Dan & Phil Part 37: Phansplosion

Himi
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Dan & Phil Part 37: Phansplosion

Post by Himi »

New poll, if D&P decide to have children together, how will they proceed ? http://strawpoll.me/4800431
If you want to discuss the results go to the off-topic because i don't want illegal to spank me or do i ?
manged wrote:I pledge to continue to talk shit about YTers under an anonymous account on here. #NicerInternet

mintyyy
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mintyyy »

loease wrote: (Also I don't think the demographic of people being in love w Dan is that big...is it?)
I'm actually pretty sure that's a reasonable portion of his demographic. I've talked to a few people who weren't that interested in vloggers about YouTube before, and a good portion of them had only heard of certain YouTubers because they were pretty. Quite a few have said something fairly shallow along the lines of expressing romantic interest in him/other pretty YouTubers, too, without knowing much about the YouTuber. However, I don't think these people are subscribers, or the type of people to regularly check their subscription box (if they are subscribed.) I'm not saying that every subscriber is like this, as probably about half the people who have heard of him will also say that Dan is funny or witty, but most people aren't that interested in the world of vloggers.

Also, about the homophobic thing - I know quite a few people who are just completely ignorant on the topic and have a bit of the ingrained homophobia, like using the words "homo" or "gay" as an insult. Coming from a rather conservative family, I used to be one of those people because I honestly didn't know any better. I became quite obsessed with researching all of this when I was 12, but I can tell you that most teens aren't aware of all this. This happens to be the age of most of Dan and Phil's audience, which might cause some confusion if any form of coming out does take place in the next couple of years because most of the audience would not have heard of bisexuality. However, I think this would be all the better to have someone like Dan or Phil come out because it'd bring awareness to bisexuality.

niknakool
Lurker
Lurker

Post by niknakool »

On the topic of Dan's prettiness attracting viewers: Honestly, I saw a gif of Dan from PINOF4 back in 2012 where he was smiling at the camera with his cat whiskers and I was like, 'Okay, who is this guy? He's super cute.' Phil had been cut out of the gif. I believe it took a couple months for me to actually watch his videos after that initial gif, but when I did watch a few of his videos I really liked his humor.

I very clearly remember my first video with Phil in it was My American Accent. I can't remember how I reacted to Phil or if I thought they were gay or straight or a couple. I just remember I really liked their dynamic. My senior year of college right before Christmas, I remember sitting in a hallways between classes and going through ALL their videos. I loved both of them for their humor and how they interacted with each other. Their sexualities didn't even cross my mind for a long time.

On another note, I'm actually more attracted to Phil now. I think he's cute. Like, Dan is pretty and everything, but Phil is someone I'd want as a husband (as would Dan, I think ;) ).

(Also, hi, I've been a lurker for a few months, and go between thinking they're together and thinking that's absurd and then thinking they HAVE to be together.)

Vivastian
Debater
Debater

Post by Vivastian »

I keep forgetting to add things to my posts so I have to either edit it on or make a new one. One day....

Hello, and welcome niknakool! :wel:

Since everyone's telling their stories about how they were first introduced to D&P I figured I might as well tell mine too.

(Left under a spoiler bc it's boring af)
Like whoknows, I also first discovered Dan and Phil through Teens React, because I was having a three hour-long binge on the React series in general (you know, you click one..and then another...and then another, before you fall into the vortex). I was really into the gaming scene of YouTube back then, and I'd never really watched a 'vlogger' or anything of the sort, but I thought "Hey, these dudes look kind of nerdy and fun, maybe I should check out their channels." I went to Phil's first, and spent a good whole day just browsing randomly with no rhyme or reason. I watched some of the PINOFs, and then I think I went to Dan's channel?

I believed they were Best Friends and Roommates (TRUE) at first because I was first introduced to the idea of 'Phan' via Dan's "I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP" video, and most of his videos that came up suggested were from 2012/2013. Ngl I thought Phan shippers were a bit crazy at firstlook at me now

I remember feeling really uncomfortable during the first PINOF because I got serious gaydar vibes, and it didn't sit well with my confirmation bias of what I thought I already knew.

And I kept telling myself "I'm not going to ship them"

I gave into my resolution about a week later. Then after I ran out of content, I perused the interwebs looking for more (because I had to have more), stumbled upon the indomitable dinofvyou1 ( ;) ), and there was some discussion about the voldy in the comment section, along with 50 comments after saying something along the lines of "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!!!" and "WHAT ARE U TRYING 2 DO DAN AND PHIL DON'T WANT IT ON THE INTERNET ANYMORE!!!11!"

