Booktubers

fuzzyears
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Booktubers

Post by fuzzyears »

I didn't see the original video but didn't believe her emotions were that sincere and she did seem to be protesting a bit too much for it to be believable. My parents didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up and I've only been abroad once in my life. If she was really skint she wouldn't have moved even if the new place is cheaper because moving is still expensive, plus renting her place, bills etc. I probably like books so much because the library was one of the only free places I could go as a kid and reading was the only way to entertain yourself when the tv/internet bills were too expensive. She has shelves and shelves of books she could sell. If she was really broke, instead of going to Scotland she'd do something that doesn't cost a lot like going camping and she'd have a job with a more reliable income than youtube and writing. I only know about the UK publishing industry but authors don't actually make a lot even with royalties and I assume with a co-author you only get half the money. The big money comes from selling the rights of the book to a Tv/movie company. She said she didn't know her dad took out that huge loan from the bank to pay for her school but why wasn't she trying to pay for it herself? My parents always made it clear that if I wanted to go uni, anything that didn't get covered by the Maintenance loan and grants would have to be covered by myself.

mystictrash
Learner
Learner

Post by mystictrash »

I can't get over how she's acting as if she isn't going to Scotland next week and didn't go to like 5 cons this year. Sasha dear, if you're really struggling with money try to budget it instead of buying unnecessary things and traveling all the time. She said in her original video, "I'm not even middle class" what ??? You live very comfortably, she literally just bought an apartment in Texas, has internet, has heat, electricity, and food, and can afford furniture and books, yet somehow she's like third class guise. I understand money is tight sometimes, but get a grip Sasha you are living in a perfectly financial state since you have over 300k subscribers. Sorry this was so long I'm just so frustrated.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

Sasha is protesting way too much. She could just say "it's an unexpected situation for me and my family and we're trying to deal with it" instead of repeating over and over that she's not rich and counting pennies. If you're well off and suddenly you're less well off, it can be tough even if you can still afford stuff, because that's what you were personally used to I guess. But her insistence that she's struggling sooo much just makes her look privileged and ignorant. What was the point of the video anyway?

On a different note, I never really cared much about Ariel in the past but I enjoyed her most recent videos. I feel like at the moment more booktubers are talking about booktube's weird pressure to buy and read hundreds of books each year, which I find interesting. I'm only a viewer and I find myself getting caught up in it sometimes.

Broomsticks
Learner
Learner

Post by Broomsticks »

Hi, I'm new to these forums, wanted to try it out. Has anyone seen tashapolis' new video where she sings? How that girl thinks she can sing is beyond me, I couldn't stop cringing the whole time!

OpinionsPleeease
Learner
Learner

Post by OpinionsPleeease »

[youtube][/youtube]

What do you guys think about Mercy's book subscription box? I guess this is the project she said she was starting to work part time at work.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

I like that it's only about the books. I'm kind of into the idea of a subscription box, but it's always expensive to ship where I live, and it's usually YA themed. I hardly read YA and I certainly don't need stuff like Hunger Games inspired scented candles in my life. I think hers is quite reasonable, I'm curious to see how it goes.

Cinzia is back. She seems happier, which is lovely.

Mazement
Learner
Learner

Post by Mazement »

Very happy to have found this corner of GG!

Sasha explaining how she's so incredibly poor that her bank account is in the negative (who hasn't been from time to time?!) and then throwing in 'I'm getting a dog!' at the end ruffled my feathers so much!

I can't believe she watched that back and thought "Yes, that all makes sense, time to post it online!"

wildestdreams144
Lurker
Lurker

Post by wildestdreams144 »

She claims she's poor however shes in Scotland for nearly a month (supposedly to write however i don't think they have done much of that) she has just got a tattoo and the puppy she is getting is an Australian Shepherd which i would guess are around $1000 (on her snap chat she went visiting a animal rescue place to look at dogs, however i think that was just for show as the puppy looks like its from a breeder)
It just annoys me so much that she made that video she is delusional if she thinks she is poor.

fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fossilfinger »

Are there any good booktube channels for adult books/non-romance books? It's hard to wade through them because so many are centered on YA books.

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

fossilfinger wrote:Are there any good booktube channels for adult books/non-romance books? It's hard to wade through them because so many are centered on YA books.
JeanBookishThoughts, Jane Campbell and ReadsandDaydreams. They are all friends and usually don't talk about YA, maybe one YA book per year or so. They are also involved with the ManBooker awards; they read nominated books and give their feedback. I have read many books based on their recommendations and I'm hardly ever disappointed.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

I'm currently loving Portal in the Pages and Savidge Reads.

