Sasha Alsberg (abookutopia)

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sasha Alsberg (abookutopia)

Post by littlemisselizabeth »

so surprised there's not a thread here for Sasha yet considering she's the #1 booktuber talked about in the main thread. Figured I would go ahead and make one bc the main thread is so full of different topics no one can seem to get a conversation flowing.

some talking points:
1) Zenith - are you buying it? and how many of us think it's ghost written?
2) her whole "i'm so poor" controversy while she lives in a giant apartment with a dog and new car
3) her videos are cringeworthy enough i don't think i need anymore topics :rofl:

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Re: Sasha Alsberg (abookutopia)

Post by NicoleThePickle »

Her ignorance is too much for me to handle.

TruthSeeker21
Learner
Learner

Post by TruthSeeker21 »

I downloaded the sampler of Zenith from Amazon and accidentally bought it. The 1.99 price for it was kind of not cool especially since it was just the first part. There are entire well written books that go for 99 cents on the kindle store. I knew right off the bat that they weren't going to release the other parts and they release the first part to show publishers that there was hype for it. A romance publishing house picked it. Someone told me to watch her writing vlog and true enough, it seemed that Lindsay was writing the entire time while Sasha was either on her phone, reading books or surfing on the internet.
I think she also craves attention. She didn't need to move to Texas to cowrite her novel with Lindsay, but she did and on her moving vlogs she mentioned how she was going to spend so much time with her. I guess that didn't go as planned. When she mentioned moving back to Boston she explained it was to spend more time with her dad and her friends, emphasizing spending time with her friends. She also spends so much time sharing her life on Instagram and Snapchat. Like it's cool if you do it very often and you're sharing like interesting things that are going on or if you're traveling. But her stories are literally "going to target", "going to buy a bookshelf", "I know I've things a thousand times but my dog is cute", "My neighbors are weird", "going to target again, I forgot to check the book aisle", etc.
She also likes to paint herself as the victim. It's rather sad.

Nats novels14
Learner
Learner

Post by Nats novels14 »

Zenith was one of the worst written and boring books I have ever read, I could barely finish it and that is saying a lot since the first part was like 50 pages. I didn't expect much from Sasha's since she comes across as very uneducated. I can't stand the way she slurs her words and doesn't form fully coherent sentences. The video where she discussed being poor was total horseshit and borderline offensive to people who actually struggle to make ends meet. I will not be buying the book when it comes out. What sucks is that it will probably do well because of her blind followers. Kind of off topic but I think if she was one of those storytime youtubers she would be the one to make up stories, she probably has lied about reading or liking books.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

I read Zenith Pt. 1, and it was terribly. I've been keeping an eye on Goodreads for reviews from people who got the Arc. I wouldn't buy the real thing unless it was deeply discounted. I do like Lindsey, but I've never read her other books.

I hate watch Sasha's Snapchats. I mostly skip all the dog ones though. I get why she's loving with her dad again, because her life was depressingly boring.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

I only watch her occasionally but I was really put off by her big unboxing a few months ago, where she just ripped open a mountain of packages and was like right ok here's a book. If you can't at least try to be enthusiastic, don't open them on camera, it just looks rude and ungrateful. We all know that especially big booktubers get sent loads of unsolicited books that they might not be interested in, but most have the dignity to be low key about it and not flaunt how much free shit they get AND that they couldn't care less.

Also the being poor drama, I think it could have been easily resolved by her not getting so defensive about it and somehow trying to prove how poor she is while getting a car/dog/new flat/trip to Scotland at the same time. It might have been an unusual or unsettling situation for her standards. And that's fine, I mean there's always going to be someone somewhere who is poorer than you, that doesn't mean nobody is allowed to complain. But if all her purchases are practically public knowledge, it's just embarrassing to keep insisting.