So I was naturally like, "Okay, I've got to see this video."

I didn't actually stumble upon the voldy itself, but instead I found a transcript, which led me to the Phan Directory, which led me to the Phan Timeline....and, here we are.

:D
mintyyy wrote: Also, about the homophobic thing - I know quite a few people who are just completely ignorant on the topic and have a bit of the ingrained homophobia, like using the words "homo" or "gay" as an insult.
I was actually just about to put that in my response.
AlexP wrote: I think even if it's getting less and less common for people to actually believe that gay people are bad people, there's still a lot of ingrained homophobia that people perceive to be normal (Homo is probably the most common thing young boys yell at each other on the street here) and that's far more widespread and it's a problem because people don't realise it's a problem.
Exactly. Kids can get away with it, because it's not "in your face" homophobia, in the same way that racists can get away with racism because they're not committing a hate crime or using the n word. Because "Racism, is over, don't you know that?"

It's terrible. In some ways, I'd say it's even worse than plain old homophobia because people justify it?? They say "I'm not homophobic. I don't hate gay people." And then they proceed to use slurs and 'gay' in a derogatory manner. Just because you say you're not a homophobe does not mean that you're not doing homophobic things. It doesn't make it okay just because it's "not as bad" as what other people are doing

I am filled with rage about the topic.
AlexP wrote: You're probably right about Teens React though. Considering how some of those boys reacted to Draw Phil Naked (hehe) they might have made some comments (maybe even more so than the girls, who probably just think it's cute and probably don't mind either way).
Yeah, I think if anything, the guys' gaydars pinged. Culturally speaking, it's more acceptable for girls to have the kind of close bond that Dan and Phil have, so they probably wouldn't have seen anything weird in it, whereas the guys kind of came off as "Something's not right." (Whether they were noticing it conciously or subconsciously).

As an addition, I think everyone's impression of their....friendship would've been quite different if they had had them react to the first PINOF, or AmazingDan....

Edit: just realized I talked about 'gaydars' a ton here. To be clear, gaydars don't necessarily prove anything.
loease wrote:It's easier to not care.

daichii
Informer
Informer

Post by daichii »

I used to ship ianthony and phan always showed up when I searched ianthony on tumblr so I got curious and also captivated by Phil's blue eyes. I think I saw pinof first followed by a bunch of AP vids and his collabs with Dan. I like Dan but I've watched less than half of all the vids he has on dinof. They are def not just pretty boys for me, I think their content is really good especially dapg :)
:love2: Image :love2:

Mama_Phan
Informer
Informer

Post by Mama_Phan »

<3 Hi loves,
I just wrote for liked 40 min and then my computer crashed, so I will recap.
Dans You Now- I felt like he did not sit as sideways and looked at the camera more. The tweet well I pretty much believe him except I get confused with him talking about the female friend. 1st it was like 5 min not hours but I guess 5 min is kinda like 5 hrs IRL online, plenty of time for people to see. I have to believe he knew what he did he could not of been surprised, like oh shit I better unfavorite that tweet. We know Dan is a smart guy and he thinks way to much before he posts his tweets or pictures. I feel like he thought it was funny but maybe someone else did not and was like Dan stop. Also when he said there is nothing wrong with anal sex, he so easily could of said but that's not my thing or something along those lines, and he did nothing of the sort. There is no way I believe he is straight, and if he is I would have to reevaluate my perception of him.
D+P gaming video - well was bummed to see it was akinator I want a real game but I mean come on did you see Phil in that blue shirt. I loves the old video of sonic and crash banicot . Sometimes I wish Dan would do his own gaming channel as long as it did not interfere with D+P games.
I am proud of Dan for the BBC documentary, I think he will do awesome he loves games and he is passionate about them. What a great opportunity I wish him the best. Phil's time will come he probs is just waiting for the right moment. This tour has got to be some hard work and I am sure Phil is really focused on that right now anyways.
I should post this so I don't lose my words again.

:love2: Hugs to you all :love2:

whoknows
Informer
Informer

Post by whoknows »

Welcome Niknakool. I agree Phil seems like he would be a good husband,he is also more of a nurturer where as Dan maybe the more nagging housewife No wonder they get along so well. Tho as for looks eh they both have their moments, I just want some kind of mash up, although they do function as one person more often than not. I wonder if all the girls like them,want them/fantasy because they are "safe"? For most of the fans they are yt famous so they pretty have no shot in hell, they are older, and if they are gay/bi thats like a safe thing cuz they won't do anything? Or maybe they see them and traits they see are what they want in someone,not necessarily Dan or Phil.

