Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed Part 2

7abiib_azzubb
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed Part 2

Post by 7abiib_azzubb »

Merpedy wrote:I can't see Phil getting a big deal. His shows right now are full of personal opinion and the information we have seen to be given is often biased. I don't understand how he will run a news network if he cannot cover a story fully (with the correct research) and unbiased. I understand that his own opinion bit of appeal for his audience and generally is a bit different but he has shown time and time again that he cannot do this fairly - he either bashes the people involved or shrugs his shoulders.
Listen, I hope to God no one gives Phil his own show, but all news networks are biased towards who funds them and have segments or dedicated shows that are based mostly on personal opinion. I hate to say it, but he'd fit right in.

Merpedy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Merpedy »

7abiib_azzubb wrote:
Merpedy wrote:I can't see Phil getting a big deal. His shows right now are full of personal opinion and the information we have seen to be given is often biased. I don't understand how he will run a news network if he cannot cover a story fully (with the correct research) and unbiased. I understand that his own opinion bit of appeal for his audience and generally is a bit different but he has shown time and time again that he cannot do this fairly - he either bashes the people involved or shrugs his shoulders.
Listen, I hope to God no one gives Phil his own show, but all news networks are biased towards who funds them and have segments or dedicated shows that are based mostly on personal opinion. I hate to say it, but he'd fit right in.
Thing with news reporters though is that they at least report the news while not giving an opinion. He can't stand there talking for full 5 minutes about his opinion. Fair enough, cover the story in a bias way but talking about your opinion as a reporter isn't really seen much (at least in the UK). You're just there to report facts for the most part

dsgfsg
Wanderer
Wanderer
Been thanked: 0

Post by dsgfsg »

What is he exactly doing with the money people are giving to him?
I don't really speak English so I don't know how to phrase this, but he makes his' staff (editors, etc) do other work like building the sets and putting those sound proof things, my point is that he is making them do work that is not in their job description, why? people are giving him a lot of money and he can't even hire professionals to build the sets and thinks like that.

prettyjay
Talker
Talker

Post by prettyjay »

Dinosaurs spending tons of money on less than desirable business models is kind of the norm now. So many big companies are completely out of touch and desperate to throw money at anything that makes them seem current, I'd be really surprised if Phil didn't end up getting some sort of financial deal out of his network. The personal information Patreon provides him about his Patrons is something investors with their hands in data mining are already drooling over I'm sure.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/DeFranco

Malyksha
Learner
Learner

Post by Malyksha »

prettyjay wrote:Dinosaurs spending tons of money on less than desirable business models is kind of the norm now. So many big companies are completely out of touch and desperate to throw money at anything that makes them seem current, I'd be really surprised if Phil didn't end up getting some sort of financial deal out of his network. The personal information Patreon provides him about his Patrons is something investors with their hands in data mining are already drooling over I'm sure.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/DeFranco

That is scary! How that is legal?
At least Russia's fakes are honesty about their phoniness.

monak
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by monak »

dsgfsg wrote:What is he exactly doing with the money people are giving to him?
Blowing it at Best Buy.

12thplace
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by 12thplace »

monak wrote:
dsgfsg wrote:What is he exactly doing with the money people are giving to him?
Blowing it at Best Buy.
And Linz is blowing it on dumb shit.

Merpedy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Merpedy »

Has this happened?
Taking our 4-5 days a week Philip DeFranco Show, and getting the channel to 7 videos a week
Take our 2 days a week PhillyD channel, to 5-7 days a week.
(taken from his Patreon page)

Otherwise there actually hasn't been any progress and the whole thing is a bit of a scam

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nun4GretchenWieners »

Merpedy wrote:Has this happened?
Taking our 4-5 days a week Philip DeFranco Show, and getting the channel to 7 videos a week

Otherwise there actually hasn't been any progress and the whole thing is a bit of a scam
The PhillyD channel, which I believe are vlogs, appears to be 5 days a week now. Honestly I can't see his main channel being 7 days a week. The only way that would work and see a profit is if he got another host. His shows are mediocre at best and it appears that many of his viewers are a little fatigued by him. He needs to keep it fresh, mix it up with a new host every now and then. Although I am aware that he would never do that, due to the fact he believes his face and not what he reports is the money maker. He's slapping his name and image on all of his projects. If it turns out to be a sinking ship he will have a hell of a time trying to rebuild it. His name will be associated with failure.

