This video NEEDS to be removed.

Do you think this video needs removing from YouTube?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 153

YorkshireTea
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

This video NEEDS to be removed.

Post by YorkshireTea »

[video][/video]

I'm sure this has been mentioned on xxmakeupiscoolxx's thread already, but guys, I'm so angry right now that I can't not spread awareness about the absolute monstrosity that is this video.
In case you can't watch the video, the purpose of this DIY is to show you how you can make your own 'mascara', with the main ingredient being crushed up oreo biscuits. This isn't the first weird DIY this user has done; she's also shown you how to straighten your hair with crayons (what even?) and how you can use M&Ms to make eyeliner.
The problem with this?
YOU SHOULD NOT PUT FOODSTUFFS ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR EYES.
Older viewers should know better, but you know who else watches these videos? Young people who DON'T know better. I was absolutely horrified to look through the comments of the oreo video and find numerous complaints about eye infections being brought about as a result of following the tutorial. Not only that, but there had been reports of some people going BLIND.
I am disgusted. I am disgusted because this as well as the other stupid DIY videos have not been removed from YouTube despite the plethora of negative comments and the countless number of reports that have been submitted. I've also heard that some viewers have threatened to sue her. xxmakeupiscoolxx, or Katharine, made these videos solely so that she could gain the attention of BuzzFeed and have articles written about her, which would result in her earning more money and popularity. The fact that she would place her own gains over the safety and practicality of her videos is unacceptable. I don't care how much Katherine is making from the video. I don't care how many likes it got over dislikes. What I do care about is that potentially thousands of impressionable people have suffered as a direct result of what she demonstrated in it, and so it is in my opinion that it needs removing from YouTube.
Please, all I am asking is that you report the video for dangerous practices. Enough is enough.

Echo_0
Debater
Debater

Re: This video NEEDS to be removed.

Post by Echo_0 »

It's nice to actually see that the majority of the comments are pointing out how stupid she is now.

I've reported it. An advert you couldn't skip played as my computer slowly loaded the options. The thought of her earning money as I reported her makes me so angry :x

Post by Guest »

I reported it. I've seen a lot of dumb DIY videos, but this takes first place in the stupidity department. Mascara is made to be put around the eyes, and it goes through tests to make sure it is safe. Who the fudge looks at Oreo cookies and think "This would make an awesome mascara! Yes, let's do that!" :scratch:

KimiSoYeah
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by KimiSoYeah »

Anyone dumb enough to try this deserves whatever happens to them.
ImageImageImage

Eastsiderider
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Eastsiderider »

Haha why would you need to make mascara if you have money to buy a face primer?

GentleAblaze
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GentleAblaze »

I never thought I'd have to report a video where someone makes mascara out of oreos, but there we go. :?

Why does this girl keep making makeup out of food?! Her 'lipstick out of Starburst' video was actually okay and seems a lot safer, though I don't know about you but I think I'd rather just eat the starbursts and wear normal lipstick...

Judas
Talker
Talker

Post by Judas »

Imagine you like food so much that you see it as makeup.

It is like when cartoons see people or items as turkey or something like that.

Ineedmoreblush
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Ineedmoreblush »

For the cost of a pack of Oreos, you could buy mascara from wet-n-wild...

racheln2017
Debater
Debater

Post by racheln2017 »

As someone who is frequent on the xxmakeupiscoolxx board, everyone was furious at this. First, she disabled likes and dislikes. Then she made fun of Buzzfeed who made an article about how stupid this video is. And she genuinely thinks she's good at this. All her DIYs are lame and are poorly done. She needs to get off of youtube tbh.

PhilLester
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PhilLester »

I've seen some idiotic "gurus" in my time but this girl takes the biscuit. Hope she gets absolutely rinsed by the people during her.

Relokate
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Relokate »

Woah. This is the most ridiculous DIY I have ever seen. I can't believe it hasn't been removed!

Ankylosaurus
Learner
Learner

Post by Ankylosaurus »

Wooooow. :rofl:

Hasn't she also done "colored pencils as eyeliner" type videos as well? Those are really bad, too... Crayola had to put out a statement telling people to cut the crap because so many "beauty gurus" were putting tutorials up. (I put quotes because you don't have to know jack about makeup to know that this is dangerous stuff.) And then a bunch quickly went and added "WELL THE PACKAGING SAYS NON-TOXIC SO..." :( It's like, "non-toxic" doesn't mean rub this in your eyes, darn it! Anyone with such disregard for safety, health, and common sense has no business blogging, vlogging, or anything in between.
Image :love2: Image

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Ankylosaurus wrote:Wooooow. :rofl:

Hasn't she also done "colored pencils as eyeliner" type videos as well? Those are really bad, too... Crayola had to put out a statement telling people to cut the crap because so many "beauty gurus" were putting tutorials up. (I put quotes because you don't have to know jack about makeup to know that this is dangerous stuff.) And then a bunch quickly went and added "WELL THE PACKAGING SAYS NON-TOXIC SO..." :( It's like, "non-toxic" doesn't mean rub this in your eyes, darn it! Anyone with such disregard for safety, health, and common sense has no business blogging, vlogging, or anything in between.
Indeed. I saw a blog post a while back where a girl melted Crayola crayons, mixed them with vaseline and rubbed them on her eye lids. WTF! I thought at the time that Crayola must be freaking out. I guess these girls have probably never experienced or seen what a bad eye infection is like.

Given you can buy really nice make-up cheaply now I don't see what the point is. Surely the point of most DIY videos is that the person can make something they would not be able to afford to buy.

sconopolis
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by sconopolis »

Wow. Is this was kids think about these days? Making mascara out of delicious cookies?

LauraEmilia
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by LauraEmilia »

She could have bought mascara cheaper than that. Literally what is the point :? :?

bunnybutt420
Informer
Informer

Post by bunnybutt420 »

didn't she make eyeliner out of m&ms?

next up: how to actually fucking eat food

Lipsnfingertips
Learner
Learner

Post by Lipsnfingertips »

Me thinks someone either did jail time or has a closed friend/family who was a convict. Next she'll teach us how to separate M & M's to make eye shadow and lipstick.

MissDelusional
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by MissDelusional »

StrawberryMilkshake wrote:When I think of this shitty DIy, it reminded me of the cake batter face mask that Michelle Phan made...
Didn't she also use hot cocoa as bronzer?
Venti, vidi, grande. :coffee:

HiFi
Learner
Learner

Post by HiFi »

What situation could you possibly be in where this would be necessary. This is embarrassing and this girl is a moron.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

I've seen videos where people are using food to make beauty products. The dissemination of this kind of information is reckless. She is an idiot for making this video.

In case you're curious as to how actual mascara is made:

[youtube][/youtube]

It has wax, water, pigments and binders. No sugar or alcohol, nothing that can irritate the eyes.

Return to “Beauty Guru General Discussion”