Why is Lisa Eldridge not more popular?

whatwut
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why is Lisa Eldridge not more popular?

Post by whatwut »

I feel like she should have just as many views as people like mac barbie but she doesn't. Why not?

miserlou
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Why is Lisa Eldridge not more popular?

Post by miserlou »

because she doesn't giggle incessantly like a fucking idiot and act like a 13 year old child.

PissedOutDQ
Informer
Informer

Post by PissedOutDQ »

I heard she doesn't enable ad-sense, so maybe they don't promote her as much?

Also she's older, so the tweens may not 'relate' to her as much. And her looks aren't super trendy, ie. 'omg guise I got the new urban decay Vice pallete. watch me slap neon colors haphazardly over my eyeballs".

I think her videos are great and informative, but the kids aren't looking for education. They want some spoiled YT 'guru' their age to tell them ill-informed advice.

smashthebox
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smashthebox »

PissedOutDQ wrote:I heard she doesn't enable ad-sense, so maybe they don't promote her as much?

Also she's older, so the tweens may not 'relate' to her as much. And her looks aren't super trendy, ie. 'omg guise I got the new urban decay Vice pallete. watch me slap neon colors haphazardly over my eyeballs".

I think her videos are great and informative, but the kids aren't looking for education. They want some spoiled YT 'guru' their age to tell them ill-informed advice.
Yes to all of this.

she isn't more successful (if we measure successf by subscribers or views) because
1) she doesnt promote herself through a network
2) for her it's not about views or ad clicks (and no last I checked she didnt have ads on her videos) she does this for a living and probably makes amazing money already being a worldclass makeup artist she does videos just to help people
3)she does videos for Chanel and I am sure she makes a lot of money working for them

OhGirlNo
Learner
Learner

Post by OhGirlNo »

I like Lisa a lot but I have to admit that I stopped watching her videos only because they were so brightly lit that I found them difficult to see the technique she was using and try to replicate on myself. But I love her voice and find her very soothing.

utubeflutterby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by utubeflutterby »

I LOVE HER videos so much but I think it is because she just isn't as relatable as younger people to the target audience or the demographic of us watching like also there are other utubers her age but are more relatable and all the people I watch and love are in their mid twenties like the odd time i watch michelle phan but she doesn't appeal much any more and I always watch zoe ingrid estee lily anna but they do sometimes annoy me, sometimes gabby too, melanie murphy, cloudy apples, so many other utubers have more variety and fun in their videos!!!

anat4ever
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by anat4ever »

I think it's partially that she doesn't do reviews. From my personal perspective, as wonderful as her tutorials are, she's also starting to repeat a lot of ideas. Her more creative ones are unwearable for the every day person. The videos that make her stand out are the advice/ product recommendation videos because she's so much more knowledgable. But she doesn't upload as often as the gurus do, so that makes the advice videos more sporadic.

no its becky
Debater
Debater

Post by no its becky »

Cause she's professional and ain't nobody care about watching that on youtube

Moochy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Moochy »

The one thing all the big YouTubers have in common is that they have a wide appeal to lowest common denominator fans. It's a sausage machine of mediocrity, spewing out sh*t for low information tweenies sitting in their bedrooms dreaming of a better tomorrow.

Eldridge's Marilyn Monroe tutorial is extraordinary. But I bet Pixiwoo's stock standard black eyeliner and red lipstick tutorial has more views.

thecalcographer
Learner
Learner

Post by thecalcographer »

Are there any other gurus like Lisa? It would be great to get away from the incessant giggling/Pixiwoo for a bit but I can't find anyone who does their videos as professionally as she does.

RubyTwoShoes
Learner
Learner

Post by RubyTwoShoes »

^^Karima McKimmie is lovely. And Sharon Farrell.

shittymakeup
Learner
Learner

Post by shittymakeup »

Lisa also uses a lot of products that aren't easily accessible to a lot of people (e.g., Suqqu products which aren't available stateside) and quite high-end/expensive products. Lots of folks won't watch tutorials where they can't run out and get said product immediately because of costs or availability. I mean look at how many people whine for drugstore tutorials on every guru's page. Instead of, you know, looking up swatches and comparing products and then implementing techniques they learned in a video, they have to be told exactly what product to use.

