• Advertisement

Kate Flowers

Kate Flowers

Postby girl_please » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Does anyone else watch her? I started watching her channel about a year ago and she has gained an audience fairly quickly (140K in a little over a year). There are things that rub me the wrong way about her and I was surprised no one has talked about her yet.

Some of my biggest gripes are:
1) How she treats Mae. Did anyone see their live video? I can't find it now, I think she took it down because she was getting so much criticism about how rude she comes off when she isn't edited. Their relationship makes me sad because you can tell Mae is a much more loving person and Kate doesn't seem to reciprocate that love as much.

2) She constantly talks (almost brags?) about her weight and body, despite having had an eating disorder, she should know how triggering that can be for people.

3) (This one is nit-picky, but...) She has "LGBT" in her title sequence, but doesn't seem to promote anything that is LGBTQIA+ related, other than being like "here's my girlfriend/kinda fiance." Not that she has to, but don't add it in your title sequence if you're not going to talk about it.

4) She presents false information as facts, such as needing to do cleanses. No one needs to do the type of cleanses she promotes, if you are doing a cleanse it should be a healthy/clean eating one, not a not-eating one. And if it is a not-eating one, at least be honest about it, if you are not eating you are doing it to lose weight.

5) She doesn't always come off as completely genuine. She has a different (softer/girlier and more excited) voice she puts on for videos sometimes, but it's not all of the time, that's how you can tell it isn't natural for her.

I'm curious to hear what other people think of her. Believe it or not I actually don't hate her either. I'm just bothered by a lot things she does and wanted to see what other people thought of her. I see it in her comments section sometimes, but I wanted to see what people said on here.
girl_please
Wanderer
Wanderer

Advertisement

Re: Kate Flowers

Postby lightlysalted » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 pm

I literally made an account here just to answer this. I haven't seen the livestream with Mae, and honestly, it kind of surprises me cause she always seem so in love with her, but I guess it's harder to put up such a fake persona live. I began watching her when she had only like, 40,00 subscribers or something like that. I'm vegan and I was just looking around vegan youtube because I had no idea what it was about. Immediately, she reminded me of the vegans that rubbed me the wrong way. The super positive, glowey, new-agey stuff. There was a restaurant where I live that was only raw vegan food and communal seating- the food names were stuff like "I Am Grateful" or "I Am Joyous"- shit like that. I can't jive with it. She fits that to a T. But I watched her because...idk...she was kinda interesting? She made some cool salads and smoothies and stuff and, to be honest, I'm weird with my weight and food (as a lot of vegans on youtube seem to be) so I watched her because she ate a shit load and was still super skinny. Not very healthy on my end, but, there ya go.
I started being really annoyed with her when she had this Q&A video with Mae where some one asked if they fed their cats meat, and they were talking about how they did but were looking into making them vegan/buying them vegan cat food/whatever. That's bullshit, I can't stand it. It's also why I can't really get on with BiteSizedVegan.
And the cleanses...jesus...just admit you do it for your weight. NO ONE BELIEVES IT IS FOR YOUR HEALTH OR MIND OR WHATEVS. Fasting is healthy in small doses (like, 24 hour fasts once a week) but not for days on end. Did you see her Master Cleanse videos? It was so disturbing the way she was justifying it. Juice fasts spike your blood sugar like no other- but I think a lot of those raw vegans are basically living on sugar highs. As for false information/bad research/willful ignorance...that's just a hallmark of the youtube vegan community, I think. They only look for resarch that is going to support their word view. But I guess most people do that :?
I also agree with the LGBT thing. Other than being a hot femme lesbian and showing off her hot femme-ish fiance, idk that I have ever heard them discussing their sexuality or their struggles with it (if they had any, I mean). In the same Q&A with the vegan cat thing, they both mentioned coming out to their parents, but other than that, it's like...not a peep.
I don't hate/dislike her either, I just think she spreads some pretty harmful and straight up false info. Her and Alyse (UGH) I don't follow her anymore, but I know a lot of people are all about her and stuff, which is weird because you're right- she seems so inauthentic and forced with her over the top sweetness. But I'm just a bitter hag, what do I know?!
lightlysalted
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby lightlysalted » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 pm

