Anime - Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan [SPOILERS]

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Anime - Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan [SPOILERS]

Post by Chiyou »

This is a continuation of the SnK/AoT discussion that was happening in the "Trash a Guru" Michelle Phan forum to specific people [@foxoxoxo and @mrkalbi] because my PMs are being held up in my outbox and not being sent for something reason.

However, everybody, please feel free to join in on the discussion if you watch the show!

mrkalbi wrote:
Chiyou wrote:
foxoxoxo wrote:I'm crying at how she's butchering the series ugh she's such a poser it kills me inside, I really hold SnK really near my heart, as cheesy as it sounds but idk I really relate to the characters in certain ways but ugh seriously why does she try so hard to be that "hottie that likes anime, can do makeup, and knows /geeky/ stuff"
Ugh!
I am soooo sorry for quoting you to talk about AoT on the MP forum, but the PMs on GG have been poopy-faces lately and none of my messages have been going through. They've just been sitting in my outbox. :(

I hate that of all of the people in AoT, Michelle chooses to admire Mikasa. Sure, she's a genius-level MMG user and given time, I'm sure her skills be on par with Levi's (his attack on the female Titan was amaze-balls...), but I honestly don't like her very much. I actually like Sasha, or Petra, or Hanji better. I think Mikasa is selfish. All she cares to protect is Eren. I mean, in a time when humankind is close to extinction, where everyone is trying to work together to minimize the threats of the Titans and where each sortie beyond the walls ends in thousands of lives lost, all she cares about is the survival of ONE person? Really? I understand that Eren is the only family she has left, but she needs to see the big picture of the situation and not just make it all about Eren. IMO, she's just a lovesick Mary Sue with a pair of really sharp swords...huh, I guess that's why Michelle likes her!

I like Armin better because he is wise, has a strategic mind, and he is GROWING. He has character development. I can potentially see him taking the place of either Commander Elwin or Pixis as he ages. He has a lot of potential that have yet to be revealed.

Anyway, just my two cents on AoT...@foxoxoxo, please PM me if you want to talk more...I hope it's not just my account with the retarded PMing.... :(
I totally agree with you! I don't get the hype about Mikasa I honestly hate her character it's like the writers were like ok we're not really gonna give her a personality but we'll make her awesome because she's a supporting character and we need one of those characters that are hardened and cold and bad ass. I'm personally a fan of Sasha, but I'm only on episode 8 so it might change. Glad to know I'm not the only who isn't swooning over Mikasa, I'm so sick and tired of the silent but strong female stereotype that is so reoccurring in anime.
Thanks! Oh boy, since you're only on Episode 8, you have SO much to catch up on! Things get SO good!

I wouldn't say that I *hate* her character, but I don't find her interesting. Maybe there's something in store for her storyline that will make her interesting, but for now, I find her completely static. I don't like that she doesn't have a "bigger" goal beyond Eren. She makes Eren her life and that impedes her judgment when she's fighting (you'll know what I mean later in the series). It leaves her short sighted, so even though she's a "natural" at using the MMG, her potential is stifled because she is so blinded by her attraction to (?) overprotection of (?) obsession with (?) Eren. I'm not even sure what she feels about him, but it's pretty clear that he is her entire world right now, and that just doesn't sit well with me. :|

I don't mind the "silent but strong" female stereotype, if done properly. I mean, Lisbeth Salander from The Millennium Trilogy is, like, my fictional role model, haha. I don't know if you've seen Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but I really like the relationship between Hawkeye and Mustang. They don't have a lot (if any) moments of PDA in the anime, but it's really obvious that they love each other. They are in the military (like Eren and Mikasa) and they know that there are things at stake and more important urgent issues to fight for than just the two of them. They know that there are sacrifices and difficult decisions that need to be made and they are both ready to sacrifice their personal happiness for the greater good of the world. They know that in order to better the world that they live in, there may be circumstances and situations where they would need to risk their lives. They have made peace with the possibility that they may have to live without each other if one of them dies in their fight for the greater good. They would grieve, mourn, and then move on.

In Mikasa's case though, she's pretty much like, "I don't give a fuck if this mission fails as long as Eren is safe." And it just bothers me because she is such a SKILLED MMG user that I'm like, "OMG, you can really be putting your skills to better use in the fight against the Titans if you weren't worried about Eren all the damn time." I don't believe Mikasa to be capable, at this point, of continuing to live if Eren dies because he's basically her whole purpose of living. Reminds me of Bella Swan in New Moon when Edward left her. Blasphemy to compare AoT with Twilight, I know, but at this point in the anime, yeah...Mikasa is basically Bella Swan with a pair of really sharp swords.

To be fair though, Mikasa is probably just like 14/15 years old so she still has some emotional development to go through.

I don't know, I guess I am just SOOOO over love stories where the couple only cares for their own personal happiness over the well being of the rest of the world.

