tara incognita
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Off-Topic Discussion Not Related to Jen

Post by tara incognita »

:nom:

I don't have much to add except:

Good luck to all the cooks out there getting by this Thanksgiving without the luxury of backup KitchenAid mixers, three freezers, and a meat man.

organizedPhlegm
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by organizedPhlegm »

hurray for team 'going to a fancy schmancy restaurant'!

no 40 hour cooking week, no dishes, no laundry, no unwanted family members. sounds like bliss to me, so that's what we're doing. y'all have fun, if you celebrate.
thank you jeebus for this orla kiley walking pharmacy, or i'd be disorganized phlegm

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

Totally random plea for ideas...

My very dear husband brought home full quart size mason jars, which are WAAAAY to big for the persimmon jam I'm making. He can't find the receipt, and honestly I can't be bothered to go return them anyway. So I figure I'll use them for my cheaper family/neighbor gifts. I mean, there's five million "mason jar gift ideas" out there, but what would YOU actually like/use? I'm thinking not those layered mixes, because not everyone bakes. Maybe a fancy hot chocolate mix? Just fill it with small cookies? Bunch o' candy & a gift card? Any other ideas?

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

(He also bought cornbread stuffing mix... I have no idea why... and it's making me want to make Thanksgiving food RIGHT NOW and eat all of it. I have two full on Thanksgivings- one Thurs and one Fri- so it would be ridiculous to do this but man... stuffing!!!)

organizedPhlegm
Informer
Informer

Lady_Cusstard wrote:Totally random plea for ideas...

My very dear husband brought home full quart size mason jars, which are WAAAAY to big for the persimmon jam I'm making. He can't find the receipt, and honestly I can't be bothered to go return them anyway. So I figure I'll use them for my cheaper family/neighbor gifts. I mean, there's five million "mason jar gift ideas" out there, but what would YOU actually like/use? I'm thinking not those layered mixes, because not everyone bakes. Maybe a fancy hot chocolate mix? Just fill it with small cookies? Bunch o' candy & a gift card? Any other ideas?
i have never gotten excited over baked goods in a mason jar, but a bean soup or chili that can be thrown in a slow cooker makes me a happy camper.
thank you jeebus for this orla kiley walking pharmacy, or i'd be disorganized phlegm

YouGuysSlayMe
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by YouGuysSlayMe »

Lady_Cusstard wrote:Totally random plea for ideas...

Diamonds.
Dollar Bills.
Tequila.

;)
Thank you, Imp, for the StonerLikeJen avatar!

Pre-Fall
Talker
Talker

Post by Pre-Fall »

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate!

May you be blessed with the super-stomach powers of the Rosses (...with none of the IBS!),
May your meat be cooked somewhere in the middle of Don's two methods ("raw" and "beyond charred"),
May your jar pies be somewhat softer than concrete,
and may your hostess not hide from you in her bathtub upstairs*.

*Unless you are the host and your guests are driving you cray. In that case, contact LadyCusstard and YouGuysSlayMe for some mason jar tequila moonshine, sprinkle some bath salts into your tub/into your nose, and enjoy your escape!
formerly sapphiredistraction

Snobbitch
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Snobbitch »

Pre-Fall wrote:Ahhh, Snobbitch I'm debating back and forth between whether to bake mine tonight or early tomorrow! Tonight would be better time management-wise (I hate the idea of rushing to peel my apples, make my crusts, bake it, clean up, and get out the door by a certain time tomorrow) but I've read some guides that say the pie is much better baked day-of.

Have you done both? Noticed any significant differences?

Does the bottom of your pie get mushy when you bake the night before?

I feel like Jen now, hahaha.
Sorry I just came back & saw it. I always bake pies the day before. Apple is tricky no matter what to avoid mush so I tend to use glass pans so I can see the bottom as its baking to ensure its done.

dokidoki
Learner
Learner

Post by dokidoki »

Anyone go Black Friday shopping today? Let me live vicariously through your purchases! Canada had a few sales but I skipped going out. Probably going to tackle my Christmas shopping online!

Athletic Calves
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Athletic Calves »

^i purchased over 400 pounds of kitty litter. Yep...enough for an entire year. Pet Smart had a 50% off sale so every year on Black Friday I purchase enough for a year.

I know, I know. I live such a glamorous life! I also bought a Dooney & Bourke handbag for my sister for $89 (regularly $398).
Formerly KittyGlitter

Snobbitch
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Snobbitch »

dokidoki wrote:Anyone go Black Friday shopping today? Let me live vicariously through your purchases! Canada had a few sales but I skipped going out. Probably going to tackle my Christmas shopping online!
I tend to Black Friday shop on my computer since most of the deals can be found on line.