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by rai1234 »

Lilly_paddycake wrote:

The PhillyD channel, which I believe are vlogs, appears to be 5 days a week now. Honestly I can't see his main channel being 7 days a week. The only way that would work and see a profit is if he got another host. His shows are mediocre at best and it appears that many of his viewers are a little fatigued by him. He needs to keep it fresh, mix it up with a new host every now and then. Although I am aware that he would never do that, due to the fact he believes his face and not what he reports is the money maker. He's slapping his name and image on all of his projects. If it turns out to be a sinking ship he will have a hell of a time trying to rebuild it. His name will be associated with failure.
The vlogs are still only 3 days a week, not 5.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

rai1234 wrote:
The vlogs are still only 3 days a week, not 5.
Oh ok, I was mistaken, thank you.
*edited to add* - his vlog today is a reminder to myself why I very rarely watch his videos. His inflated ego is ridiculous

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by rai1234 »

Was just thinking about this; Phil is manipulative and low-key gaslighting his fans. E.g:

1. The obvious war against MSM and convincing his fans that they can't be trusted
2. The anti-SJW war as well
3. To make money off his merch, he mentioned several times in vlogs and videos that "NO ONE WOULD BUY THIS SHIRT BECAUSE IT'S SO STUPID", and then he "magically" ends up selling more than he thought
4. When he launched his company, everyday he would post about old SF crew (Steve, Elliott, Joe) visiting his office, getting people hyped up that they might potentially join him, never once correcting said hyped people that they are just visiting and not joining, but they were never heard of again. I bet this was a big factor into getting people to donate in the beginning. Same with Sam, he was in a couple vlogs then completely disappeared
5. His passive aggressive (or just sometimes aggressive) reddit posts when he feels attacked on his own sub, mentioning baby #2 on the way, "behind the scenes" stuff that have been going on for the past year, guilt tripping people by telling them the time he could have taken to do the show was instead spent typing whatever rant he had that day
6. He deleted a reddit thread once that was attacking him, then said it was because he was having a bad day. So everyone is at the mercy of what Phil is feeling that day if they have any criticism (or hate, according to him)

There's definitely a lot more but I'm blanking out right now. I'm still dying to know where all that money people are giving him is going.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

rai1234 wrote:Was just thinking about this; Phil is manipulative and low-key gaslighting his fans. E.g:

1. The obvious war against MSM and convincing his fans that they can't be trusted
3. To make money off his merch, he mentioned several times in vlogs and videos that "NO ONE WOULD BUY THIS SHIRT BECAUSE IT'S SO STUPID", and then he "magically" ends up selling more than he thought
4. When he launched his company, everyday he would post about old SF crew (Steve, Elliott, Joe) visiting his office, getting people hyped up that they might potentially join him, never once correcting said hyped people that they are just visiting and not joining, but they were never heard of again. I bet this was a big factor into getting people to donate in the beginning. Same with Sam, he was in a couple vlogs then completely disappeared
5. His passive aggressive (or just sometimes aggressive) reddit posts when he feels attacked on his own sub, mentioning baby #2 on the way, "behind the scenes" stuff that have been going on for the past year, guilt tripping people by telling them the time he could have taken to do the show was instead spent typing whatever rant he had that day
6. He deleted a reddit thread once that was attacking him, then said it was because he was having a bad day. So everyone is at the mercy of what Phil is feeling that day if they have any criticism (or hate, according to him)

There's definitely a lot more but I'm blanking out right now. I'm still dying to know where all that money people are giving him is going.
These are all feat points! I'm also curious to see how much more of a grace period his Patreon contributors will give him. People don't like to be manipulated especially when they invest their money and don't see anything come of it.

prettyjay
Talker
Talker

Post by prettyjay »

rai1234 wrote:Was just thinking about this; Phil is manipulative and low-key gaslighting his fans. E.g:

The dynamics between Phil and his fans make me uncomfortable for all of the reasons you listed. Many of his followers just seem depressed(or angry) and desperate to feel apart of something, which makes them easy to exploit. Too many of his male fans are the creepy low self esteem types.