ETA:Mama_Phan I had been wondering about you, hadn't seen you in awhile.
watch out....mort is on the prowl. Why people be tweeting and deleting,own up to your shit.

yellowcookiemonster
Debater
Debater

Post by yellowcookiemonster »

I found them through tumblr, I kept seeing GIFS of them re enacting the anaconda music video and I looked up the video (So basically phil whacking Dan's but with a snake drew me in :rofl: ) , then I fell into the dark, scary phandom.

hbanana
Informer
Informer

Post by hbanana »

Hiiiiiiieeeeeeeee! I still need to catch up, but I have something to say regarding whether a phan coming out would help or hurt their relevance. Someone (I forget who, sorry) compared it to friends saying them finally getting together got rid of the ambiguity and got boringwasn't satisfying. I'm going to attempt to compare it to a different show-gossip girl (sorry I know I'm lame). They tried to do the whole ambiguous relationship with Blair and Chuck. At first this worked but after 100 episodes of on again off again it got REAL old (not to mention chuck got shot and floated in the ocean all the way to france, somehow survived but lost his memory and came back with a cane..?) Although ambiguous relationships draw people in, it can get old. Maybe it would be better if they eventually come out for their relevance. People will still watch them the same because they actually make good content, and we'll finally have an answer instead of "no homo jk maybe homo, jk no homo" which after like 5000 seasons get really oldi even had to stop watching the show it got so repetitive. They went from otp to notp real quick/size]. If anything I feel like the thing stopping them is
1. they want to be known for their content that they actually work hard on, not phan. Not to mention the shitstorm that happens everytime a youtube couple breaks up.
2. Their jobs as bff presenters (maybe they'll be able to come out if they get signed to a solid radio show. Right now it feels like they're holding off on getting their own one again until the bour.

absolutelynotonfire
Learner
Learner

Post by absolutelynotonfire »

I might as well join in and tell you how I happened to get into them.
I first saw a random Dan video back in the end of 2011- beginning of 2012. I don't remember exactly when and what video it was, but apparently I was intrigued and watched the rest of his videos. I also thought he was super cute and I subscribed. Through him, I found Phil, I thought he was pretty cool too, but not cool enough to make me want to subscribe. Then the whole voldy shitstorm happened and I was there to witness the birth of #customerservicedepartment and Dan's rants. It was a weird time but because I wasn't super invested in them, I just enjoyed the drama from afar. Basically I was just a very casual viewer up until some months ago when I randomly got really into them, read the Phan timeline and generally became Phan af. I followed a couple phandom people on tumblr and then I found GG, lurked for a while, made an account and voila!

whoknows
Informer
Informer

Post by whoknows »

hbanana wrote:Hiiiiiiieeeeeeeee! I still need to catch up, but I have something to say regarding whether a phan coming out would help or hurt their relevance. Someone (I forget who, sorry) compared it to friends saying them finally getting together got rid of the ambiguity and got boringwasn't satisfying. I'm going to attempt to compare it to a different show-gossip girl (sorry I know I'm lame). They tried to do the whole ambiguous relationship with Blair and Chuck. At first this worked but after 100 episodes of on again off again it got REAL old (not to mention chuck got shot and floated in the ocean all the way to france, somehow survived but lost his memory and came back with a cane..?) Although ambiguous relationships draw people in, it can get old. Maybe it would be better if they eventually come out for their relevance. People will still watch them the same because they actually make good content, and we'll finally have an answer instead of "no homo jk maybe homo, jk no homo" which after like 5000 seasons get really oldi even had to stop watching the show it got so repetitive. They went from otp to notp real quick/size]. If anything I feel like the thing stopping them is
1. they want to be known for their content that they actually work hard on, not phan. Not to mention the shitstorm that happens everytime a youtube couple breaks up.
2. Their jobs as bff presenters (maybe they'll be able to come out if they get signed to a solid radio show. Right now it feels like they're holding off on getting their own one again until the bour.