fabulous
Debater
Debater

Post by fabulous »

I'm somewhat glad she isn't as popular though. It feels nice to have something exquisite only to yourself and a "handful" of others, you know what I mean? :) I'm amazed she does all this for free.
http://www.gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=356
http://www.gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

I think its because her videos are very few and far between. Also, she's amazing but her a lot of eye makeup looks aren't very helpful, to me at least. I remember seeing comments on her videos like "I wonder how much this brand paid her to show their products", maybe some are skeptical of her recommendations? This year I was disappointed to see that there were very less variations among all the looks she did.
Still, she's the most knowledgeable guru out there. Love watching her tips.

sweethomenc
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by sweethomenc »

I think the comment about product selection is very on point. I LOVE her work, but I just don't think the products she uses are 1) affordable for the common person trying to just take care of their own makeup and not invest in it like it's a tool of their trade 2)widely available. Pixiwoo does a better job with mixing price points, so I think that helps with their appeal.

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

But Lisa also uses products of different price points. In her videos, the products are of all kinds - drugstore, high and luxury.

Moochy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Moochy »

Lisa is about the art of makeup. It's obvious she learned from the best and has honed her craft.

Pixiwoo slapped on slap at a makeup counter.

There is no comparison.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

Lisa takes her time in creating a look; she takes her time to blend, she takes her time in explaining the effect of using certain colours and products, and if there is history involved, she takes her time to explain the significance of that history in relation to world events (like the makeup in the World War eras and how supplies affected the availability of makeup etc.) She doesn't rush, and she's very prim. She doesn't make duckface and sparrowface and she doesn't let her viewers bash people when they disagree with her -coughMICHELLEPHANcoughcough-

Lisa Eldridge's videos on vintage makeup are videos that every makeup enthusiasts should watch. Learning the use of makeup without learning the history and evolution of makeup is just enabling the superficiality of makeup without there being any significant historical arc in regards to the artistic and cultural development that makeup provides. Makeup shouldn't just be about vain bitches and overpriced products. Lisa Eldridge doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and as a result, though not reaching as wide an audience as others who do, she is only appreciated by those who are mindful enough to appreciate the depth of makeup artistry.

Also, she is now the new CREATIVE DIRECTOR of Lancome. I look forward to seeing her kick Michelle Phan's ass in that department.

delamortia
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by delamortia »

I do think it's down to the type of audience that watches her videos (mature people have more things to do rather than watching Youtube videos) and her minimalistic view about beauty. Popular gurus often have a lot more to do with new launches, reviews, trendy makeup whereas Lisa concentrates on beautifying and boosting one's natural features in the most natural / flattering way possible. She uses mostly high-end makeup (but I must say she does use drugstore ones quite often for easier access for everyone), but it's worth remembering that many of her clients are A-listers, designer fashion shows/shoots/campaigns where using high-end luxury products is the norm.

Anyway, amongst gurus that do those horrible duckfaces, act like a child and apply thick layers of everything, it's fresh to see Lisa's views, learning her expertise techniques, getting lots of advices and information and get a feel of how it really is in the fashion industry working with all the celebrities really. I also love her sophisticated style and calming voice, there's nothing not to love about this woman (apart from the existential question of why I can't be as graceful :| ).

MissAnthropy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MissAnthropy »

Lisa achieves so much with a little bit of each product... she is a true artist. I agree with what people have said on why she isn't more popular...

I do feel I have learned a lot from watching her - mainly that very little makeup can have a high impact. If you watch the average "guru" they really use way too many products to achieve what Lisa can do with with just a few. I like that she makes an effort to always talk about different skin types, skin colors, face shapes, age, etc.

Her tutorials aren't about selling products, they are about showing technique. She does talk about trends, but she doesn't run out to make repetitive videos about the latest contour kit or fad. If she does make a video about a makeup trend, it's well thought out and informative.

I personally don't mind she uses a lot of products I don't have, because I feel I just learn a lot from viewing how she applies things. I don't need a $200 Suqqu cheek brush used by a true professional (that can justify their purchase) to learn that very little blush blended out with patience gives a way better result than the average application shown on most tutorials. I have a cheaper soft brush that can achieve a similar result thanks to following her technique - that to me is the point of her channel.

Return to “Lisa Eldridge”