive now.

Curious cat
Debater
Debater

Post by Curious cat »

In the new video, when she is doing yoga you can see her whole ribcage... And now I feel somewhat unconfortable: she seems a little obssess with sport (the yoga, running everyday) and its obvious that she doesnt eat a balanced vegan diet: its always salads with something, or some rice with two or three veggies.

On other note, the video today wasnt bad; what do you guys think?

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Yeah her new video was a bit more interesting than usual. I'm not really sure what to think of it, though, to be honest... is she now trying to prove that she in fact doesn't at all have routines to not seem as OCD as her last 50 videos have made her seem (she says getting up and tackling her to-do list was causing anxiety - that's not what her videos have been suggesting), or does she just not really have routines at all and are those constant cookie-cutter videos just to get clicks... not sure.

I don't know, it just felt kind of "watch me improvise, I do it all the time I just don't show you any of it, and by the way those 1000000000 lists and routines I've shared actually make me anxious and what I really do all morning is read"... :roll: I realize me saying that is basically saying she can't win, I just feel like it's a bit less than genuine - one way or the other - to say "I follow routines and try to stay highly productive and most of my days are the same" for months and then suddenly go "dude my life is super improv I just do whatever feels good for the day". Can't really have both at the same time.

Also, suddenly showing 50 yoga poses instead of 3 showy ones... you'd almost think she's reading along.

Curious cat
Debater
Debater

Post by Curious cat »

I could underestand if, sometimes, all that planning and unbreathable rutine triggers her anxiety; because of that, I think is necessary for her to "unplug" a little... But is not like her day change a lot, she just didnt go for a run. I could underestand that pressure and strict path in someone that is working and studying at the same time, but her videos just take one to three hours to edit; why cant she be more relaxed? Maybe she is scared of having free time, too much time to think never goes well with depression.

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

yeah I think she got curious and read here!! lol

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

nursegirl123 wrote:yeah I think she got curious and read here!! lol
I honestly thought the yoga thing was a bit obvious... see I don't just pose for a few acrobatic shots, LOL.

Honestly Kalyn if you're reading... we are all people who used to love your channel, really hope to see a bit more personality back in your videos.

Also every time you slip in a forced 90s reference an angel loses its wings. Stahp.

nursegirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nursegirl123 »

DaylightAmy wrote:
nursegirl123 wrote:yeah I think she got curious and read here!! lol
I honestly thought the yoga thing was a bit obvious... see I don't just pose for a few acrobatic shots, LOL.

Honestly Kalyn if you're reading... we are all people who used to love your channel, really hope to see a bit more personality back in your videos.

Also every time you slip in a forced 90s reference an angel loses its wings. Stamp.

Seriously for real with the 90s references. She was barely alive in the 90s I doubt she remembers that much. Just stop.

and she's going to do a day in the life of a work week video. Ummm so a video where you sit on your laptop or plan your videos in your planner? I don't get it. What else is there to see? Also we've seen it 500 times.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I mean seriously, though! I'm from 87 and I don't go around quoting Dallas and dressing up as Cindy Lauper for Halloween. It's just weird.

I get that you also grow up with what your parents show you (for instance my parents exposed me to disproportionate amounts of Cher and Golden Girls) but I sincerely doubt her parents went out of their way to expose her to the Spice Girls years after they had their last actual hit... unless her parents were actually 14, I guess.

I don't know... I grew up on Buffy and Fresh Prince and I don't call myself "going full Willow" when I sit on my computer a lot or randomly burst into the Carlton dance whilst cleaning. It just seems forced.

The one thing I'll admit to be guilty of is quoting Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer and being wildly disappointed every time nobody picks up on my reference (which is every time).

Return to “Kalyn Nicholson”