Ironically gossip girl initials are always what i think of when someone,including myself, types that here. Don't even get me started on that trainwreck,it got ridiculous the show went to hell.But I get the comparision between C&B and D&P relationships.
watch out....mort is on the prowl. Why people be tweeting and deleting,own up to your shit.

gasp
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gasp »

I don't even remember how I found dan and phil- Only that I found dan first , which is really strange because at the time phil had more subscribers. :dunno:
The first video of dan's I watched was his SERIOUS BUSINESS vid and other than a 6 month hiatus towards the end of my senior year due to school stress, I've been a loyal watcher ever since.
edit: HOLY FUCK THATS >5 YEARS IM GONNA GO CRY NOW

hbanana
Informer
Informer

Post by hbanana »

whoknows I'm glad someone understands the frustration that was gossip girl. Though they are far from it, I hope dan and phil come out instead of jumping the shark... also if anyone needs any other tv couple comparisons im here all week! (Dennis and mac, charlie and frank, sharon needles and alaska thunderfvck 5000, james st james and michael, john waters and divine, ect.)
edit- hopefully not sid vicious and nancy lol (oh my god that's morbid sorry I think im feverish...)
Last edited by hbanana on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vivastian
Debater
Debater

Post by Vivastian »

hbanana wrote:Hiiiiiiieeeeeeeee! I still need to catch up, but I have something to say regarding whether a phan coming out would help or hurt their relevance. Someone (I forget who, sorry) compared it to friends saying them finally getting together got rid of the ambiguity and got boringwasn't satisfying.
Yep, that was my incoherent waffle! :D

hbanaba wrote: I'm going to attempt to compare it to a different show-gossip girl (sorry I know I'm lame). They tried to do the whole ambiguous relationship with Blair and Chuck. At first this worked but after 100 episodes of on again off again it got REAL old (not to mention chuck got shot and floated in the ocean all the way to france, somehow survived but lost his memory and came back with a cane..?) Although ambiguous relationships draw people in, it can get old. Maybe it would be better if they eventually come out for their relevance.
:yup:

Ambiguity can definitely get old. I've never watched Gossip Girl, but I totally know what you mean. The writers have to be really crafty when it comes to writing long-term sexual tension. You can't just get them together too quickly because then where's the build-up?? You need the tension, but on the other hand, if you drag it out too long, fans can get impatient and frankly find it ridiculous.

I've wondered before whether the Phandom will ever get frustrated and fed up at Dan and Phil for not coming out. Do you guys think it's a possibility? I'd love to hear your opinions!

And gasp: 5+ years??? That's like the Mesozoic Era in Phandom time. :jd:

hbanana
Informer
Informer

Post by hbanana »

Idk if theyd get frustrated for them not coming out, but I think their whole ambiguous bros thing could get old. Be Mac and Dennis, not Blair and Chuck boys.....
edit- jesus! Now I know I have a fever. Why on earth would I want them to be like mac and dennis!? Please no more no homo! I take it back! Be like charlie and frank..? Too weird..?

Vivastian
Debater
Debater

Post by Vivastian »

hbanana wrote:.....
edit- jesus! Now I know I have a fever. Why on earth would I want them to be like mac and dennis!? Please no more no homo! I take it back! Be like charlie and frank..? Too weird..?
Idek get these references, but I'm laughing anyways :rofl:

silverwinter
Talker
Talker

Post by silverwinter »

How dare you all insult the beauty that is Gossip Girl!! :o Chair was my teenage OTP and Dair was disgusting...and I still liked the show even after it "went to shit".

In all seriousness, though, we should all be worshipping Gossip Girl, not insulting it, considering this website is basically the YouTube version of Gossip Girl's blog. :love2: 8-)
2009!Phan af
"I want to be there so you don't have to be brave."
"I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is be with someone."

gasp
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gasp »

Vivastian wrote:And gasp: 5+ years??? That's like the Mesozoic Era in Phandom time.
to be fair, I was a pretty casual watcher until about 3 years ago, but I am a dinosaur on youtube.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

I just realised their vulcan fingers are good for something

[tweet][/tweet]
Credit:amazingfiru

whoknows
Informer
Informer

Post by whoknows »

silverwinter wrote:How dare you all insult the beauty that is Gossip Girl!! :o Chair was my teenage OTP and Dair was disgusting...and I still liked the show even after it "went to shit".

In all seriousness, though, we should all be worshipping Gossip Girl, not insulting it, considering this website is basically the YouTube version of Gossip Girl's blog. :love2: 8-)
I'm sorry, I tried I really did but after 3rd season..why is it that almost all popular shows after 3/4 seasons go crazy and things don't even make sense
?I did love chair, they just took foreverrr and the SO many unrealistic things,even for a tv show, that its like wut :roll: I pretty sure I skipped some episodes in 5/6th seasons but I just couldn't take it.

Are you saying...illegal is Dan? :rofl: After all, he has that pic that says the internet knows all...hmmm
Last edited by whoknows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”