• Advertisement

Kalyn Nicholson

Kalyn Nicholson

Postby DaylightAmy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:49 am

I generally love Kalyn's channel and her personality, she seems really real to me and her videos are actually helpful and honest... but I'm getting a bit annoyed by her constantly using a camera with a beauty filter (a setting that smooths your skin out and makes your complexion look better as you're filming, no editing needed). When you look at her talking to the camera you can SEE her face has been blurred out extremely by the camera. Since she is so real and often states she wants to be real with her audience, I'm disappointed she insists on hiding the fact that we all have skin imperfections. I understand it's hard to put yourself out there I just didn't think that that's who she was.

You can literally see the blur by how overly sharp and dark her eyes look:

"The baby's in the baby room and I'm taking care of it. I'm a selfish person I guess. [...] It's okay. I don't hate it."
~ CinnamonToastKen about his daughter
DaylightAmy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Advertisement

Re: Kalyn Nicholson

Postby LurkxAway » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Just two days ago i searched for a Kalyn thread but nothing!! And when i saw you started a topic i got so happy!
I can honestly say that I really really like her channel and her content! I enjoy her videos a lot and I binge watched every single one of them when i found her channel!
I don't really mind her using the beauty filter.. As long as she continues producing good videos! You can really see the effort she puts in editing and I appreciate that! I am so done with all the big youtubers and Kalyn is like fresh air to me!
LurkxAway
Talker
Talker

Postby manyshiny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Whoa, I did not notice the filter at all! That's disappointing because it seems like it goes against everything her channel is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manyshiny
Wallflower
Wallflower

Postby DaylightAmy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 am

manyshiny wrote:Whoa, I did not notice the filter at all! That's disappointing because it seems like it goes against everything her channel is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's the only reason why it sort of irks me. The thing I love about her channel is that she's so real and unfiltered about what life as a young adult is, and how we all have flaws and insecurities and how to realistically deal with them... I mean it's her choice, I just don't think it's necessary, she's gorgeous and I can't imagine that filter is hiding very much in terms of flaws.

Also lately I've been just a WEE bit annoyed after this video:

Just to be clear I have ZERO problems with YouTubers accepting gifts or deals from brands, whether they actually believe in them or not - YouTube is a job, and especially with all the ad drama lately, YouTubers kind of HAVE to accept sponsors or gifts to an extent. That's fine.

But lately brands have been giving "gifts" (trips and vacations) to influencers instead of payments to get out from under the FCC rule that you have to add a disclaimer when you endorse them. This trip was clearly sponsored by a brand for her to come to a brand event, which she never mentions in the video or description, and then in the description she promotes the brand that flew her out there (I would presume)... I just don't get why she didn't just say "they flew me out here", especially when you look closer at her description of the brand.

I don't know how into veganism or cruelty free anyone reading here is, but basically generally the consensus among vegans/cruelty free buyers is that any company under L'Oreal is a no-go, because L'Oreal still allows their products to be tested on animals in order to be able to sell in China. So if you buy from a brand that is UNDER L'Oreal, you are bringing profit to L'Oreal, who continue to export to China and condone animal testing (and let's face it, it's not like L'Oreal would go under without China). And this brand she is endorsing, after they sent her to France, is under L'Oreal and she says in her endorsement of this brand that that's okay because "L'Oreal is talking to China about changing the rules". If you're really vegan, in my opinion, talking about it really shouldn't be enough - and it makes me wonder if it would be enough if they weren't sending her to France.

I don't mean to be the vegan police - there are vegans who DO buy from cruelty-free brands that are under "umbrella companies" that export to China, and if that's your choice, that's your choice, I can respect that; but the fact that she fails to disclose they gave her a free vacation to France and then explains away the exporting to China by saying they're talking to China about the testing kind of makes me think she's in her own grey area...
"The baby's in the baby room and I'm taking care of it. I'm a selfish person I guess. [...] It's okay. I don't hate it."
~ CinnamonToastKen about his daughter
DaylightAmy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Postby roseandsage » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 am

I love her, but I can't stand how orange she seems to have gotten since Coachella. And it's not even a normal orange; she looks jaundiced.
roseandsage
Lurker
Lurker

Postby ilychee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:48 pm

So I found out about Kalyn about 2-3 months ago from some gossip thread about her asking for help from another Youtuber.. and then not giving any credit at all. Does anyone remember who the Youtuber was?

I really like Kalyn's videos though; watching her motivates me to be more disciplined and work harder. She has really great work ethic, and plans all her content in advance. Unlike a lot of Youtubers she treats Youtube as a job.
ilychee
Learner
Learner

Postby manyshiny » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:21 pm

ilychee wrote:So I found out about Kalyn about 2-3 months ago from some gossip thread about her asking for help from another Youtuber.. and then not giving any credit at all. Does anyone remember who the Youtuber was?

I really like Kalyn's videos though; watching her motivates me to be more disciplined and work harder. She has really great work ethic, and plans all her content in advance. Unlike a lot of Youtubers she treats Youtube as a job.

I have no idea who the Youtuber was but that's really disappointing
manyshiny
Wallflower
Wallflower

• Advertisement

Return to A-M
  • Advertisement
VigLink badge