I literally made an account here just to answer this. I haven't seen the livestream with Mae, and honestly, it kind of surprises me cause she always seem so in love with her, but I guess it's harder to put up such a fake persona live. I began watching her when she had only like, 40,00 subscribers or something like that. I'm vegan and I was just looking around vegan youtube because I had no idea what it was about. Immediately, she reminded me of the vegans that rubbed me the wrong way. The super positive, glowey, new-agey stuff. There was a restaurant where I live that was only raw vegan food and communal seating- the food names were stuff like "I Am Grateful" or "I Am Joyous"- shit like that. I can't jive with it. She fits that to a T. But I watched her because...idk...she was kinda interesting? She made some cool salads and smoothies and stuff and, to be honest, I'm weird with my weight and food (as a lot of vegans on youtube seem to be) so I watched her because she ate a shit load and was still super skinny. Not very healthy on my end, but, there ya go.
I started being really annoyed with her when she had this Q&A video with Mae where some one asked if they fed their cats meat, and they were talking about how they did but were looking into making them vegan/buying them vegan cat food/whatever. That's bullshit, I can't stand it. It's also why I can't really get on with BiteSizedVegan.
And the cleanses...jesus...just admit you do it for your weight. NO ONE BELIEVES IT IS FOR YOUR HEALTH OR MIND OR WHATEVS. Fasting is healthy in small doses (like, 24 hour fasts once a week) but not for days on end. Did you see her Master Cleanse videos? It was so disturbing the way she was justifying it. Juice fasts spike your blood sugar like no other- but I think a lot of those raw vegans are basically living on sugar highs. As for false information/bad research/willful ignorance...that's just a hallmark of the youtube vegan community, I think. They only look for resarch that is going to support their word view. But I guess most people do that :?
I also agree with the LGBT thing. Other than being a hot femme lesbian and showing off her hot femme-ish fiance, idk that I have ever heard them discussing their sexuality or their struggles with it (if they had any, I mean). In the same Q&A with the vegan cat thing, they both mentioned coming out to their parents, but other than that, it's like...not a peep.
I don't hate/dislike her either, I just think she spreads some pretty harmful and straight up false info. Her and Alyse (UGH) I don't follow her anymore, but I know a lot of people are all about her and stuff, which is weird because you're right- she seems so inauthentic and forced with her over the top sweetness. But I'm just a bitter hag, what do I know?!
lightlysalted
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby girl_please » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 am

lightlysalted wrote:I literally made an account here just to answer this. I haven't seen the livestream with Mae, and honestly, it kind of surprises me cause she always seem so in love with her, but I guess it's harder to put up such a fake persona live. I began watching her when she had only like, 40,00 subscribers or something like that. I'm vegan and I was just looking around vegan youtube because I had no idea what it was about. Immediately, she reminded me of the vegans that rubbed me the wrong way. The super positive, glowey, new-agey stuff. There was a restaurant where I live that was only raw vegan food and communal seating- the food names were stuff like "I Am Grateful" or "I Am Joyous"- shit like that. I can't jive with it. She fits that to a T. But I watched her because...idk...she was kinda interesting? She made some cool salads and smoothies and stuff and, to be honest, I'm weird with my weight and food (as a lot of vegans on youtube seem to be) so I watched her because she ate a shit load and was still super skinny. Not very healthy on my end, but, there ya go.

I created my account to make this thread! Bitter hags unite. I was so excited to see someone had responded! I didn't want to straight up complain about her in her comments section, but I wanted to discuss the problematic parts of her and her channel a bit and this seemed like the natural place to do that.

I totally agree with you about vegans (especially vegan youtubers) having issues with weight and body image. It's a diet, like any other, but it can be masked behind compassion, so not many people will call you out on it. How many vegans have had eating disorders in the past and, let's be honest, most likely currently still do? I would say it's a pretty high percentage. I honestly think Kate still does suffer from an eating disorder (no longer anorexia, but still), I also believe that people with eating disorders are never cured from it either, they just learn to manage it better. The way she talks about her eating disorder being behind her, her strict diet, and the fact that she obsessively talks about her body is a huge red flag to me. This is coming from someone with an eating disorder too, so I'm probably harsher than I would be on someone who doesn't share something like that. I'm not bashing vegans either, I don't eat animal products, but I don't call myself a vegan because it invites too much scrutiny if I claim that title because I'm not super careful about every single ingredient, but it is why I'm interested in watching vegan youtubers.

I won't ask where you live, but I went to art school in a west coast city that had a restaurant like the one you described and I could never bring myself to go there because I felt too stupid saying an order like that out loud.

Mae is definitely the part about her channel I am most interested in, not sure why. I just want Kate to be nicer to her.
Some uncomfortable parts from the livestream:
They were asked if they wanted kids and Mae said she'd like to adopt kids and Kate said no kids, no way, they'll have to discuss that more because they aren't on the same page
Kate asked Mae to get her guitar to play music and then never really gave her to chance to play - which is whatever, but it was kinda awkward
Kate kept cutting Mae out of the frame and telling her to move when it seemed like they had enough room to comfortably sit and both be in the frame together
Kate also always cuts Mae off when she's talking - I think this is because Kate is the more assertive one and Mae is more easy-going
They kept saying they aren't wedding planning - well duh, they've been "engaged" for 5 years. I'm snarky about this one because I don't think you're engaged if you carry on like you're dating, to me you are engaged if you are actively planning a wedding. I'm not saying you have to do the normal route of getting engaged and then plan a wedding for a year or however long and then get married, but have a plan for it at least, it seems like a less meaningful gesture if there isn't a plan for a wedding. I just worry that one of them (Kate) doesn't want to get married and that's why they keep putting it off.
The general mood of the livestream was that Mae was upbeat and saying how much fun it was and they should do it more often and Kate did not appear to be having a great time.