Has anyone listened to Mercedes and Lauren's new podcast? I really liked it, it felt like having a chat with friends. Around the same time I watched the videos Mercedes did with Kitty and Elena on their respective channels, and everyone seemed so... bitchy? I know they're friends irl, and sometimes you talk to your close friends in a way that outsiders might find a bit weird, but I felt like the whole time they were having low key digs at each other. I thought the podcast and her recent video with Jen were much more natural and pleasant in comparison.

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

staedtler wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:Are there any good booktube channels for adult books/non-romance books? It's hard to wade through them because so many are centered on YA books.
JeanBookishThoughts, Jane Campbell and ReadsandDaydreams. They are all friends and usually don't talk about YA, maybe one YA book per year or so. They are also involved with the ManBooker awards; they read nominated books and give their feedback. I have read many books based on their recommendations and I'm hardly ever disappointed.
I forgot to mention Kamilreads and 7 days at sea

ravenclaw67
Informer
Informer

Post by ravenclaw67 »

I've fallen out of watching booktube videos as much as I used to, mostly due to lack of trust/everybody trying to make money off of me. But Elena Reads Books is a good channel, she reads different types of books and doesn't come across too preachy. Chboskyy (I think how it's spelled) seems cool too, she has a full time job outside her videos. Also undertheradarbooks reads interesting stuff. I also really like Amy Jane Smith ... Her videos are weirdly calm and comforting and she's very smart. Hoping she doesn't get sucked into the UK booktube clique.
The big UK booktubers (Jen Campbell, Lauren and the books, Reads and Daydreams, Jean Bookishthoughts, Mercysbookishmusings, even Kitty G and Elena reads books too, sometimes seem like a Mean Girls esc clique. The way the big American booktubers do, except at least with the UK sphere they don't read overhyped YA constantly.)

I also watched the collabs with Elena, Kaitlyn, and Mercedes and definitely see them all a bit differently. Mercedes especially. She said people at her work said she doesn't seem like herself in her videos which is kind of a red flag. Jen Campbell definitely has the knowledge, but I prefer her older videos, they seem more honest. I can't get past all the sponsorships that ALL bigger booktubers get ... Even if they're honest about it. ("I partnered with..." "Thanks to (publisher) for teaming up with me...") When money is involved, profits and branding and full time book-related jobs get involved, it changes the reallness of it all and I can't trust anything they say.

Like, good for them I guess, everybody's got to pay the bills, but it just rubs me the wrong way. (I think I've said this on here before? Maybe Not.) I also had a bad experience with a book subscription box so now I'm cynical. It's cheaper just to buy your own books from book depository. I used to feel like it was just actual people, women who I could relate to who are all around me age, but now I feel like I'm just trying to be sold to.

One thing I do really like about booktube, though, is that it's so heavily female-focused. I mean that most of booktube is women. It's a wonderfully refreshing change from the asshole white boys taking up most of YouTube / the world.

lilwoof
Learner
Learner

Post by lilwoof »

I loveeee Life Between Words. She seems like a great person and also recommends pretty unique/interesting books.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

ravenclaw67 wrote:I also watched the collabs with Elena, Kaitlyn, and Mercedes and definitely see them all a bit differently. Mercedes especially. She said people at her work said she doesn't seem like herself in her videos which is kind of a red flag.
Have you seen Mercedes' videos with her boyfriend? I was scrolling through her videos recently looking for reviews and ended up going quite far back, I think they're from 2013 and 2014. I was curious because she doesn't really parade him in front of the camera like some other people do, I didn't know he was ever featured in her vids until I randomly came across them, but I found them so awkward to watch. Again, I'm just an outsider seeing a tiny glimpse of their lives so I probably can't judge what they're really like, but I got a weird vibe from them.

TheUnMarySue
Learner
Learner

Post by TheUnMarySue »

She only has around 37k subscribers, she does not get the offers that Jesse, Regan, Kat, and Christine get. I stopped watching her because she defends bigger booktubers anytime they do something wrong, she thinks so highly of herself, and then makes this video. As if she makes anywhere near what they make :rofl: [youtube][/youtube]

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Post by NicoleThePickle »

TheUnMarySue wrote:She only has around 37k subscribers, she does not get the offers that Jesse, Regan, Kat, and Christine get. I stopped watching her because she defends bigger booktubers anytime they do something wrong, she thinks so highly of herself, and then makes this video. As if she makes anywhere near what they make :rofl: [youtube][/youtube]
Listen. I don't really like her either but if you watch her video she points out she and people below 100K subscribers don't make much off ads.

Return to “BookTube”