But I am going to BragLikeJen. Yesterday was my 40th birthday and my husband braved the crowds to buy me a pink Movado watch. It's dainty & girlie and I <3 it!!!! (No, not a typical birthday present around here)

dokidoki
Learner
Learner

Post by dokidoki »

Snobbitch wrote:
dokidoki wrote:Anyone go Black Friday shopping today? Let me live vicariously through your purchases! Canada had a few sales but I skipped going out. Probably going to tackle my Christmas shopping online!
I tend to Black Friday shop on my computer since most of the deals can be found on line.

But I am going to BragLikeJen. Yesterday was my 40th birthday and my husband braved the crowds to buy me a pink Movado watch. It's dainty & girlie and I <3 it!!!! (No, not a typical birthday present around here)
Happy Belated Birthday Snobbitch!!!! Image

organizedPhlegm
Informer
Informer

Snobbitch wrote:

happy birthday snobbitch! enjoy your time keeping device for years to come ;)

lolobird
Talker
Talker

Post by lolobird »

Late to the party, but I actually made a Black Friday purchase for the first time ever and it was kind of fun. The store was crowded but nowhere near the insanity of places like Best Buy and Target. Anyway, I got a 12-cup coffee maker and after I get my rebate it'll come out to be less than $11 including tax. We have a 10 year old "to-go" coffee maker so only 2 people can make 1 cup of coffee at a time right now, so this is pretty exciting in our house.

On an unrelated note and sorry if it's technically "OT" here since it relates to Jen... This is going to sound like I've turned around and became a Jenfender. I haven't. Everything that pissed me off about Jen before still stands... But I was reading a few threads here on GG and GOMI (I prefer to laugh at internet drama than participate in family drama) and suddenly Jen and even Don don't seem that bad... Granted it's a totally skewed comparison, most anyone would look decent compared to a lot of the bloggers I'm thinking of, but seeing these new-to-me-bloggers outside of my own Feedly was kind of a shock because I found myself thinking Jen has many flaws and qualities that are unlikeable at best, but really she's far from the worst. Maybe I've been "lucky" to have been essentially oblivious to these internet famous people before, but holy cow there's really a large cesspool of bloggers/vloggers out there with an alarmingly larger following.

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

I tried to do online black friday shopping in between cooking for our second Thanksgiving, but I couldn't find anything I wanted. Today's Cyber Monday deals are not really doing it for me either. Maybe I just don't feel like shopping. The one thing I'm doing is buying Cards Against Humanity's "Ten Days of Kwanzza" deal because we freaking love that game.

Frozen Candy
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Frozen Candy »

So the wife and I just booked tickets and a hotel for Chicago the end of the month/beginning of January. I feel like some of you live in the Chicago area/are more familiar with the places Jennifer goes. Can I get any suggestions on restaurants? We have sightseeing figured out, but neither of us are terribly familiar with Chicago so I figured this was as good a place as any to "reach out" for some advice. I appreciate it!! <3

Snobbitch
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Snobbitch »

What kind of food do you like? And DO NOT skip Chicago Style pizza at Gino's East. And never ask for ketchup on a hot dog ;)

Frozen Candy
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Frozen Candy »

Snobbitch wrote:What kind of food do you like? And DO NOT skip Chicago Style pizza at Gino's East. And never ask for ketchup on a hot dog ;)
Just about anything. We have reservations for Mastro's for dinner one of the nights. We're staying in the Magnificent Mile district. Will definitely have to check out Gino's East!

breakfast-princess
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by breakfast-princess »

I entered that stupid erin condren gift card contest on her blog, because it would satisfy me so much to put my shit in one of those prissy notebooks. I was on the website, and there are no women of color in the photos of the products. Sooooo white.
Have you been sleeping, Dale? You got kind of that county fair smell.

Princess LushBomb
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Princess LushBomb »

Nope. She sure doesn't, Breakfast Princess.

She can also not take a normal looking picture.

And what is up with her hand here. ugh It looks like a claw the way she has it on whatever she's resting it on and the death grip on the pen. Like Jen, she is only thankful for all the money she makes screwing over her minions. :roll: Jen is just thankful for the money she gets from youtube (not enough to cover her sprees) and Don (to cover everything she overspends) .

[instagram][/instagram]
"Did you all take stupid pills this morning?" credit given to Mr. Potato Head

Return to “Pretty Neat Living”