I'm someone who roots for couples, so I hope things work out well for them, but they seem like they need to discuss some issues. Mainly the kids thing. That's a dealbreaker for so many people. It's sad.
girl_please
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby lightlysalted » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 pm

girl_please wrote:
lightlysalted wrote:I literally made an account here just to answer this. I haven't seen the livestream with Mae, and honestly, it kind of surprises me cause she always seem so in love with her, but I guess it's harder to put up such a fake persona live. I began watching her when she had only like, 40,00 subscribers or something like that. I'm vegan and I was just looking around vegan youtube because I had no idea what it was about. Immediately, she reminded me of the vegans that rubbed me the wrong way. The super positive, glowey, new-agey stuff. There was a restaurant where I live that was only raw vegan food and communal seating- the food names were stuff like "I Am Grateful" or "I Am Joyous"- shit like that. I can't jive with it. She fits that to a T. But I watched her because...idk...she was kinda interesting? She made some cool salads and smoothies and stuff and, to be honest, I'm weird with my weight and food (as a lot of vegans on youtube seem to be) so I watched her because she ate a shit load and was still super skinny. Not very healthy on my end, but, there ya go.

I created my account to make this thread! Bitter hags unite. I was so excited to see someone had responded! I didn't want to straight up complain about her in her comments section, but I wanted to discuss the problematic parts of her and her channel a bit and this seemed like the natural place to do that.

I totally agree with you about vegans (especially vegan youtubers) having issues with weight and body image. It's a diet, like any other, but it can be masked behind compassion, so not many people will call you out on it. How many vegans have had eating disorders in the past and, let's be honest, most likely currently still do? I would say it's a pretty high percentage. I honestly think Kate still does suffer from an eating disorder (no longer anorexia, but still), I also believe that people with eating disorders are never cured from it either, they just learn to manage it better. The way she talks about her eating disorder being behind her, her strict diet, and the fact that she obsessively talks about her body is a huge red flag to me. This is coming from someone with an eating disorder too, so I'm probably harsher than I would be on someone who doesn't share something like that. I'm not bashing vegans either, I don't eat animal products, but I don't call myself a vegan because it invites too much scrutiny if I claim that title because I'm not super careful about every single ingredient, but it is why I'm interested in watching vegan youtubers.

I won't ask where you live, but I went to art school in a west coast city that had a restaurant like the one you described and I could never bring myself to go there because I felt too stupid saying an order like that out loud.

Mae is definitely the part about her channel I am most interested in, not sure why. I just want Kate to be nicer to her.
Some uncomfortable parts from the livestream:
They were asked if they wanted kids and Mae said she'd like to adopt kids and Kate said no kids, no way, they'll have to discuss that more because they aren't on the same page
Kate asked Mae to get her guitar to play music and then never really gave her to chance to play - which is whatever, but it was kinda awkward
Kate kept cutting Mae out of the frame and telling her to move when it seemed like they had enough room to comfortably sit and both be in the frame together
Kate also always cuts Mae off when she's talking - I think this is because Kate is the more assertive one and Mae is more easy-going
They kept saying they aren't wedding planning - well duh, they've been "engaged" for 5 years. I'm snarky about this one because I don't think you're engaged if you carry on like you're dating, to me you are engaged if you are actively planning a wedding. I'm not saying you have to do the normal route of getting engaged and then plan a wedding for a year or however long and then get married, but have a plan for it at least, it seems like a less meaningful gesture if there isn't a plan for a wedding. I just worry that one of them (Kate) doesn't want to get married and that's why they keep putting it off.
The general mood of the livestream was that Mae was upbeat and saying how much fun it was and they should do it more often and Kate did not appear to be having a great time.

I'm someone who roots for couples, so I hope things work out well for them, but they seem like they need to discuss some issues. Mainly the kids thing. That's a dealbreaker for so many people. It's sad.

Ugh, I know this was forever ago, but I just saw one of her videos in my suggestions and I started think about this again! Mae seems really nice, but she also kind of gives me a super follower kind of vibe--like the only reason she is vegan is because she is with Kate, and so now she is super into it? Idk I kind of feel like if they broke up, she wouldn't be vegan anymore. I feel like she would go onto some other health fad or whatever, based on how she speaks about "toxins" and shit. But yeah, for a couple who has been together THAT LONG and to STILL not know what the other wants in the kid department? That's....weird. I get that shit out of the way almost immediately in any relationship I'm in cause I don't want that to bite me in the ass further down the line once real feelings get involved. And I can believe that Kate could being kind of snippy with people, especially Mae, because she is such a control freak. Nobody who has an easy going personality becomes a ballerina AND an anorexic, in my experience lol She needs 1000% of the spot light, the control. That's just how it seems to me, anyway, but maybe I'm totally wrong and behind the scenes she lets Mae fuckin speak every once in a while :roll:
lightlysalted
Wanderer
Wanderer

• Advertisement

Return to A-M
  • Advertisement