@mrkalbi, to avoid spoilers, don't read my response to @foxoxoxo below!
foxoxoxo wrote:hey hey! Love what you put down on Mikasa! Personally I love Mikasa, but she is most definitely selfish and not willing to think of others where she puts Eren before herself and anyone, no matter the situation, I feel as though Mikasa loves Eren to the extent of she's willing to risk herself for him because she saved him and she sees him as her saving grace, it's cute to an extent but unbelievably unhealthy. Where as Levi (a hes my loveeeee haha) puts everyone before himself and is willing to risk his body just to save someone, like his ankle breaking when fighting the female Titan like a badass because he saw how much Mikasa wanted him back and how dumb she was to almost get killed by her, and like him giving the other Soldier, Petra's emblem and say it was their friends' emblem just to comfort them after seeing Petra's body used as bait to distract the Titans after them
Omg I love Sasha and Hanji (she's my princess and I'm cosplaying her for AX next year! Lol), Sasha is such a badass and fierce, she's clearly adept to making quick desicions and strong as hell even though she can be an oddball, and Hanji is an absolute genius~ and huge risk taker just for the sake of helping humanity
Ahh. I love everyone in the series hehe have you been reading the manga?
Hey, thanks! Sorry my PMs didn't go through! Boooo....

I don't have anything against people who like Mikasa, but she's just not where I'd like her to be right now and unlike Armin, I'm not seeing any character development, but I'm keeping my hopes up. :tu:

OMG, Levi...so fucking badass! His look also cracks me up for some reason...I think it's her hair with the center part...reminds me of a bowl cut, so juxtapose that with his personality, and I'm just like, "Yeah, I can't...you're too awesome." lol.

It took THREE people to do what Levi did to the female Titan! I'm so sad about what happened to his team! My husband and I both let out a collective "Ohhhhhhhh" when they got attacked. I was really starting to like Petra....And when they returned to the walls and they showed the families of his team and then Petra's dad went to talk to Levi, I'm just like :fit: Don't even remind me of how they tossed Petra's corpse off of the wagon... T_T

Then I'm reminded that, shit, everything that went down with the female Titan happened IN ONE AFTERNOON. Like, OMGWTFBBQ.

Sasha and Hanji look very similar to me so I often get the two of them confused. Hanji is HILARIOUS. I felt so bad for her when Sawney and Bean were killed. She was so devastated! I like the both of them because they are both really quirky, lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing more back story of Elwin and Levi. I feel like they have a very interesting relationship. I also like Pixis because he's such an eccentric old geezer! Haha.

No, I haven't read the manga. I'm more of an anime watcher than a manga reader. I also don't want any spoilers, haha. Is the anime faithful to the manga?

NotAZombie

Re: Anime - Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan [SPOILERS]

Post by NotAZombie »

I have been reading the manga when the anime came out, it is quite faithful to the manga so far :)

I think you have nailed how Mikasa actually is. tbh she is one of my least favourite characters in AoT because like you have mentioned, she is pretty "static". Even other characters, like Jean, has developments *spoiler* from a laid back person who just want to join the military police for being safe to the front line Survey Corps, although he was really reluctant to :D I can tell Jean has a lot of potential in being a more interesting character than the main ones.

Mikasa on the other hand, idk, everything about her is Eren. I liked her during the first few episodes because she is pretty badass after all, but I really got bored of her during the recent episodes, even Armin shows more characteristics that she ever does. I understand if the author wants to portray her protectiveness towards her sole family member, but can't she has her own moment when she is not tied to Eren?

I wanted to comment about what happened next in the manga but....I'd just wait until the anime comes out that part. :D

kurumi
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kurumi »

anyone here read the latest episode? there are lots of assumptions and guessing about the plot, and I'm not ready to know the rest of the story. :(

Btw, if you guys haven't watch Japan's presentation at IOC. It totally reminded so many ppl in Japan "shinzou wo sasageyo" (salute) lol
ImageImage

foxoxoxo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by foxoxoxo »

Oh yeah I hear they're going to end the anime with an original ending, and supposedly there are only going to be 25 eps including the recap, with high possibility of a second season but who knows, I'm so anxious to know how it's gonna end!
Oh yeah, the anime is super faithful to manga so far, it's really nice to see how they animate certain panels of the manga into anime and how close to the manga style they keep it, I'm proud of the SnK team and Iyasama, also I think the reason why Iyasama is keeping Mikasa so attached to Eren in this moment at time is because they are so young and they haven't developed the "maturity" to be able to attach themselves to other people, like Mikasa lost her parents twice, her biological parents, and then her adoptive parents so I can understand her attachment to Eren, and Eren can be a bit tunnel visioned at times, but I love where he's going in the manga~, and Armin is such a badass, trying to keep this spoiler free for those who haven't read the manga but wow his intellect is unbelievably advanced! Just how quick he is to think and ugh I love Armin, he's my baby haha
(Sorry about my typo on Chiyou's message, I meant how he saved her, not the other way around, curse typing on mobile lol)
Levi's haircut is quite funny but I love him so much, and I can relate to him a lot personality wise haha
Pixis is awesome! But I felt so bad for all the threats Iyasama received for designing Pixis the way he did!

