Sarah "Benjamin Button" Hawkinson General Thread Part 2

Heyholetsgo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sarah "Benjamin Button" Hawkinson General Thread Part 2

Post by Heyholetsgo »

I think "works in fashion" is Sarah language for "retail". No shame in that game baby but call it what it is. Selling shit on depop or working in retail and fast fashion doesn't exactly mean "working in fashion".
Gossiping doesn't make you a cunt, being a cunt makes you a cunt.

Toki Wartooth
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by Toki Wartooth »

Heyholetsgo wrote:I think "works in fashion" is Sarah language for "retail". No shame in that game baby but call it what it is. Selling shit on depop or working in retail and fast fashion doesn't exactly mean "working in fashion".
I think you're right! That's probably why she's so vague about her job because she doesn't want to admit that she works at a clothing store or whatever. She's trying to make it sound like she has some interesting important job by saying she's working in "fashion." :rofl:

salviaplath
Learner
Learner

Post by salviaplath »

I think she might work for some kind of fashion blogger or something like that? She has posted on twitter that her title is 'fashion assistant' or something along those lines. I don't follow her on snapchat anymore, but when I did she would post photos behind the scenes of product/clothing photoshoots with a caption about being at work.

Plus in a recent vlog she said everything is hectic for her right now because they were launching something new so that makes me think it's some type of blog or maybe some kind of small boutique-esque online store?

Heyholetsgo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Heyholetsgo »

Lol. Fashion assistant. So she is an assistant. The word fashion is thrown in there for credibility. Wonder if it's unpaid or low paying internship instead of an actual job.
Plot twist: she works for hrhcollection. :rofl: wouldn't that be hilarious?

daisylike
Talker
Talker

Post by daisylike »

There is a book by a Portuguese Psychiatrist about people like Sarah who self-diagnose and only focus on mental illness. I tend to be suspicious of people who self-diagnose, but I also respect that one is the best to determine whether we feel OK or not. BUT, and there is a BUTT, Sarah is just sooo annoying because there is much more to life than mental illness (and that comes from a person with mental illness). She basically misrepresents those who struggle with mental illness but manage to talk about other stuff. Also, that story about feeling sooo bad whilst driving that she sometimes loses control driving is bs. I have seen some of her driving vlogs and she is perfectly fine. When I am experiencing high anxiety I do not talk to a camera nor do I seem all perked up.

daisylike
Talker
Talker

Post by daisylike »

Swav wrote:^^ Not sure but if it does I'd be very confident that that's what's going on with her. It's just way out of control now. The more she talks about mental health and psychology on her channel the worse her own gets. Like the fact that she now says both horror movies and Halloween - two of her absolute fave things in this world - are these big triggers for her is crazy. I don't really see her purposely faking it all for views (I've never seen Sarah as an evil manipulative person) but I can def see it as a hypochondriac type of thing that she doesn't realize is happening. Actually now that I think about it I think a while back someone mentioned that this sort of thing happens to a lot of psych students... something like that. If I can find the post I'll quote it. Either way, it's pretty obvious one way or another that psychology is NOT the career path Sarah should be taking. This is, again, ridiculous at this point.
I studied Psychology and I understand the phenomenon you are referring to. We have classes that focus solely on diagnosing mental disorders and most of the class focus on diagnostic criteria (usually the DSM ones) and people tend to overdiagnose themselves. This also happens to Medical students in Pathology classes where the symptoms are rather common and broad and one thinks we can have every disease. However, after being a Psych major for a while you do understand that symptoms do not translate into mental disease unless the part of “causing significant distress to one’s life” is present. I think that Sarah tends to overanalyse and exaggerate things. Just because you feel anxiety does not mean you have an anxiety disorder. Just because you feel sad does not mean you are depressed. etc etc. She tends to label normal emotions, which are adaptive, as disorders. And it is a rather recent phenomenon because she used to say that she never had experienced anxiety and/or depression, if I remember correctly (It was in a video with her friend, the longest friend, I don’t remember her name).

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

[youtube][/youtube]

Here's that video (from three years ago) where she does an anxiety video with her friend Sam, where she says she has no experience with anxiety.

[youtube][/youtube]

Interesting enough, in THIS video about how she deals with anxiety (from last year), she mentions that old video. She also says that she doesn't feel comfortable talking about mental illnesses she has no experience with. I think we've talked about that previously in this thread, but it made me side eye her hearing that again. Does she mean to say that she has experience with schizophrenia, tons of phobias, psychopathy, all those rare mental illnesses she's done videos on, etc, seeing as how she's talked at length about all of these things?

daisylike
Talker
Talker

Post by daisylike »

Swav wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Here's that video (from three years ago) where she does an anxiety video with her friend Sam, where she says she has no experience with anxiety.

[youtube][/youtube]

Interesting enough, in THIS video about how she deals with anxiety (from last year), she mentions that old video. She also says that she doesn't feel comfortable talking about mental illnesses she has no experience with. I think we've talked about that previously in this thread, but it made me side eye her hearing that again. Does she mean to say that she has experience with schizophrenia, tons of phobias, psychopathy, all those rare mental illnesses she's done videos on, etc, seeing as how she's talked at length about all of these things?

I guess that three/one year ago she was more honest and less interested in using mental illness for money purposes. But then she realised how much she could earn and all her values went down the toilet.

Thank you for finding the video.