Beauty+Burrito

Post by Beauty+Burrito »

Does her dad seem all there to you guys? I mean nothing harsh or offensive, but she said he forgot her at the airport, and the way her interacts with her and her dogs on instastories makes him seem.... kinda far gone. If so, this is one area where I do feel for Sasha. That's gotta be tough, and she does seem to be there for him.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

TruthSeeker21 wrote:I downloaded the sampler of Zenith from Amazon and accidentally bought it. The 1.99 price for it was kind of not cool especially since it was just the first part. There are entire well written books that go for 99 cents on the kindle store. I knew right off the bat that they weren't going to release the other parts and they release the first part to show publishers that there was hype for it. A romance publishing house picked it. Someone told me to watch her writing vlog and true enough, it seemed that Lindsay was writing the entire time while Sasha was either on her phone, reading books or surfing on the internet.
I think she also craves attention. She didn't need to move to Texas to cowrite her novel with Lindsay, but she did and on her moving vlogs she mentioned how she was going to spend so much time with her. I guess that didn't go as planned. When she mentioned moving back to Boston she explained it was to spend more time with her dad and her friends, emphasizing spending time with her friends. She also spends so much time sharing her life on Instagram and Snapchat. Like it's cool if you do it very often and you're sharing like interesting things that are going on or if you're traveling. But her stories are literally "going to target", "going to buy a bookshelf", "I know I've things a thousand times but my dog is cute", "My neighbors are weird", "going to target again, I forgot to check the book aisle", etc.
She also likes to paint herself as the victim. It's rather sad.

omg YES her Instagram stories drive me insane. yesterday I counted and she had 2 clips of herself and 14 (FOURTEEN) of her dogs. :? chill girl. i still don't know the whole story of how she moved/moved back, if anyone could fill me in. her videos are so mishmashed i can't piece together her life rn. i really wonder if she has friends at this point, I know that sounds harsh, but she doesn't seem to since most of her snapchat stories are just her in bed or playing with her dog

i will say tho, i disagree about the whole publishing thing. i think she was GOING to publish them one piece at a time for extra money, but then got immediately snatched up by an agent. i would never imagine that she is smart enough to preview it as a means of publicity. she doesn't seem to understand how marketing in the publishing industry works - evidenced by her thousandth floor vlog where she doesn't vlog the publicity event she was paid to vlog and instead spends the whole vlog talking about new york.

my theory is she was gonna do one piece at a time for extra cash, she was approached by an agent, and from there the book was written for her, either by lindsey or by the publishers. but i'm leaning toward the publishers, considering how fast they got it out.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

For the person asking about her living situation...
She went to visit Lindsay in Texas one time and I think she just randomly decided then she was going to move down. I'm not sure when she moved but I think it was at the end of last summer. ... Her dad has been trying to sell there home for a while, and it finally sold recently. Sasha drove up to help him move. It was supposed to be for a week, then a month, and she recently said she didn't feel like going back. So I think she's just going to live there until she moves to Chicago. She still has her apartment in Texas with all of her stuff there.
I think she want to be away from the mice and with her old friends again.

maia green_
Learner
Learner

Post by maia green_ »

I'm not sure if it was to do with the reasoning for moving to Texas but she was also dating Lindsay's brother I believe? They've broken up now so who knows if that's also one of the reasons she moved and is now leaving, although they may have got together after she moved. I've not got anywhere near Zenith and I don't plan on it - Sasha can barely form coherent sentences most of the time so I couldn't bring myself to read anything that she has written.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

I think she started hanging out with Lindsay's brother when she visiting and that influenced her to look for an apartment.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

maia green_ wrote:I'm not sure if it was to do with the reasoning for moving to Texas but she was also dating Lindsay's brother I believe? They've broken up now so who knows if that's also one of the reasons she moved and is now leaving, although they may have got together after she moved. I've not got anywhere near Zenith and I don't plan on it - Sasha can barely form coherent sentences most of the time so I couldn't bring myself to read anything that she has written.
whaaat I haven't seen anything about her and Lindsay's brother! but that might be bc i can barely sit through two minutes of her videos. man, if i were lindsay i think i'd hate sasha. dating her brother and then getting all the credit for a book we all know lindsay wrote 90 percent of?