Jean omg I love Jean a lot haha he's such a cocky coward in the beginning but really comes into his own later on

*SPOILER AHEAD**SPOILER AHEAD*
the way he through himself and stabbed that Titan in the eye just to help Mikasa reach Eren after being grabbed by the Titan was so badass of him! I was like ahhhhh so perfect lol! And omg Bertholdt and Reiner! I feel so bad for them and Ymir

*END OF SPOILER* *END OF SPOILER*

I really love Christa and Ymir, Connie is awesome too hehe
I love the seiyuus for Connie and Eren too

(Sorry I really love SnK) lol
Makoto Tachibana gives me a reason to get up in the morning Image

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

You know, I really like that the recent trend in anime is NOT to overextend the show (ahem, Naruto, One PIece, Bleach, Detective Conan...). I hope they go for a second season! I'm not quite ready for this show to wrap up yet!

Re: Mikasa, Armin, Eren - At this point in time in the anime, this is my order of favorites: Armin, Eren, Mikasa. I think Armin is such an underrated and underappreciated character right now! It's not fair! I mean, I can just FEEL his character overflowing with potential! Ugh, I just want to slap people who say they don't like Armin because he's a "wuss" and then tell them, "You're not watching the show properly! Pay attention to his character development!" LOL. I'm glad that he'll get his moment to shine though!

Eren can be kind of annoying because I think he "overreaches" sometimes, like his declaration to kill ALL the Titans when he doesn't necessarily have the skills to back it up...yet. I respect him for his passion though, lol. One of the reasons why I've always liked Eren better than Mikasa is because he has always been one of the few people to imagine life beyond the walls...that there is something BIGGER and BETTER for humans to explore...that they DESERVE a better life than to always live in fear of the Titans all the time.

It was a little unfair of me to compare Eren/Mikasa to Hawkeye/Mustang from FMA because there is a significant age gap between the two. I mean, Hawkeye and Mustang are both in their twenties in FMA...they should KNOW better. I sometimes forget that both Eren and Mikasa are only teenagers. They still have a lot of growing up to do, so I'm giving Mikasa the benefit of the doubt that she will grow and have more than just Eren on her radar.

Jean is an interesting character indeed! He is still so conflicted about what he knows he SHOULD do versus what he WANTS to do. He is a prime example of a character who always chooses to do what is RIGHT versus what is EASY and I like that about him =]

I'm sure those who've read the manga know who the female Titan is, but seriously, I hope that bitch gets what's coming to her! Ugh!

NotAZombie

Post by NotAZombie »

I absolutely adore Levi and Jean, and I feel TERRIBLY sorry for Levi :( Jean first appeal to me as some kind of jerk, but as the story goes on I can't help but like him more :D

Armin rises up to be more favorable character than Eren and Mikasa for me because he is very intelligent. Physically he is still kind of a wuss, but his smartness is a valuable asset to him and that is what keeping him and the other survive all the time. He really knows how to outsmart his opponents. If he spends another second doubting his ability I will seriously want to punch him lol.

Connie gets not too much screen time or exposure so far, but I can feel he is another interesting character that comes after Jean.

So far the story is good at constantly keeping me in suspence! It makes me so nervous all the time :o The last few chapters of the manga so far made me go wtf.

kabukixo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kabukixo »

I agree that Mikasa is a mary sue - I don't hate her, and I don't LOVE her - I'm kind of indifferent? Except when she threatened to kill those guys who were blocking the gate with their cart. That was badass. I also agree that ARMIN IN FLOWING WITH POTENTIAL. The only character I don't really like is Eren - I almost never like main characters. I don't know why.

And I'm reaaally interested to see more of Elwin.

WhiskerstheMouse
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by WhiskerstheMouse »

This is my Game of Thrones anime, because every time I start to like a character, BAM! T_T Petra. Still I have a (probably stupid) question, why is Mikasa so much stronger than a regular person? I understand that it's a fantasy world and all that but they're supposed to be regular people but she's inhumanly strong. Is it explained in the manga? I only just started reading it. (I do know several spoilers from future chapters of the manga though)

NotAZombie

Post by NotAZombie »

^I think it was because she successfully controlled her body and reflexes without limitation and restriction from her emotions ever since she was rescues by Eren(in her childhood), putting the factors of fear away from her head(which most MMG users have serious problem dealing with), there is nothing holding her back from performing the moves she wants.

Return to “Anime”