Kyratelling46
Learner
Learner

Post by Kyratelling46 »

Although there are some are some really good points above, I do think we all have to remember that we don't know Sarah. We don't know what struggles she goes through daily and we can never judge someones mental illnesses because they don't match our own or the cookie cutter diagnosis. Anxiety can affect anyone at any time, just because she didn't experience it a few years ago, doesn't mean it doesn't affect her now.

Toki Wartooth
Talker
Talker

Post by Toki Wartooth »

Kyratelling46 wrote:Although there are some are some really good points above, I do think we all have to remember that we don't know Sarah. We don't know what struggles she goes through daily and we can never judge someones mental illnesses because they don't match our own or the cookie cutter diagnosis. Anxiety can affect anyone at any time, just because she didn't experience it a few years ago, doesn't mean it doesn't affect her now.
You're right, no one knows what it's like in Sarah's daily life, so we can't know for sure. But it just seems strange to go from never experiencing anxiety to having a full blown anxiety disorder. So I don't doubt that she experiences anxiety (I think that everyone does at some point in their life) but I'm not sure that she has an anxiety disorder. And I'm pretty sure she self-diagnosed as well, she only seems to have started talking with a therapist recently.

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

Everything Kyratelling46 says is true. However, for me personally, my issue is not so much her anxiety because again, it can develop in anyone at any time; it's that she is completely self diagnosed in all these things that seemingly keep popping up, and her hypocrisy in saying that she won't talk about certain things because she has no experience with it and then turns around and recklessly speaks on behalf of really serious mental health issues (schizophrenia, suicidal tendencies, psychopathy, sociopathy, etc etc) like she's a goddamn expert on it.

Also, she very well may legitimately suffer from all of these things she claims, but at this point it's hard to watch her videos and not get the impression that she's exploiting it all (and mental illness in general) because her weird mental illness obsessed fans make her feel like it's the only way she'll get views and therefore $$$. Her psychology videos have gone from informative and interesting (see the old videos with Sam) to straight up negative admiration like "look how terrible this thing is, how awful these symptoms are, isn't it awesome!" Maybe if she went back to the encouraging style she used to have where she'd share positive, helpful coping tips (that she should have covered somewhere in all her psych studying in school) and stress on the fact that it's always best to get professionally diagnosed, we'd be talking about something else on here right now. But, she doesn't, and so we don't.

salviaplath
Learner
Learner

Post by salviaplath »

More proof that Sarah most likely still reads here even though she claims to avoid it: She posted a video discussing self diagnosis. Haven't watched it yet, but that's been a huge theme of her thread lately so....

Heyholetsgo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Heyholetsgo »

Sarah's biggest and only struggle is paying her bills. Let's be honest here. She has a pretty comfortable life. Being "mentally ill" gets her subscribers that watch her videos like she is jordan Peterson because"she has a degree in psych". Never mind that it took her almost a decade to get that BA.

Toki Wartooth
Talker
Talker

Post by Toki Wartooth »

New video about the flawed mental health system. It's sort of a continuation of the self-diagnosis video. The way she was talking in this video was as if she has been working in the mental health field for years as a psychiatrist or something. Although I do agree with some of the things she said in the video, it bothers me how she's acting like she has a lot of experience when really all she did was graduate.

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

^ Yeah. She said a lot of "we would", "we don't", and "i would refer them to..." and stuff to that degree in regards to what psychologists do in their practices. I definitely picked up right away on that too. She tends to go from "i won't talk about that because i don't have experience with it" to completely inserting herself into the field of psychologists. And then she wonders why kids come to her and ask her things as if she's some sort of authority on mental health and why others, like us, call her out on coming off as some authority on mental health.

SourBerry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by SourBerry »

Was anyone a little weirded out when she mentioned her dissociative disorder in her first vlog? Where she had to say her last name and it basically didn't register that it was her last name or something. I always think she self-diagnoses when she says this stuff. I also thought she was only supposed to be at her parents for a month or two. For some reason how she talks makes it seem longer.

I also don't think she will ever get her Masters.

Toki Wartooth
Talker
Talker

Post by Toki Wartooth »

SourBerry wrote:Was anyone a little weirded out when she mentioned her dissociative disorder in her first vlog? Where she had to say her last name and it basically didn't register that it was her last name or something. I always think she self-diagnoses when she says this stuff.
I agree, it seemed a little too personal to share that information online in my opinion. She does seem to self-diagnose, but to be fair she didn't specifically say anything about having a dissociative disorder in this vlog. What she said was depersonalization, which is a symptom of dissociative disorders AND non-dissociative disorders, so she wasn't really claiming to have any specific disorder by saying that.

smashthebox
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smashthebox »

Did she give up on Vlogtober?

daisylike
Talker
Talker

Post by daisylike »

I really like Jess and blblabla but that excuse that her course work increased is that really the case? Compared to mine and my friends course work she does maybe half of it. Literature degrees are always so light on the amount of classes and course work you need to put? Because I come from a Science background and we had a significant higher amount of work than she does.

daisylike
Talker
Talker

Post by daisylike »

smashthebox wrote:Did she give up on Vlogtober?

goblin girl‏ @sarahmhawkinson

I didn’t! I’m house sitting and need to catch up with the editing that’s all :)

That's what she said on twitter. Don't know why house sitting impedes editing but apparently it does.

Return to “P-U”