Vegetarians/Vegans

smorespup
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by smorespup »

Ok, so I need some advice from all you vegans out there.

I've been interested in transitioning to veganism for a really long time. Like two years. Basically, I keep making excuses for myself saying it's not convenient, it's expensive, blah blah blah. I'm really angry and frustrated with myself for putting it off for so long when I know how important it is. I'm looking for some advice on how to transition. I'm finding it really overwhelming and difficult. I am a college student, so that does make it just a bit more difficult. My dining hall doesn't offer many vegan options. There's a salad bar and occasionally vegan soups, and that's about it. More than anything though, my problem is will power. Because there are so few vegan options, I often find myself settling for non-vegan food. Does anyone have any tips on staying motivated? Also, could you recommend any easy and affordable recipes/types of food that take very little preparation? I've been compiling tons of recipes, but some of them have crazy-long ingredient lists, and I just can't afford that on my budget. Any and all advice is welcome.

nyobi
Debater
Debater

Post by nyobi »

smorespup wrote:Ok, so I need some advice from all you vegans out there.

I've been interested in transitioning to veganism for a really long time. Like two years. Basically, I keep making excuses for myself saying it's not convenient, it's expensive, blah blah blah. I'm really angry and frustrated with myself for putting it off for so long when I know how important it is. I'm looking for some advice on how to transition. I'm finding it really overwhelming and difficult. I am a college student, so that does make it just a bit more difficult. My dining hall doesn't offer many vegan options. There's a salad bar and occasionally vegan soups, and that's about it. More than anything though, my problem is will power. Because there are so few vegan options, I often find myself settling for non-vegan food. Does anyone have any tips on staying motivated? Also, could you recommend any easy and affordable recipes/types of food that take very little preparation? I've been compiling tons of recipes, but some of them have crazy-long ingredient lists, and I just can't afford that on my budget. Any and all advice is welcome.
Hello, I'm not a vegan but I'm transitioning to a pescetarian mainly because I'm mildly allergic to broiler chicken and I find myself eating more fish, rarely meat - I have never eaten pork or turkey or any kind of meat other than fish/chicken/beef so I am finding myself transitioning a lil bit easier. Also wanting to have a change in my lifestyle, be healthier so I can shoo my damn allergies away.

For motivation, you should reflect on WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A VEGAN? Because it's cool? Because of health reasons? Because you don't support unethical slaughterhouses and things like that? I want to make a healthy change in my lifestyle as I have some health issues... which is why I am determined to go pescetarian.

I feel you. I live in an Asian country. We eat lots of fish and I grew up with that. There are almost no vegan restaurants here, people are die-hard fish and meat eaters. Vegan/vegetarian options are limited to. That's why I usually prepare my own dishes.

I don't think you need to be creative to make up vegan dishes. Visit the market, and see what's fresh and what's on sale. As an Asian, I eat rice daily. Vegetables that are common to us are kangkong (water spinach), bokchoy, choysum, etc. Then you can stir fry them, and top them with vegan dressing (soy sauce?). For protein go with nuts or soy. TOFU IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, and they're dirt cheap + widely available in here so I eat them lots too. You can also opt for lentils, peas and whatnot. I personally don't eat peas that much.

I'm a student too but my family does all the grocery shopping. I go out with them and pick out foods, but I just make use of what I have most of the time. Transitioning to a new diet can be weird and hard on the wallet at first, but in the long drive you'll find yourself saving money. Again just look on whatever vegan-safe food is on sale... I'm not a vegan, only a transitioning pescetarian and am still learning about choices we can make.

Good luck. I'm sure vegans on this board can educate you better than me haha. xo

angelaj0921
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by angelaj0921 »

My boyfriend is trying to cut out meat, mainly to get healthier and lose weight, but I'm not vegetarian and I really don't know what to make him. He's also trying to cut out most pasta rice and most breads. Anybody have any ideas on what types of things to make him for dinners. I can barely get him to eat salads also. Help please! Lol

moonlightpixie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by moonlightpixie »

No hate,but I saw this online ''dear vegetarians,if you're trying to save the animals,why are you eating their food?'' this is partly true and funny at the same time. Would love to hear your opinions about this.

hjtdeg
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by hjtdeg »

Come on, give me one reason not to be a vegan that doesn't involve You. It's all about you.

