Are sigma brushes worth it?

ilovecatsxD
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ilovecatsxD »

I was thinking about getting the Sigma Mrs.Bunny set. I get 20% off so it'd come out to be $142. I'm kinda a newbie at makeup so I don't have a lot of brushes. Are the brushes worth it? How's the quality?

If not.. any other brush recommendations would great.

VeronicaSawyer

Re: Are sigma brushes worth it?

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

No, they are so not worth it. Not at all. Sigma brushes are just mediocre quality factory brushes that they buy at cost, stamp their name on, and mark up like crazy. You can find the very same brushes on eBay for a tenth of the price. Don't let the YouTube hype fool you!! Lol. Gurus are paid to promote sigma stuff. If you want really good quality brushes, try Mac or something similar. The factory brushes on eBay are pretty good though, especially if you're a newb. If that sketches you out, opt for something like Real Techniques. Good quality for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etta

Post by etta »

Agreed ^^^

I had the same problem as you a couple weeks ago—I was dying to get Sigma's kabuki face set (the one with the F80 & F86 and all the other face brushes youtubers rave about) but they were so expensive. I discovered the knockoffs on ebay...They are just as soft and made just as well, but they aren't a big name brand. The brand name is Jessup. I love them! They apply my face makeup perfectly. (I think you can find cheap eye brushes on there too) I know that Ebay brushes might put off some people but I don't mind because I would never pay Sigma's insane prices. These are what mine look like if you're curious.

If you're not interested in those, I love my Real Techniques, Morphe, and Ecotools brushes :) Great quality for cheap. I know Real Techniques makes brush sets but I only own their eye brushes.

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

I got a set for my birthday and honestly some of them are really hit or miss.
Some of the brushes in my set are awesome! (The round top kabuki and some various face and eye brushes) and then some are just meh.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

ruby_x
Informer
Informer

Post by ruby_x »

I'm in the minority here but I really like them... Granted, they're not as good as MAC, but I honestly think they are a solid set of brushes for the price, especially if you can manage to find a coupon code. I've had mine for 2-3 years and they've held up pretty well with frequent washing and whatnot

badbitchlikethis
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by badbitchlikethis »

It really depends. Some of them, like the eye brushes, are quite good but they aren't as nicely shaped/tapered as a lot of the MAC brushes. If you don't mind that then I think they're pretty good. But a lot of the bigger brushes for things like powder and foundation are really poor quality in my opinion. They shed so easily and the quality just breaks down really fast, so for those types I'd rather just invest in a really good brush. Personally I wouldn't buy a whole set from any certain brand, I think it's better to pick and choose to your needs as many brands have their specific "star" brushes.

Rogue
Debater
Debater

Post by Rogue »

Not at all in my view. After all, they are a company that got their start by making rip-off mac imitations.

idonteven
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by idonteven »

I got the travel kit mr. bunny which was $86 although it was a christmas gift two years ago. I really love the brushes. For some reason I don't remember them being that expensive. I definitely wouldn't spend my own money on them if I needed to buy makeup brushes now. I don't even use the 3 of the brushes in the kit but it was cheaper than buying them individually I think. I was fairly new to makeup when I was looking around for brushes but they were a nice gift and I use them everyday.

I'd say if you wanna try them out maybe buy 1 or 2. i've always wanted to try the flat and round top kabuki brushes because I heard those were nice. But yeah ebay seems like a good suggestion. Wish I would've known about it earlier!

Agent_skypanda
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Agent_skypanda »

I can't get on this the sigma brushes at all and it's disappointing that the YT gurus rave over them just for a sponsor.

My fav are the MAC brushes but unfortunately I can't afford them anymore. So my new love and go to are the real techniques brushes they are fab! I have nearly the full collection that I have been getting when I see them on sale. They're so soft, cheap and comparable to the more expensive brands. I also like the Eco tools range for their big powder brush.

lyssa123
Debater
Debater

Post by lyssa123 »

I have had nothing but good luck with my sigma brushes. The kabuki face set is awesome - though you can buy the exact same brushes on ebay for a fraction of the price. The eye brushes I have are used every day, even more than my Mac brushes. If you're going to get any, I highly suggest the flat top kabuki face brush (F80), the tapered blending (E25), and the other tapered blending (E40). Mac has the 217 which is the same as the E25, but Macs is 24 and Sigmas is 14.

If you don't want to spend too much, check out Real Techniques, Eco Tools, and Elf brushes. I have some from all of the brands and love those as well.

YTbetches
Learner
Learner

Post by YTbetches »

Get Real Techniques instead! They're super soft synthetic brushes. I've had mine for over a year with daily use and none of them has shed yet. I think there was a 50% off deal floating on Reddit a week ago?

There are also lots of raves about the Jessup brushes. If you're going to pay $200, you might as well get something better than Sigma.

ilovecatsxD
Learner
Learner

Post by ilovecatsxD »

thank you so much everyone!! I'll be checking out the jessup and real techniques brushes! <3
Thank goodness i didn't spend $146+ :o

meow326
Debater
Debater

Post by meow326 »

What about crown brushes? They have a set like the sigmax, any good?

VeronicaSawyer

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

meow326 wrote:What about crown brushes? They have a set like the sigmax, any good?
Crown brushes are pretty meh in my opinion. Scratchy and not very good for bending. I'd rather go for the eBay sigma dupes or real techniques

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovecatsxD
Learner
Learner

Post by ilovecatsxD »

I thought I'd give an update on my brush adventure, So after hours of looking for good quality and affordable brushes I finally found Hakuhodo brushes! They are the manufactures of MAC brushes but from all the reviews I've read Hakuhodo brushes are better quality than the Mac brushes and also less expensive if you stick to the J or G series. Welp that's it! <3 <3 :tu:

Return to “Sigma”