I can't believe the people on the $35 and over Patreon tiers only get a poster or a mug every 3 months! I thought he was at least sending them a thank you gift monthly... wow.

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by rai1234 »

prettyjay wrote:

The dynamics between Phil and his fans make me uncomfortable for all of the reasons you listed. Many of his followers just seem depressed and angry and desperate to feel apart of something, which makes them easy to exploit.

I can't believe the people on the $35 and over Patreon tiers only get a poster or a mug every 3 months! I thought he was at least sending them a thank you gift monthly... wow.
I find it funny that he's sending out posters of his "quotes" (talk about narcissism). How many posters does one person need? I also find it hilarious that he has a $500 tier, $1000 tier, and $10,000!! I've never seen those with any other person on Pateron. Does he really think people are willing to pay that money on a project so vague? And the perks of those are just getting credited at end of videos and having Joe make a day for you, like...what?
Something I saw on the subreddit today, apparently he's releasing solo news videos on Patreon that may or may not make it to fb/YT. It makes me think that the whole business model of Patreon for a "news show" is not a good one. It shouldn't be that people who pay get the news first and those who don't pay get them a day or two later. That could work for entertainment imo but not news.

prettyjay
Talker
Talker

Post by prettyjay »

If Phil was struggling to wean himself off of adderall and still function with only a short 5 day a week show, I wonder how he'll be able to manage multiple shows along with two kids? It's weird that he always seems very excited about making the babies but sets up his life so that he's away from them when he has the money to stay home and enjoy them like most working dads wish they could.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Sorry I meant *great* not feat

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by rai1234 »

prettyjay wrote:

If Phil was struggling to wean himself off of adderall and still function with only a short 5 day a week show, I wonder how he'll be able to manage multiple shows along with two kids? It's weird that he always seems very excited about making the babies but sets up his life so that he's away from them when he has the money to stay home and enjoy them like most working dads wish they could.
Yeah it's crazy how when they found out Linz was pregnant with Trey, he had big company stuff going on, and now a few months into the second pregnancy, he took on another massive project even though he had kept talking about nothing happening until early 2018. It seems like Linz is pretty understanding but she also was the one who wanted out of LA and they were looking to move in the next year but they said they're now locked down in LA for another couple years at least (hence her redecorating the house).

prettyjay
Talker
Talker

Post by prettyjay »

rai1234 wrote:I find it funny that he's sending out posters of his "quotes" (talk about narcissism). How many posters does one person need? I also find it hilarious that he has a $500 tier, $1000 tier, and $10,000!! I've never seen those with any other person on Pateron. Does he really think people are willing to pay that money on a project so vague? And the perks of those are just getting credited at end of videos and having Joe make a day for you, like...what?
Something I saw on the subreddit today, apparently he's releasing solo news videos on Patreon that may or may not make it to fb/YT. It makes me think that the whole business model of Patreon for a "news show" is not a good one. It shouldn't be that people who pay get the news first and those who don't pay get them a day or two later. That could work for entertainment imo but not news.
It looks like people were paying the $1,000 a month tier at first after he first launched, not sure if they stuck around.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DeFranco/comme ... atreon_is/

I think he's very calculated about how he markets himself and very clear on the types of people who are likely to respond and give him money:

https://youtu.be/ELkkKRAuM1E?t=2m49s

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

prettyjay wrote: I think he's very calculated about how he markets himself and very clear on the types of people who are likely to respond and give him money:

[url]<a class="vglnk" href="[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>youtu</span><span>.</span><span>be</span><span>/</span><span>ELkkKRAuM1E</span><span>?</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>2m49s</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>]
Id never seen this before. Seeing the first guy mad me sad. He was so excited to meet him but felt like he needed to donate more money. I think you are correct that he is very calculated on whom he targets for donations :| it didn't sit right with me.

Return to “Phil DeFranco / SourceFed / TheDeFrancoFam”