Girl Boss on Netflix

PeachFlavoredFanta
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Girl Boss on Netflix

Post by PeachFlavoredFanta »

I had read a bit of the Girl Boss book by Sofia Amoruso and have a love/hate relationship with the brand (both the clothing site and the general brand Nasty Gal) so I decided to watch the show on Netflix. I'm not loving it and just find the dialogue a bit annoying. I feel like they tried too hard to prove that Sofia is "Badass" and the reviews have been really mixed. has anyone else tried watching this show?

inmensidad
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Re: Girl Boss on Netflix

Post by inmensidad »

I watched the first episode last night and have mixed feelings about it. In terms of production I don't have any problem with it, it's a quality TV show, but everything seems WAY TOO exaggerated. Like, the scene where Sophia steals a carpet is ridiculous, she just walks away with it. It's not like a small thing that nobody notices.
Also, I don't like the feel that it gives. They show a character who fell down low but we know that in a few episodes she'll become so so successful, etc... It screams American dream so much that it hurts.

PeachFlavoredFanta
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by PeachFlavoredFanta »

I don't want to sound like a grandma, but I would have preferred a mini documentary about Girl Boss and Sofia or a more accurate version of her story. Most people who want to watch the Netflix show are likely fans of the book, the brand and Sofia and might want to work in a similar industry as her. I feel the same way about the So Cosmo! on E! Network. I was an intern at Cosmo and couldn't be bothered to watch it.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but I miss the old "Behind the scene" type shows/mini documentaries from like VH1 and MTV. You actually learned a lot about the person while being entertained and inspired.

xiaoluzi02
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by xiaoluzi02 »

assaasasasd

breakneckspeed
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by breakneckspeed »

I watched the series a month ago and read the book after. I liked the show better because it was more entertaining than the book. The book itself was good but I felt like it was 50% Sophia's story and 50% life advice. Good content but I was expecting more about the inside of NastyGal.

Freckhles
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Freckhles »

I don't see what the point of that show is and I don't see what the point of making "Girlboss" some empowering title is. I mean, you're an adult, you're SUPPOSED to have your life and your shit together. Some silly third-wave feminist movement "empowering" women to act like the adults they're supposed to be is just a waste of time. That should have stayed as a book or made into a documentary, not a show.

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

I liked this show! I had never heard of Nasty Gal or the person who the show was based on before watching it, so maybe that helped. I found the character annoying at times with how incompetent she seemed, but the show ended up sucking me in. I hate that there won't be a season 2 when they left things so unresolved.

Return to “Comedy”