about her dad - i think he is fine. i haven't seen much of him, but i just think he's stressed from moving and prob not used to being on camera. if there was something off there i'm p sure sasha would have said something about it for pity points

BlueGiraffe
Talker
Talker

Post by BlueGiraffe »

Beauty+Burrito wrote:Does her dad seem all there to you guys? I mean nothing harsh or offensive, but she said he forgot her at the airport, and the way her interacts with her and her dogs on instastories makes him seem.... kinda far gone. If so, this is one area where I do feel for Sasha. That's gotta be tough, and she does seem to be there for him.

No, I know exactly what you mean. On her Snapchat/IG he always seems a bit spaced out. However, I think that's partially because he's pretty old considering how young Sasha and her sister are. Partially, because he lost his wife and now has to deal with the financial/emotional situation where he's forced to sell the house that he and his wife started their family in. And partially, yes, because Sasha pushes her phone camera at him 24/7 and he might just not be comfortable with that. (All speculation, of course.)

maia green_
Learner
Learner

Post by maia green_ »

littlemisselizabeth wrote:
maia green_ wrote:I'm not sure if it was to do with the reasoning for moving to Texas but she was also dating Lindsay's brother I believe? They've broken up now so who knows if that's also one of the reasons she moved and is now leaving, although they may have got together after she moved. I've not got anywhere near Zenith and I don't plan on it - Sasha can barely form coherent sentences most of the time so I couldn't bring myself to read anything that she has written.
whaaat I haven't seen anything about her and Lindsay's brother! but that might be bc i can barely sit through two minutes of her videos. man, if i were lindsay i think i'd hate sasha. dating her brother and then getting all the credit for a book we all know lindsay wrote 90 percent of?

yeah, i don't think she really mentioned it in any youtube videos but i think she spoke about it on snapchat and also posted an instagram months ago of them dressed up in a couples style costume, and i only realised it was lindasy's brother through comment sections. i also agree on the book thing! i was watching tasha's bea and book con vlogs and literally all of them would say it was "Sasha's book" and occasionally add lindsay in as an after thought. it's kind of sad because yes, it's clear lindsay writes the majority of zenith and you would think sasha being a youtuber would get more people to read it but in this scenario, i actually think it's putting more people off of reading it for some reason, but maybe that's just my opinion.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

sasha's so! poor! she can only afford traveling to two countries this year :roll:

then there's this gem from natasha, proving how badly she wants to ride off sasha's success. she even titled her bookcon vlogs with sasha's name. i don't think it'll be long before sasha breaks out of the booktube bubble tbh. the right management company is gonna approach her once zenith sells and rebrand her channel to be more mainstream. she's already a perfect fit for the beauty gurus with 12 yo audiences, and she's talking about zoella on her twitter now. i think the other big booktubers are latching on hoping they can ride wherever zenith takes sasha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Does she care at all about Scottish history or culture or does she only love it for what she's read from Outlander?

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

I disagree about the big booktubers riding off Sasha's "success". I think Natasha is really nice and friends with Sasha, but I think the others think she's a joke. They only speak to her or about her at events, and they probably are, or at least feel, obligated to mention Zenith.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

NicoleThePickle wrote:Does she care at all about Scottish history or culture or does she only love it for what she's read from Outlander?
Shes trying to get a degree in European History, which was 100% influenced by books. I think she mentioned one time she wanted to get a Ph D eventually like her parents, but I'm not really sure if she's got any other career plans besides writing books.

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Kat just came out as bi in her new video. Good for her for feeling comfortable enough to do so on the platform. Out of the big booktubers, I do like Kat. Maybe because she's one of the oldest, she's slowly becoming, not mature I guess, but she seems to be growing in her content.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

from her twitter - how many of you want to bet she just didn't film a video? :roll:

as for scottish history - i think she sees it as a fangirl sees her favorite TV show. like, infatuated with her idea of what Scotland is like - which is very romanticized - not actually interested in its history or culture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “BookTube”