nevermore
Informer
Informer

Post by nevermore »

Any recommendations (other than Freelee who I don't really think spreads a good message) for the better Vegan YouTube accounts to follow? TIA <3

scantron
Learner
Learner

Post by scantron »

nevermore wrote:Any recommendations (other than Freelee who I don't really think spreads a good message) for the better Vegan YouTube accounts to follow? TIA <3
Mr. and Mrs. Vegan, Supreme Banana, Izzy Davis, Applesandamandas, Tiffany DeSilva :tu:

Winnie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Winnie »

moonlightpixie wrote:No hate,but I saw this online ''dear vegetarians,if you're trying to save the animals,why are you eating their food?'' this is partly true and funny at the same time. Would love to hear your opinions about this.
It's the other way around, actually. Farm animals are eating our food.

https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/ma ... e_id=29892

For example, it takes 20 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of beef. We're throwing away 19 lbs of food (and an enormous amount of water, fuel, etc.) to get 1 lb of food. How wasteful is that? If land used to grow food for livestock was instead used to grow food for humans, we could feed an additional 4 billion people per year.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 8/3/034015

georgiamay
Learner
Learner

Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by georgiamay »

nevermore wrote:Any recommendations (other than Freelee who I don't really think spreads a good message) for the better Vegan YouTube accounts to follow? TIA <3
I've recently discovered Kristen Leo and fell in love! She talks a lot about ethical fashion too. Lauren Toyota is great as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iprefertolurk
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by iprefertolurk »

Has anyone tried the rawtill4 diet? Does it really work as well as freelee claims?

georgiamay
Learner
Learner

Post by georgiamay »

iprefertolurk wrote:Has anyone tried the rawtill4 diet? Does it really work as well as freelee claims?
I haven't tried it myself, but I guess it could be a good idea if you live in a warm climate like Freelee. I live in a place where there's very little fresh produce for like 8 months in a year. Plus when it's below zero outside, only hot, cooked food actually satisfies you. I mean, rawtill4 would be doable, but I don't think it would be a very pleasant experience.

Maddiemaetoo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Maddiemaetoo »

scantron wrote:
Mr. and Mrs. Vegan, Supreme Banana, Izzy Davis, Applesandamandas, Tiffany DeSilva :tu:
Yes.....The Vegan Couple, Henya Mania and Raw Alignment ( grew huge really fast) are some other recommendation!!!

Maddiemaetoo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Maddiemaetoo »

scantron wrote:
Yes.....The Vegan Couple, Henya Mania and Raw Alignment ( grew huge really fast) are some other recommendation!!!

dustfairy
Debater
Debater

Post by dustfairy »

Cheap lazy vegan is a fantastic youtube channel for really easy recipes that just use basic cheap ingredients

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

I really like Lisa Lorles as well. She studies nutrition and health sciences, and she's gorgeous. A lot of her recipes seem to be off Pinterest, but I think she makes up for that by explaining the health benefits of the ingredients she uses.

Astrolove
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Astrolove »

Read a study about vegetarianism being more prone to depression. I wonder how true it is..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... a369571e89

merryheleen
Informer
Informer

Post by merryheleen »

Astrolove wrote:Read a study about vegetarianism being more prone to depression. I wonder how true it is..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... a369571e89
I'm always a bit suspicious about these kind of articles, you never know how much "food capitalism" influences all the newspapers/magazines.

But I may believe it for a really simple reason: if you're vegetarian/vegan, you're probably more conscious about the environment/health etc and usually people who think a lot / are sensitive about certain topics may get sad easily because they are aware of how bad the situation we're living in is.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

lucy70
Learner
Learner

Post by lucy70 »

Pastel wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 am
I really like Lisa Lorles as well. She studies nutrition and health sciences, and she's gorgeous. A lot of her recipes seem to be off Pinterest, but I think she makes up for that by explaining the health benefits of the ingredients she uses.
I love her videos.She is beautiful and studies nutrition so is qualified to give advice.I like that she also explains the science behind it in her videos. She hasn't posted in ages though

SweetDream
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by SweetDream »

You should read much information and speak to your doctor. and then decided to go diet or no

Magnificent12
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Magnificent12 »

thank you very much for the information very interesting

Return to “Diet”